Launching the Africa Study Bible
Launching the Africa Study Bible
With the launch of the Africa Study Bible, Africans will have a vital resource that relates Scripture to the African heart.
With the launch of the Africa Study Bible, Africans will have a vital resource that relates Scripture to the African heart. Read more
About this project
AT A GLANCE
- This brand new study Bible will help connect scripture to everyday life in Africa.
- The Africa Study Bible combines clear, accurate text of modern translations of the Bible (NLT) with study tools that reflect uniquely African insights and experiences.
- With over 2,200 notes written by 300 contributors from 50 countries, the Africa Study Bible may be the most ethnically diverse, one volume biblical resource to date.
- Demand for the Africa Study Bible is already quite high with over 200,000 orders from Africa, but our first goal is to supply the first 100,000 copies with the help of this Kickstarter campaign.
- You can download the free Africa Study Bible: Gospel of John app in the Apple or Android app stores for a preview of the features and content of the Africa Study Bible!
- Help us launch the Africa Study Bible by pledging to our Kickstarter campaign and spreading the word!
Hundreds of millions of Africans know and love Christ. However, most discipleship and biblical resources come from a Western perspective—a culture far removed from their own. Africa’s wonderful and rich influence on the early church from the Ethiopian eunuch through Augustine is being rekindled.
The Africa Study Bible bridges the gap of cultural understanding and Scriptural relevance by revealing the truth and beauty of God's Word through African eyes.
With the launch of this study Bible, Africans will have a resource that speaks directly to their heart, relating the Bible to their everyday life.
Developed by Africans, the notes of the Africa Study Bible are “...bubbling up from underneath. The biblical truth is percolating through from the bottom to create a rich and textured tapestry that Africans can claim as their own" (Dr. John Jusu, Supervising Editor). Over 2,200 features speak truth with a uniquely African perspective. Written by more than 300 contributors from over 50 countries in four major languages, the Africa Study Bible may be the most ethnically diverse, one volume biblical resource to date.
While our goal is to eventually publish the Africa Study Bible (ASB) in all of Africa's major languages, it will initially be published in English using the New Living Translation followed by French and Portuguese translations in the years to come. By printing in these three languages, the ASB will have its greatest impact, reaching up to 70% of literate African Christians.
We expect to launch this year in Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, and South Africa. We have formed local African-led launch committees in each of these countries and are partnering with them to orchestrate all the details. We are all very excited and anxiously awaiting the arrival of the ASB. We continue to be encouraged by the anticipation of our African partners and you will be too as we share updates with you along the way.
We are so close to completing this project but need your help to launch the ASB in Africa! With your support, this life-transforming study Bible can be available to the millions of Christians who deeply desire to fully understand and apply God's Word through the rich tapestry of their African culture and heritage.
In 2011, leaders from across the African continent met and decided: a study Bible would help bridge the gap of cultural understanding and relevance of the Scripture to everyday life in Africa. Their goal in that meeting was to create a resource that would disciple and equip others to grow strong in Jesus Christ and to give insight into God’s Word from an African perspective. Each of the over 2200 features were planned by Africans who teach and lead God’s people.
- Application Notes inspire readers to reflect on issues and apply truth to everyday life.
- Proverbs and Stories enlighten readers through the parallels of Scripture and cultural wisdom found in wise sayings and fables.
- Learn Notes teach the foundations, values, and doctrine of the Christian faith.
- Touch Points show where the culture of the Bible meets African cultures and how Africans shaped Christian belief.
- Book Introductions explain the history of each book and connect themes to issues close to African hearts.
- Articles give practical advice on how to live out the Christian life focusing on critical concerns facing the African Church and its people.
- Topical Index and Concordance lists the biblical texts and ASB features by topic and defines difficult to understand words connecting concepts from Genesis to Revelation.
- One-year Bible Reading Plan guides readers through an overview of the whole story of the Bible.
- Maps, Graphical Timelines, and Other Features spread throughout the Bible help provide insight and understanding.
As you probably noticed, all our rewards include Africa Study Bible inspired artwork by Tim Botts. Tim has been working hard to complete these artwork pieces and gave us a sneak peak at two of his sketches we couldn't wait to share with you! Check out more of his work at www.timbotts.com
Curious about the limited edition, premium luxury, edge-lined goatskin leather Africa Study Bible at our $500 level? We are working with Royal Jongbloed to make this beautiful edition. They have been known to make "probably the finest Bibles on earth." See for yourself! http://grafischbedrijf.royaljongbloed.com/hard-soft-cover/
WHO IS OASIS?Working over 20 years for Africa, Oasis International is a ministry devoted to fostering a robust and sustainable pan-African publishing industry.
- We engage Africa’s most influential, most relevant, and best communicators for the sake of the Gospel.
- We cultivate local and global partnerships in order to publish and distribute high-quality books and Bibles.
- We contextualize content that meets the specific needs of Africa, has the power to transform individuals and societies, and gives the African Church a global voice.
Oasis is: Satisfying Africa’s Thirst for God’s Word. The Africa Study Bible is the epitome of this goal and mission. We pray it will enable us to continue coming alongside the African church to build deeper discipleship. To learn more about us, check out our bio!
“The Africa Study Bible is a project that has almost unprecedented ability to positively influence the body of Christ in Africa, perhaps more than any other single contental-wide project in the history of Christianity.” —Dr. Danny McCain, Founder of Global Scholars and New Testament PhD program at University of Jos
"The Africa Study Bible is original, rich, profound and inspiring. Thanks to its notes, touch points and to the illuminating insights drawn from African context and experience, it will encourage Africans in particular, as well as others, to read the Word with a new freshness, to better understand and to put the Scriptures into practice in order to better obey God. This Bible fills an enormous void.” —Dr. Daniel Bourdanné, General Secretary of The International Fellowship of Evangelical Students
“With the Africa Study Bible, the history of the Church in Africa is at a marvelous turning point. This rich and practical tool builds a solid bridge between the Bible’s teaching and African realities. It is with enthusiasm that I recommend it to every African Christian.” —Dr. Moussa Bongoyok, President of the Francophone University of International Development
“Like Philip explaining the Scriptures to the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:31), so will the Africa Study Bible be to thousands and thousands of African Christians today. With the Africa Study Bible, the Scriptures come to Life.” —Dr. Issiaka Coulibaly, Dean of the West Africa Alliance Theological Seminary (Faculté de Théologie Evangélique de l’Alliance Chrétienne)
“The Africa Study Bible: What a privilege and honor to be a part of this treasure for the Church in Africa that contains over 2000 articles that deal with African issues in the light of God’s Word. May His Spirit teach and edify all those who use it.” —Joanna Ilboudo, Executive Director ACTS
“We work with 200,000 (approx.) university students across the continent of Africa. They are Africa’s future, and I believe the Africa Study Bible is Africa’s future Bible. The Africa Study Bible helps us look at the scriptures through African eyes in a way that connects how we think with how we should act- living the word. I highly anticipate the completion of the ASB which is certain to be a hugely influential and impactful tool for the Church in Africa and globally.” —Gideon Para-Mallam, Regional Secretary for English and Portuguese Speaking Africa at International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES)
“The Africa Study Bible is unique because it contains study notes written by Africans for Africans. For the first time, the African church will have a Bible with application notes that address the real-life issues that Africans deal with every day. Combine those features with an easy-to-understand Bible translation that speaks directly to the heart... and you have the potential to transform the lives of multitudes of leaders, lay people, and seekers. I’m delighted that the Africa Study Bible will soon be available to my African brothers and sisters.” —Mark D. Taylor, Chairman/CEO of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.
Risks and challenges
Our staff is dedicated to the completion and launch of the Africa Study Bible and will not stop devoting ourselves to reach our goal. We praise God for all he is doing and the ways he has enabled us to overcome the obstacles up to this point and trust in him as the provider of all things.
However, there are still a few minor risks:
Completion on Time: We have total confidence in the completion of this project. The only real risk is the timeline of its completion. In order to launch this fall, our goal is to get the ASB to the printer by the end of this summer. All the editorial, typesetting, and design must be completed for the over 2200 study notes from contributors all over Africa to meet the goal. Our editorial team of over 30 people are working daily towards completion.
Printing and Manufacturing: Our Bible printing team has had countless meetings and intentionally sought out the best printer for this project. In order to best serve Africa with the most affordable option, we will be printing in India or China. There are uncontrollable elements when printing in a foreign nation such as quality, miscommunication, and unexpected delays.
Launch Details: We are planning to launch the English edition ASB in Africa this November. There are so many details going into these launches: launch committees being set up, locations being reserved, events being set, delivery of ASB in time - just to name a few. The launch details not coming together in our projected timeline presents a natural risk. This does not imply the ASB will not be completed and launched, it simply means the launch could be pushed back.
We are confidently taking steps to prevent these risks. However, if any of these become a reality, we commit to openly communicating with you as our first course of action. Please send us any additional questions, we’d love to hear your thoughts!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)