Last year, we completed the documentary American Circumcision, the definitive film about the modern circumcision debate.
The film has played at festivals, won awards, and found a distributor.
Now, we need your help to create an impactful film release.
What We Plan To Do
Releasing a film can be as much work as making one. We want this film to have a lasting cultural impact, and reach people unaware of this issue. To do that, we need to treat the release as a big event.
Our goal is to:
- Screen the film in major cities - Our tour starts at a major circumcision protest in Washington DC (GIAW), and ends at a medical conference for doctors who do circumcisions in Austin, TX (ACOG). Los Angeles, NYC, Chicago and San Francisco are all on our tour list. (Tour details will be posted here.)
- Do a national week of college screenings - We currently have coordinators on several college campuses setting up screening with local campus groups. If this model works, we could repeat it in the fall on an even larger scale.
- Hire a publicist - We have someone who is going to help us get press coverage, reviews of the film, and interviews. This will significantly increase our chances of getting mainstream attention.
- Film the tour - We have someone who is going to travel with us and film the Q&A's and tour events. If we do this right, we'll have tons of clips and social media content showing people publicly talking about this issue that we can use for even more attention.
Stretch goal: If we raise $30,000, we will add five cities to our tour list.
What The Money Is For
Every city we screen in, we have to:
- Book a theater or venue. (Most theaters charge around $1000 for a screening. Non-traditional venues may be cheaper, but this adds up.)
- Pay for travel expenses. (Plane tickets or car rental, plus food.)
- Pay our camera person and publicist. (Two people working full time for over a month.)
- Pay for any promotion we want to do.
When it comes to promotion - the more we raise, the more we can do.
This release will be as big as you want it to be.
Because we want to give as much as we ask for, there are lots of great rewards. If you want this film, now is your chance.
- If there is a reward you want that we haven't listed, let us know here.
- If you wish to contribute cryptocurrency, you can find addresses for that here.
- If you're like to contribute an amount greater than $5,000, please contact us directly here.
For more from our film, subscribe here.
Risks and challenges
We have all the regular risks of touring. Our car could break down, our flights could be canceled, a venue could bail on us at the last minute, we could have to drop a screening location, we could get sick while traveling, etc.
We also have all the regular risks of a film release. People could hate on the film, ignore it, misunderstand it, etc. However, the more resources we have to work with, the better prepared we'll be to handle these challenges.
That said, the film is done, so we are getting it to the world one way or another.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)