Waggle Dance is a strategic boardgame for 2-4 players (age 10+), set in a beehive where players control worker bees to build their hive, produce more bees, collect nectar, return it to the hive and make honey!
What is a Waggle Dance?
a series of patterned movements performed by a scouting bee, communicating to other bees of the colony the direction and distance of a food source or hive site.
Four years ago Mike Nudd, (Waggle Dance's designer) wanted to make a worker placement game where choice was a key game mechanic, where players always feel they are in control of their own strategy and where simply 'getting more workers', wasn't always the optimum strategy. With game mechanics in place, Mike thought long and hard about the best way to provide a context and theme for his fledgling game.
Enter the Bees!! One day Mike stopped to help a distressed bumblebee in the street. As he fed the creature a mixture of water and sugar, something clicked and Mike realised that bees were the perfect theme for his emerging game. Waggle Dance was born (you can read more at: http://www.grublin.com/MikeNudd)
In Waggle Dance you are in charge of your very own beehive. You will marshal your resources deciding what to concentrate on: building a bigger hive, creating more bees, or creating honey by collecting nectar. There is no clear optimum strategy and there are always things to do - your moves will always be informed what your opponents are doing.
"An excellent, excellent gateway game...It's just really rock solid...We just really enjoy playing it!" - Rahdo
"[Waggle Dance] left us with such an interesting and compelling feeling to come back and play...I want to take this to some people outside of my regular group so they can feel this too." - Michael Forder - NVS Gameplays
"Waggle Dance is a joy to play and feels great while playing it. It’s great holding a fistful of dice and even better watching them scatter with abandon across the playing area. There is plenty of depth to keep experienced gamers happy, but equally the simplicity is great for new players too." Club Fantasci - 8 out of 10
"The art style speaks of a game which is intricate and awesome, but doesn't take itself terribly serioulsy...Waggle Dance despite it's weird name and oddball theme is just an amazing game" David McMillan - via Boardgamegeek
"Waggle Dance is een workerplacement met heel eenvoudige regels en is daarom een ideaal instapspel. Daarnaast heeft het spel ook genoeg diepgang zodat ook de geoefende speler er plezier aan beleeft" - E&E Spellenmolen
"Waggle Dance is fun to play, easy to teach and easy to learn..it's one to back so get on it!" Breacher18
"I would definitely reccomend [Waggle Dance] and I'll certainly play it again" Efka - 'The No Pun Show' Waggle Dance Focus
"Can you get a more thematic game than bees, honeycombs and hexagonal pieces? Fab!" Gino Brancazio - Game redesign finalist, UK Games Expo
"Seriously good fun" Vince, @xykophowing on twitter Player at UK Games Expo
"The game was very fun, having both players control a swarm of bees and trying to build the best colony. The game had a surprising amount of depth to it, and combines worker placement and engine building in a very mechanical, structured game. We played a four point introductory game, and I managed to win 4-3" Allen O'Connor, player at UK Game Expo
"I think the cover art is fantastic. Without knowing any more about the game, it gives a sense of whimsy while also asserting "there is serious work to be done here, but we're gonna have fun doing it!" Roland Sanchez, BoardGameGeek member
"Great fun game, easy to pick up but complex enough to give it depth, make it a challenge and make you want to play it over again. Looking forward to picking up a copy." Stuart Skilton, Waggle Dance playtester
Follow this link to read what other people think of Waggle Dance: http://www.grublin.com/waggledance/reviews
We want Waggle Dance to be not only easy to play, but more importantly we have designed it to be quick to pick up.
• Waggle Dance is being exhaustively playtested to ensure the mechanics are as straightforward and solid as possible - making it an ideal gateway to the world of euro-gamers while also satisfying experienced and accomplished gamer players.
• Grublin Games have worked hard to remove all in-game text (see card illustrations below) and produce a single double-sided sheet which has been expressly designed to be both attractive and easy to follow - all of which is being playtested for clarity.
• We have involved many people in testing and editing the rules text to make sure the rules are explained in the most efficient ways - this process is also open to backers to contribute their suggestions until the end of the Kickstarter campaign. By backing Waggle Dance you can help shape the direction of this game!
Waggle Dance creator Mike Nudd is an experienced game designer, with fifteen years of design experience and a successfully published boardgame behind him. (Vampire: Prince of the City)
Mike has worked perfecting the mechanics and gameplay of Waggle Dance. Making a game that actively seeks choice and doesn’t punish players for choice of strategy. Waggle Dance has been extensively playtested, including sessions at Game Force, UK Playtest and numerous sessions with gamers and non gamers, before Grublin Games even got involved. The final phase of playtesting will be taking place during the Kickstarter Campaign. We can’t wait to hear what you think.
Building on Mike’s hard work, the Grublin Games team has been developing the illustration, components, graphic design, product design as well as all the other bits and pieces needed to successfully publish this game. We've also worked hard to use the lessons learnt from our previous Kickstarter Campaign (Cornish Smuggler) and fine tune the production and distribution logistics to ensure that you get this game bang on time and at the most competitive price possible.
We want Waggle Dance to be the best game possible, but we need your help!
Over the last year, we've learned a lot about how to improve players' experience of games and have been putting all of that into Waggle Dance - informing our testing for this game, collecting feedback from an even wider range of gamers (including a huge number of people who never normally play games), gathering players from as wide a range of events as possible (including UK Games Expo, Salute, Game Force and numerous UK Playtest groups) constantly improving and developing the way Waggle Dance looks and feels.
For now, you can see more about the process behind Waggle Dance in this interview which Mike and I recently had with GMS magazine:
Feedback from the Kickstarter Community was a vital part of that campaign and we hope you’ll be able to help us put the final touches to Waggle Dance. We can’t wait to share the process of publishing a game with you, after all gaming is all about people!
We are confident that you will really enjoy Waggle Dance and we're looking forward to sharing this final (and most vital) part of the process with you!!!
• 1 x Box - gorgeous, engaging artwork (look at the detail!) 25 x 17 x 7.5cm (~10 x 7 x 2.5 inches)...about the same size as 'Race to the Galaxy'
• 72 Bee Dice - 18 per player to temp you into growing your hive too big and enough to make rolling them all feel like you actually have a swarm of bees in your hands! BBBBZZZZZZ!!!!!
• 90 Nectar Cubes - in six different colours that really POP when you collect them for the hive
• 48 Hive Hexes - to allow for the most fantastical of freeform hive creations
• A full set of Action, Flower and Queen Bee Cards - all illustrated by the incredible Mateusz Szulik (the same artist as our cover image) and full of intuitive attractive illustrations describing exactly what each card does.
• 1 x Rulesheet (English, French, German & ...) - each copy of Waggle Dance comes with the printed English, French and German rules...as well as one more. Join the discussion on boardgamegeek to help decide which other language we need!
• 1 x Credits Celebration Poster - WE CAN NOT MAKE THIS GAME WITHOUT YOU guys so we want to say Thank You! We are creating a very special illustration for Waggle Dance celebrating everyone who has been involved in making it a reality. Everyone who has backed as an Illustrated Waggler will be part of our spectacular Bee Carnival, as will all cafes that have sponsored us. Everyone who has pledged for a copy of Waggle Dance will be thanked and all the retailers who have backed us will be listed in print as official stockists for this superb game.
Waggle Dance is a worker placement dice game where your bees take the form of dice... lots and lots of beautiful dice. There are two phases to the game, a Day and a Night phase. During the Day, each player rolls their bee dice and takes turns assigning their bees to different actions within the hive. Each action enables the players to improve and grow the hive, taking them a step closer to their ultimate goal
- HONEY!!!! Once the Day phase is complete, the night phase triggers and each of the actions are resolved and the hive grows.
It’s up to you how to achieve this... Do you focus on nectar collection, increasing your bee population, expanding your hive, seeking favour with the queen or splitting your resources to accomplish all of these?
Whatever you choose, the natural world is a competitive environment and you can be sure the other players will be looking to maximise their advantage so choose wisely and be efficient!
Check out Mike's How To Play video for an overview of the games' rules and structure.
Super-talented illustrator Mateusz Szulik has been commissioned to produce detailed, intricate and beautiful illustrations for both the game box and game cards.
Waggle Dance is all about seeking choice and people learn to play different ways. So instead of relying on a big rulebook we have made the game as visual as possible. All the actions in Waggle Dance are fully illustrated and show you how the game works.
Giving you more time to play and to concentrate on winning!!!
As you can see, the illustrations for the game artwork are still in progress and we've keen to hear what you think about what we're doing with the card art. We have already incorporated lots of feedback from backers and playtesters, all of which is helping to ensure that when Waggle Dance finally goes to print, it will be the best it can be. Add your voice to the comments to help shape the final game!
To see a full list of the card art in Waggle Dance, follow this link for a Print & Play version: http://www.grublin.com/waggledance/pnp (current languages are English/Spanish/Dutch and Japanese, with more being added as they become available;)
People from all over the world want to play our games and we want to Waggle Dance accessible for global gamers. Waggle Dance has been designed to be language-independent and super visual (i.e. nothing but images in the game).
We do still need some text for Waggle Dance, but because we've transformed as much of it as possible into the game illustration our rulebook is short. This has been designed to be as easy to follow as possible, taking you through the basics of how to play in a way that flows whilst encompassing quick to find and clear references to all the in-game images
What this also means is that Waggle Dance is easier to translate so in each copy of the game we're going to be including French and German rules also. We still have room for one more language but we want you to help us choose which one. Join the discussion on BoardGameGeek to let us know what you think.
We want Waggle Dance to be as accessible as possible. We’ve been working on all aspects of product design, including: size, usability, materials and cost. We’ve kept our core pledge levels competitive and the game itself as portable as possible - saving you money and (most importantly) valuable shelf-space for your games collection!! There is a lot of game packed into that small box.
The cost of shipping is included in each pledge level, so you can clearly see exactly where we're coming from. We've included a number of different pledge levels so you can choose exactly how you want to support making Waggle Dance a reality.
MSRP for Waggle Dance will be £24.95 (+ shipping) so not only will you be supporting independent game publishing, but you'll also be getting a decent discount (28% - almost a third off;)
We're really committed to offering the best value to our backers as possible so we've re-mathsed the entire project and have decided to focus on the following stretch goals.
Other ways to support Waggle Dance
We've worked very, very hard to offer you the most competitive pricing possible for Waggle Dance and although I really hope you like this game enough to pledge for a copy, I do recognise that this isn't necessarily possible for everyone. So here are some other ways you can support making Waggle Dance a reality.
As an indie publishing company we don't have a large marketing budget or a huge departments of people so one thing you can do is to help us out by spreading the word on Waggle Dance. Below are some pictures that you can use for your avatars so everytime you post, share or tweet you'll be giving this project a massive boost.
Please feel free to use any of these images & Thank you!
(I think those are the main ones - let me know if you need different dimensions!)
Risks and challenges
Publishing a board game is a large and complex process that involves many people, all of which need to work perfectly in order to produce a stunning game. This is not an easy thing to do and it's not just indie publishers that can allow mistakes to creep in.
However, I am proud to say that we are very prepared for this and have gained strong experience in running a successful Kickstarter project, working with manufacturers, artists, shipping companies and worldide distribution - the whole lot.
Although even the most prepared of plans encounter unexpected problems, we have done our homework and have a number of strategies in place to mitigate anything unexpected that might get thrown our way.
1) We've done a lot of work on the pre-production for Waggle Dance, including the artwork, graphic design, playtesting as well as exhaustively sourcing quotes from manufacturers and shipping companies. We are experienced with manufacturer timelines, file requirements, communication methods and national holiday. We are pretty much ready to go - all we'll need on successful funding of the project will be the details from the backer specific pledges and completion of stretch goals.
2) We have built in more time than needed before we pass pre-production approval from our manufacturer. This is in case a production issue crops up that could significantly delay the delivery of Waggle Dance. Furthermore, we have an additional contingency in place for any delays that could arise during shipping (e.g. delays at customs)
3) A solid distribution plan is already in place. Using our experience from Cornish Smuggler, we know what to expect and have used this to further improve on what we can do. Our focus will continue to be on speedy dispatch, excellent customer service and most importantly communication. However, things can occasionally go wrong (e.g. missing components, damaged parcels etc.) and you can be assured that there will always be someone at our end who will be quickly contactable and will personally help resolve any issues.
Most importantly, I believe that communication is key. I will be online every day to respond to any questions you have and read all comments. You will receive regular updates on the progress of Waggle Dance, including photos and videos where possible.
None of this is to say that we won't necessarily encounter any issues, they happen to everyone, but we do have experience in this and I am confident that they can be overcome.
If you have a specific question about any aspect of this project, then please get in touch! Thank you for supporting Waggle Dance, for trusting in this project and for helping to create something AMAZING!!!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)