AERO 3D Bird Flight Game with Bill Nye and GameDesk
AERO 3D Bird Flight Game with Bill Nye and GameDesk
WE BELIEVE YOU CAN FLY!! Be a bird! Soar over the sea and land and learn the Aerodynamics of flight!
WE BELIEVE YOU CAN FLY!! Be a bird! Soar over the sea and land and learn the Aerodynamics of flight! Read more
About this project
Bill Nye and GameDesk truly believe that to take education to soaring new heights we need to engage children in playful and imaginative experiences. What a better way to do that then to let them fly like a bird, soar over the land and sea and learn aerodynamics while they do it!
YOU CAN HELP US MAKE LEARNING FUN!
In order to really give this kickstarter a blast of wind we have modified a bunch of our rewards and added a great one too!
-Get an Original AERO poster for $250!
-Receive a copy of the art book for $750 instead of $1,000!
-Let's Get this Party started! Come to the party for $1,000 instead of $1,500!
-We've lowered the price of real estate in the AERO world! Now you can have an island named after you for $1,000!
-Bring Aero to your school! We want you to have the experience of the roadshow in your school and so we've lowered the reward from $5,000 to $3,500!
GameDesk has already developed an early prototype of the game, thanks to a partnership with Iridescent Learning and seed funding from the National Academy of Sciences and the Office of Naval Research.
...and now Bill Nye and GameDesk want to take AERO to the next level by creating a SUPER FUN full open-world, multi-island, exploratory learning game for the iPad, Kinect, and platforms beyond.
GameDesk is a 501(c)3 nonprofit, so your donation to this education project is tax deductible.
FULL FEATURES OF THE COMPLETED GAME
- Soar over the sea, through watery caves and explore beautiful islands!
- CHALLENGES: TEST YOUR FLIGHT SKILLS! Your flying journey will lead you to the edges of land and sea as you dive and soar through awesome target paths!
- AERODYNAMIC FLIGHT LESSONS: Of course it takes a bit of learning to go from a land dwelling human to a winged flying creature! Have FUN earning your feather certificate in lessons teaching lift, drag, thrust, constant and terminal velocity, gravity, banking, turning and more!
WHERE WE STARTED
- WHO DOESN'T WANT TO FLY LIKE A BIRD? That's what we thought so we built a prototype IPad version of AERO. It was just a basic simulation of the concept, however, it still achieved nearly 100,000 downloads, because it is super fun!
- Bill Nye the Science Guy volunteered his time to address several essential concepts in Albatross flight. We then spent 6 months building a full and accurate simulation of bird flight with a visualization of force vectors around the bird. "IT'S REALLY SCIENCE! YOUR A BIRD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!"
- Last year, we launched a simulation of the game in which we placed two Wiimotes inside of flappable wings to create the experience of flying.
- We thought: "Wouldn't it be awesome if you could FEEL what it's like to have wings?" So we made some wings that utilize two nintendo Wii controllers and took AERO on the road! We went to Maker Faire, the USA Engineering Festival, and various schools throughout the year. The overwhelmingly positive response from students, parents, and teachers made it clear to us that we had to get AERO to everyone!
Here's a video of the AERO Roadshow!
- SOMETIMES SCIENCE IS ABOUT SEEING THE INVISIBLE!
- We created a air molecule viewer so players can understand the relationship of air particles around the wing and how this relationship informs the bird's direction.
- We designed the full game world and many challenges.
- Now we are ready to build more challenges more features, and more fun! but Bill Nye and GameDesk need your help! We need final finishing funds to create the full-world game for the iPad.
WHERE WE NEED TO BE
WE WANT TO OFFER A FULL EXPLORATORY WORLD OF FLYING AND AERODYNAMIC LEARNING EXPERIENCES FOR THE IPAD.
In Depth - Physics of Flight Lessons: AERO will have five special educational lesson levels that teach aerodynamic principles in detail. Lessons will teach lift, drag, thrust, constant and terminal velocity, gravity, banking, turning, and more.
Destination and Landing challenges: Island destination courses, completing safe landings.
RollerCoaster Ring challenges: Rollercoaster rings and obstacle courses, racing against the computer, treasure hunts collecting a number of objects around the game environment, timed races around different trials, and learning to fly from different perspectives.
Fly into cumulus clouds: Cumulus clouds are from a upward convection of air. Fly into them to reach hidden collectable stars.
Bank, Turning and Lift challenges: Bank side to side around ocean buoys to complete an obstacle course.
Fish Diving: Search and dive for fish!
A desalination Albatross can drink from the ocean! Drink ocean water to survive and watch as you shot the salt out of your nose.
Bird Watcher Mode: Fly the bird from the perceptive of the Bird Watcher, like flying a remote controlled airplane.
Vector Challenge: Players are tasked with correctly naming and using the right forces to fly in the right direction.
Constant Velocity: Players have to achieve a constant velocity for a certain amount of time. Can the player find all three methods to do so?
Vertical Equilibrium: Players must equalize the lift and gravity vectors to achieve vertical equilibrium. This reinforces earlier learning points.
Gravity Challenge: Players are challenged to rotate the gravity force vector around the bird in various directions, reinforcing gravities pull towards the center of the earth.
CHECK OUT OUR REACH-GOALS!
$100,000: We meet our KickStarter goal and are able to ship the full game out on the iPad in 2013!
$345,000: We can add new rocky islands with additional 10+ learning challenges, plus multiple birds to play in the game. This new version of the game will offer multiple types of birds that showcase different wing spans and different ways of flying.
$500,000: Fly with your whole body and the X-Box Kinect! We'll develop for the Kinect to create a full body flying experience, so that you can actually rotate and flap your arms to fly through the world!
$1,000,000 National Outreach to Schools Across the Nation: We'll get AERO into 500 schools across the nation with iPad minis loaded with AERO for students to play with for free! We will focus on schools that are underfunded and need to engage their communities in science.
Remember, GameDesk is a 501(c)3 nonprofit, so your donation to this project is tax deductible!
GameDesk is an L.A.-based nonprofit research, game development, and outreach organization led by Lucien Vattel, whose passion is to transform education and learning through fun. GameDesk has a game studio, and it's own PlayMaker school to quickly prototype the effectiveness of it's games and curriculum. AERO is the featured project within many large scale projects you'll be seeing from GameDesk soon.
Risks and challenges
As a nonprofit, GameDesk is always looking for more funding in order to increase our development of educational games and research into education reform. While our development team has a proven record of creating fun and interactive games, we need help from backers in order to take the next steps and release a game to the public. We want everyone to be able to play AERO! Your donation will help us use the funds we have to continue to innovate while improving AERO for everyone.
Once funded, our team will have several challenges to solve during the development process as we bring AERO from a prototype to a fully featured game with multiple, interactive scenarios that teach users aerodynamic concepts. If we reach our stretch goals, those challenges will be exponential as we develop for different platforms.
Though our team is very talented, they are also deeply involved in other projects at the GameDesk PlayMaker school, and busy creating several other titles that we hope will spark more children to learn with the technology tools of today. Our hope is to be able to stay on target as much as possible during an already packed school year in order to release AERO to the public in the spring of 2013.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)