UPDATE: We can hardly believe it, we made it to $100,000 for the Super Duper Bonus Level! A million thanks to everyone that made this possible! We're live streaming to celebrate right now on http://twitch.tv/doctor_cat so come join us! And every backer from $5 up gets a Chinchilla avatar!
We'll be announcing our PayPal-compatible extension to this fundraising campaign soon. It'll have the same rewards, and any money raised will be added to our total here to cover more stretch goals!
If you pledged (or are pledging now), make sure to read Update #1 for info on how to get us your character names. We'll be starting to turn on some of the rewards over the next week, please bear with us!
Here is our second video, full of testimonials from the community:
Time to start shooting for one last stretch goals!
As an added incentive, we're adding to our rewards each time we hit a higher funding target! Remember, the best bonuses are at ArchangelCat level and above. You can upgrade any time with the blue Manage My Pledge button.
One bonus left for all our existing pledges & new ones to earn, if we reach:
- $110,000 - OMG, celebrate our Kickstarter's success and all the great features coming up with a bunch of fireworks you can shoot off in game and entertain your friends with!
More than just a game, Furcadia lets you create your own world. With one of the most imaginative communities on the Internet, our longevity has even gotten us into the Guinness Book of World Records!
The Second Dreaming will create a web-based client, updated web pages, and an enhanced look.
This should help us grow bigger than ever! More players means more support for future development, and a bigger audience for our community’s wonderful creations! If you haven’t experienced those for yourself, we welcome you to try it right now. It's totally free, and there's a never-ending variety of things to see and enjoy!
As one of our backers at PlayTester level or above, you can get involved in the whole game development process, and try every test build! Connect to our beta world to play with us and your fellow backers. Use an exclusive forum to share your ideas & feedback. It’s your inside peek "behind the curtain” at how games are made, by a team with over a century of collective industry experience!
Other games call the areas you explore "maps" or "levels". We call them Dreams, because most of them are dreamed up by you, our players! Apart from a few main areas our staff created, the game consists of Dreams our players have made with our Dream Editor. These range from fantasy RPGs to alien space stations, cozy winter towns, even amusement parks, brought to life by our simple, English-like DragonSpeak scripting language. The only limit is your imagination! You can use our built in art and sounds, add your own, or draw on over a decade of those other players have made available!
- A web-based version of the game, running on Facebook, furcadia.com, and other sites. No downloads or installs required!
- Faster and more reliable Dream downloads for Windows.
- Full 32-bit color support in the web client, with translucency.
- Improved layout with bigger map display & bigger art, plus an improved user interface, while still supporting all existing Dreams & content.
- Updated look & features for our website, and a new version of Digo Market.
- Web-based character creation, plus new account system.
- Web version of our “Pounce” friends list.
- We will implement one brand new game feature YOU get to choose! All our backers get a vote from our feature list, and whatever wins, we'll make it!
- We'll add a new avatar chosen by the community as well! Backers vote on their favorites from our avatar list, and one of our staff artists will bring it to life!
We hope you’re all as excited to get these additions and upgrades as we are excited to make them! But of course, we don’t want to stop there. If you’re willing to support us enough to reach our Stretch Goals, we can do a lot more!
- We add a totally new version of the Furrabian Nights Dream, with elaborate & exotic new artwork, and a brand new 32-bit lighting layer! This new lighting system will be added into both the Windows client and the new Web client!
- We add an “attachment” system for both Windows and Web clients, so you can mix & match avatar pieces like tails, wings, hats, masks, and more. This will let you wear your wings on your Noble & Ferian avatars!
- Customizable “My Furcadia” personal page.
- Additional web page for each of your characters.
- Customizable page for your Group or Guild.
- Basic version of the F.L.U.F.F friend finder.
- Howl social network - share your portraits, adventures, funny experiences, etc.
- Post your howls to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, and more.
- Group Packages get their own chat channels, public or private, and custom desctags you create for your group members.
- Web client gets live Dream editing!
- Downloadable Skin editor gets ability to customize the web client’s look and layout.
- Ability to edit your character directly in the web client.
- We will add one of our most requested features from the last 15 years - more color choices for your avatar!
- New theme-park version of the Challenges Dream -- with mini-games, puzzles and rides!
- We’ll make a web page that shows all the latest opt-in portrait uploads, so you can browse some of the cool new art people are uploading every day.
- We will also make a web page for the latest user-submitted Furcadia screenshots. This will be a great place to spot new Dreams & new patches!
- You now get TWO more features from the votable features list!
- We update our iPhone/iPad client to support the latest new features, and get it on the App store. We will release it as a FREE app!
- At this level we add the Mana System we’ve wanted to put in for years. It’s an “attention economy”, which will let players earn mana to do fun things with. This can be obtained in a wide variety of ways, to give everyone a chance to get some to enjoy! Help us put a little more magic into the game.
- Also we’ll add a way for artists to submit attachments for us to sell in the market. That means way more options for you to dress up your characters, and artists gain another way to earn some Golden DragonScales!
- We’ll add one more Votable feature too!
- We provide a fully compatible Macintosh native client for Furcadia! No more need to use emulators like WINE or mess with virtual machines or boot camp. This will even have Mac style menus etc. rather than a Windows type interface.
- At this level, we’ll develop native Macintosh dream, patch, script, and character editors.
- Also we’ll add a fifth Votable feature from our base list! Your pick!
Getting this level of funding would be like a dream come true for us. So if we do, we want to make you all as happy as we’ll be!
- At this level, Dr. Cat will stop taking jobs for other game companies for at least one full year, and work his stripey tail off on Furcadia the whole time! This will help get all the following goals done at this level.
- We will release a full 32 bit art client for Windows, with translucency. 32 bit art/animation editing tools.
- New layout & user interfact for Windows, and new Pounce.
- Redo ALL of the default patch art in full 32 bit.
- Dream owners will be able to set zoom level for their dream!
- Hangouts list to find popular dreams to visit and explore.
- Full featured version of F.L.U.F.F friend and RP finder.
- New Imaginarium dream!
- New Acropolis dream!
If we get past there, next level gets us more Creators Tools. Watch this space!
Here's all the goodies we'll give you for signing up at different backer levels, to thank you for your support! Backers also get their name enshrined forever on our AngelCats page, because we think you're all angels for supporting our work.
There's also more detailed info on each individual item on our Rewards Page.
Our project newsletter is emailed to you every week, packed full of info! The Angelcat Desctag appears on your character in Furcadia, to show everyone you helped out. You get 5 extra cookies each day, and downloadable AngelCat art by Majas!
You get to vote on which avatar we’ll add to Furcadia next! Choose from: Mythical Ferian Gryphon, Llama Ferian, Giraffe Ferian, Noble Wyrmme, Mythical Ferian Phoenix, Mythical Kitsune or TacoCat Freebie!
Vote on our next game feature from: Gold Sponsorship, Adult Verification, Horizon Strip, Alt Trading System, Secure Trade on the web, Automated Escrow, Male/Female avatars for default species, Human default avatar.
You get our AngelCat avatar in the game for one year! This avatar is available exclusively for our Kickstarter supporters, and can’t be obtained any other way!
New to Furcadia? Get started in style! Customize your portrait, wear wings for a year, have some gifts to share, snacks, our game money DragonScales, starting tips, even a brand new digital coloring book of our Primes, the deities of Furcadia!
Join us every step of the way with access to all test builds, Beta forums, and Second Dreaming test world! Play with staff and your fellow backers, and give us feedback and suggestions. Also comes with new digital art print by co-creator Talzhemir!
This one's a great sneak peek at how professional game development is done, by a team with over a century of collective experience. All our packages above $30 also give you the Silver and Gold Keys for access to Beta Forums and Second Dreaming server.
Got something to tell the world? Here's one System Broadcast in Furcadia of anything you want to say! Announce your guild, a big party, your wedding, or just an elephant joke. Thousands of Furcadians will get your message!
Want to make your own special mark on the game? Give us artwork for a desctag to appear on your character for life, and we’ll make it a permanent part of Furcadia! Express yourself, and have something unique nobody else has!
Do you feel like one year isn’t enough to have the lovely AngelCat avatar? This variation of our AngelCat rewards package gives you the AngelCat for the rest of your life! Maybe longer if you want to leave it to your Grandkids. This avatar never expires!
Meet our game’s creators in person! You get an evening of Felorin and Emerald Flame visiting your Dream, to hang out with you and anyone you invite. We’ll talk about anything you like, it’s your night!
We added size-changing for April Fool's. Now a lucky few can gain the magical power to change size at will! Be tiny, be huge, be the envy of all your friends. Don't dawdle, these may go quickly!
Would you like to show your special bond with a close friend or loved one? Emerald Flame has agreed to do just five of her special Heartbonding Ceremonies, which have become a Furcadia tradition.
We’ve never offered our subscription-based Silver Sponsorship in Furcadia on a permanent, lifetime basis. Until now! We'll also mail you a limited edition copy of Talzhemir's Second Dreaming art print! Click here for info on what Silver Sponsorship comes with.
Got Skype? Want to video chat with a guy who’s been making games professionally for 30 years? Dr. Cat will write a limerick about you, fold you a dragon in the color of your choice and mail it to you afterwards, and chat about anything you like. You can even ask him to wear the big purple wizard hat!
Design something that’ll be part of Furcadia forever! Describe an eatable or throwable item, its effects, messages, and sound effects and we’ll program it to your specifications. You’ll get a warm glow every time you see someone using your creation.
It’s Party time! Party Animals get a big party in your Dream on a date of your choosing. We will have as many of our Dragon’s Eye staff attend as are able to make it that night, and give you lots of announcements to the public to get you a big turn-out!
If you've fallen in love with that special person you want to spend the rest of your life with, Emerald Flame will perform a Pawfasting Ceremony for you. Make memories that will last a lifetime.
Here’s the perfect showcase for your creations. Now you can finally get our subscription based Dream Package for life! People have been asking us for this for years, and now we’re making it available as an option exclusively for our Kickstarter backers! Click here for info on what Dream Packages include.
We put together this rewards package with all our most sought after eternal features. We even included our "Furcadia for Life" desctag, available only at this reward level!
Now you can put yourself into our game forever! Or a character of your design. This level lets you submit to us an animated avatar that you and you alone will be able to play as a character in Furcadia! Way cool!
This lets you add a custom avatar to Furcadia, but also lets you share with up to ten friends who can also play as that same avatar. Create a new race, or mythological creature, a robot or an alien, or anything you choose!
You get an avatar drawn by one of our staff artists, to your specifications! You can have it just for you, to share with ten friends, or make it a new free character that everyone in Furcadia can play all they want, to really make your mark. It’s your choice!
For our most generous supporters, we’d love to meet you in person! Join us for an evening with our San Francisco team - Gar, Emerald Flame, and Dr. Cat! You can pick the restaurant and game, or we’ll be happy to recommend some -- hope you like garlic!
Perhaps the most sought after goal in Furcadia, never before available... We will make YOUR Dream a permanent part of Furcadia! Complete with a permanent portal in a main map. Show off and share your creation with the world forever!
Work with our staff to create a new Main Map, complete with access button on the teleports tab. You collaborate with us on building something thousands of people will enjoy on a daily basis!
Dragon’s Eye Productions was founded in 1991 by game industry veterans Dr. Cat and Talzhemir. Between them they’ve worked with most of the major game companies of the 80s and 90s, on titles like Ultima, Monster Bash, Underworld, This Means War, Runes of Virtue, DragonSpires, Windwalker, Ravenwood Fair, Savage Empire, and many more. Dr. Cat did all the client and server programming to launch Furcadia in 1996, Talzhemir did all the art, and they worked together on game design and web pages.
Executive Producer Emerald Kaiten Catz, and Chief Technology Officer Aleksi “Fox” Asikainen joined the company as partners after discovering Furcadia, taking the lead on further development from 2000 onwards. All our other staff members come from our creative community as well, including Event Manager Becca “Rei-Jin” Gagnon, Lead Programmer Dewi “Farrier” Morgan, and Community Manager Michael “Cironir” Vondung, our branch of the team in Germany.
Our other staff members come from our creative community as well.Dragon’s Eye remains committed to this day to enhancing the lives and encouraging the development of creative skills of our player community. We do this through a commitment to quality, and to producing the best tools and environments for our players to express themselves, and to share what they create with each other.
Catnip Studios was founded by Dragon’s Eye partner Emerald, to give our newest talented group of developers a chance to get in on the ground floor of a new game company. Under her guidance, Catnip is working on The Second Dreaming Project for Furcadia. Catnip also has some exciting game projects planned for the future, so watch for those!
Team Dragon Staff additionally includes:
- Game Designer and Art Director Benjamin “Gar” Jans, who started playing Furcadia in its first week! Ben works full time on the Dragon’s Eye team, and has also designed hit games at LolApps and Tinyco.
- System Administrator and Associate Producer Kimone “Kashi Commodore” Osbourne is a long time Techie and Mechanical and Electrical Engineer. Always the life of the team, Kashi is willing to take a pie to the face for us.
- Cient/Server Programmer Kriss “Nijumi” Sakurai is studying to follow his passions for medicine and flying. In his spare time, he makes computers do anything imaginable, and doesn’t realize how good at it he is.
- Artist Mallory “Majas” Schier has a hand in most of what you see here, and learned video editing skills just for this Kickstarter - her mighty powers can only be defeated by grapefruit juice!
- Artist/Programmer M. “Heimdall” Sparling-Sedlak is finishing a BS in computer science from the University of Maryland. Heimdall works in digital art and leathercraft, and occasionally dresses up as a viking.
- Web Programmer Richard “Yasabu” Decimus is not only a top notch web programmer but has the cutest Pookie portrait in Furcadia!
- Web Developer and Programmer Slava “Artex” Sheremet contracts with us from Israel, is getting his degree in Software Engineering and speaks three languages.
- Web Developer Alistair “Crunch” Ward keeps our pages not only looking good, but functioning smoothly.
We also have a huge group of Artists, Techies, Scribes and Customer Support people from Furcadia who help as Volunteers and Contractors. The Second Dreaming will truly be a Community Project!
Our players are truly the wellspring of ideas and personalities and friendships that have made Furcadia what it is today. You can hear their stories and our own of "What Furcadia Means to Me" on our Videos page.
Risks and challenges
Sofware development always has a risk of unexpected bugs that cause delays. However, with our extensive experience working on this game over the last 16 years, we’re confident that at worst this could delay us a few months, and wouldn’t keep us from completing the work and delivering the promised features. In addition to our experience with this code, we have backup programmers, artists, designers & managers for every position on the team. So if someone gets sick or has other problems, there’s someone ready to step in and keep the ball rolling!
We were able to build the initial game in 1996 on just $50,000, so we know how to stretch our game development dollars. And now we have a core team already supported by income from the game. This Kickstarter money is going towards bringing in MORE people to help get things done sooner, and better! All of them have already been doing part-time development work on Furcadia, so we don’t have to guess how much they can accomplish. We’re dealing with known and proven talent here.
Also, if we hit some of our stretch goals, we'll hire additional talent from our community, where we have a lot of very capable and creative people to draw on!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)