In 2015 we came up with the idea of building a basic strategy management game that can be played in your browser. The idea was to put together the bare essential elements of the game in an attractive but simple user interface, and let our players imaginations fill in the rest. We launched Survive the Dark Ages singleplayer, and were pleasantly surprised that people really took to the game.
As we saw the number of active players grow, and read all your feeback, we decided that it would be great to add multiplayer features. We took the basic structure of the game, and rebuilt it as a multiplayer web based MMO using a game engine that we built ourselves. Again we have been pleased to see the number of active players in our public BETA steadily grow.
As we reach the end of our BETA, we are now starting to think about how the game will continue to develop. As a result we are running this Kickstarter, as a "pilot" to see how we can propel the game forward.
The key elements of the game are:
- a focus on a clean interface, that is as usable as we can make it;
- constant dialog between developers and players, using feedback forms, and our regular participation in the public chat area;
- continued gradual improvements, rather than make everyone wait years for a 'final' product: we have released the game already, and are instead adding the features you want as soon as they are ready;
- giving players as much opportunity as we can to play the game the way they want to play it.
The Lands of the Vikings Expansion
The Lands of the Vikings expansion will increase the size of the game map to cover the homelands of the Ferocious Vikings. New Kingdoms will be introduced, representing the Warring Kings and Jarls who Sailed across the North Sea to raid Western Europe. We will be adding the ability to own and trade in game "items", fine weapons, armour, jewels and silks. These items will be ornamental at first, but we will add bonuses to them in time.
Every Noble has important decisions to make, and our plan is to incorporate this in a new feature that will present you with a number of decisions to make every day. A tailor visits your settlement, will you purchase a fine coat from him? What should we do with the diseased crops? Should the Kingdom of Norway abolish slavery? Each Decision may have costs and impacts, and will help to further allow players to make their own mark on the game world.
Also the following new features will be added:
- new Territories: Vestfold, Østfold, Nordland, Nord-Trøndelag, Møre og Romsdal, Sør-Trøndelag, Aust-Agder, Hordaland, Rogaland, Sogn og Fjordane, Vest-Agder, Akershus, Buskerud, Hedmark, Oppland, Oslo, Telemark
- new Items: Iron Sword, Coat of Chainmail, Linen Coat, Iluminated Bible
- new Kingdom: Norway (available as a reward)
- new Kingdom Role: Crier - sends messages to nobles on behalf of the Ruler
If we manage to go beyond our initial target, then we have the following stretch goals in place:
£200 ($250) Lands of the Swedes
Increase the game map to cover the lands of the fierce Swedes:
- new Territories: Gävleborg, Jönköping, Kalmar, Dalarna, Kronoberg, Orebro, Östergötland, Södermanland, Västmanland, Halland, Värmland, Jämtland, Norrbotten, Västernorrland, Västerbotten, Gotland, Stockholm, Uppsala, Blekinge, Västra Götaland, Skåne
- new Kingdom: Sweden (will be available as a reward)
- new Kingdom Role: Keeper of the Records - Manages records of the Kingdom (on the site Wiki)
- new Items: Ulfberht sword, Silver Torc
£400 ($500) Lands of the Danes
Increase the game map to cover the lands of the Danes:
- new Territories: Midtjylland, Syddanmark, Nordjylland, Hovedstaden, Sjaælland
- new Kingdom: Denmark (will be available as a reward)
- new Items: Great Axe, Amber Necklace
- new Kingdom Role: Prolocutor - Manages the Kingdom and High Lord Chat, and ensures that players communicate properlly and politely
£600 ($750) Lands of the Saxons
Increase the game map to cover the lands of the Saxon tribes:
- new Territories: Bremen, Niedersachsen, Hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein
- new Kingdom: Saxons (will be available as a reward)
- new Items: Seax, Fine Horse
- new Kingdom Role: Keeper of stores - Manages researves of resources on behalf ot the whole kingdom
£800 ($1000) Lands of the Frisians
Increases the game to cover the lands of the Frisian Peoples in the modern day Netherlands
- new Territories: Noord-Holland, Friesland, Groningen
- new Kingdom: Frisians (will be available as a reward)
- new Items: Painted shield, Silver Crown, Ruby ring, Tapestry
£1200 ($1500) Lands of the Normans
Increases the game to cover the lands of the West Francian peoples that were colanised by the vikings, who became known as "Normans"
- new Territories: Manche, Jersey, Eure, Calvados, Seine-Maritime, Sark, Orne
- new Kingdom: Normans (will be available as a reward)
- new Items: Kite Shield, Rare Wines
Don't worry, we can add more stretch goals if you get even more enthusiastic!
Risks and challenges
We understand that there has been a long history of failed Kickstarter projects for computer games. For that reason, and to make sure that people can get involved from the start, we are only using Kickstarter after we already have the basics of the game engine working and live. Why not go to our website and register now! It's free, and you will get a feel for the type of game we are building.
We have the infrastructure needed to distribute the gold rewards and badges already, and so we will send those out as soon as the campaign finishes.
The rest is planned and currently on schedule to be delivered at the same time. As our current players can attest, our team has a good reputation for delivering functionality on time or even faster than expected!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (19 days)