The Steam Squad single campaign will see the player taking part in the conflict of three superpowers. Take on tactical challenges with your 6 to 12-men squad while playing a role of the crew leader. Your squad consists of the ordinary soldiers, not elite fighters, and action mostly takes you to the front lines. Therefore, as a result of each missions squad suffers considerable losses.
To form a tactical group before the mission there are three classes of soldiers varying in types of weapons. Each class has a selection of primary and secondary weapons. There will be machine guns, portable artillery, sniper rifles, grenades, medkits and more. Light infantry can also use field machinery such as tanks, cars and stationary artillery.
There are three fractions to be featured in the game, corresponding to the three superpowers. The story will unfold through six consecutive campaigns.
A short history of the Steamsquad world
- 1274: Annexation of Nippon by Tianxia.
- 1556: Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, King of Castile and Aragon, Archduke of Austria and so on rejects in favor of his brother Ferdinand I. The new Emperor began to pursue a strong centralization policy.
- 1570: The Ivan IV the Terrible Novgorod campaign. The Baltic trading company convinces Elizabeth I to send troops to Novgorod. Foundation of the Novgorod dominion.
- 1581: The pioneers of Tianxia and the Moscow realm met in the Urals.
- 1618 – 1648: Thirty-three years war. The Habsburgs against the anti-Habsburg coalition of HRE and France. Thanks to the leadership talent of Albrecht von Wallenstein and competent coordination of the Spanish and Austrian armies, Habsburg forces win. It’s a landslide victory. Under the peace treaty the Kingdoms of Germany and Italy are restored. The title of King of Germany and Italy are assigned to the emperor of the HRE. The Habsburgs introduced Salic law of succession into the HRE.
- 1756 – 1763: The Seven Years’ War. France against HRE and Britain. Section of French possessions. HRE converts into a pan-European country.
- 1905: Due to dangerous situation in the Urals, Britain guarantees the independence of Moscovia and the Scandinavian countries.
- 1914: The Moscow murder. Novgorod terroristic group killed Plenipotentiary Ambassador of Tianxia in Moscovia.
World War I in this universe has not become the first yet, so it's name is simply "the Great War". And it is much bigger, than the real one... There are only three serious players at the World Arena in 1914:
- Tianxia, that have taken most of the Eastern hemisphere;
- Britain with many colonies (dominions);
- The Holy Roman Empire, which has won most of Europe and territories, that we call "Latin America" now.
Each of these states has a chance to became a world dominator.
Steam Squad - is the story of a prosperous world that (because of the stupidity of "big uncles") is burned in the fire of the Great War. The game starts in 1914, and the world we see is filled with beautiful cities, fantastic technologies, and curiously naive men — young men dead sure that nothing bad can get to them.
At the end of the story, three years later, the world will be much more similar to ours. Cities, that turned into ruins, will be rebuilded with incredible speed, without any pretensions to style. The concept of "technology" will became a synonym for death. A light-hearted young men, those who survived, will became professional murderers. In this story, there will be no happy end, and no winners.
Risks and challenges
Developing a video game always requires the cooperation of many people, so technical risks are unavoidable. However, since the development of Steam Squad already completed more than two-thirds to date most of the risks both technical and related to the human factor - are behind. Of course, we understand that there is always a small risk of delays, but we promise to do our best and keep you informed.
3D-printing the characters may take a bit longer than stated, but hopefully no more than a month or two.
- (30 days)