February 2016 Dev Update
If you haven't already, you can follow Rogue Wizards on Steam and add the game to your wishlist.
February has been all about magic, and now all 6 elemental magic schools each have 3 spells for a total of 18 complete and working spells that can be learned by the player. We'll certainly still tweak these spells here and there, but having all 18 of them implemented is a huge milestone in terms of content.
Town continues to get a facelift with new artwork pieces and arrangemnts. However, the most signifigant change includes a set of 6 pedastools which light up once the player has liberated the elemental realm from the wizard that was controlling it. Having these markers in town clues players into exactly what the scope of the campaign is from the start and visually shows progress as the player moves through the game.
Finally, we’ve done huge pass on all the story dialog along with NPC cast member changes that allow for a more natural flow through the entire game. Characters now have more interactions and give the player a lot more information about the world, the wizard guild, and the fight against Hosperak.
- All 18 spells across 6 schools of magic are now implemented
- There is now a set of gems in town that fill up over time, when each elemental dungeon is available a gem lights up, and once the boss is defeated his sigil wraps the gem.
- New Spell: Force of Nature, Launch a directed ball of energy that strikes enemies within X tiles dealing Y as it travels a maximum distance of Z tiles.
- New Spell: Shield, creates a damage absorbing barrier around the caster and blocks some special attacks
- New Spell: Ignite, Creates a circle of expanding flame from the caster
- New spell: Anomaly, Summons a cosmic anomaly that follows you and transmutes enemies into various objects
- New spell: Boulder, Throw a massive boulder dealing earth damage with a high chance to knock the target back one tile
- Freeze now summons a small group of clouds that rise up from the ground, snow down, and attempt to freeze any targets below them.
- Second pass at all dialog is now integrated across all mainline quests
- The cast of characters for town structures and all quests have been updated to the new story dialog
- Fireball no longer has a chance to burn the target if the completely blocked the fireball attack
- Fixed Albatross doing double damage with its electric field skill (disabled "combat at target" flag in the skill like the players is)
- Shield now takes 15 elements to cast
- Stalagmites, Electric Fields, and Sentinels are now saved and therefore exist between save games and level transitions
- Stalagmites now last for more turns as the spell levels up
- Steal can now only be executed against players and no longer against followers or summoned sentinel actors
- Sentinel now tries to summon itself near to the enemy that is furthest away from you - Sentinel is now limited to 5 total, when summoning the 6th sentinel, the oldest one will be destroyed
- Pallom is now found in the first dungeon and returns to Antarit with you
- Pallom now inhabits the vault in town
- Alnar now inhabits the supply depot in town
- The first spell now drops on the last level of the first intro dungeon
- The player is now automatically transported to the first dungeon after reading the scroll in the Wayside Inn, a portal no longer appears that the player has to walk through
Other Roguelikes - Barony: Cursed Edition
The folks over at Turning Wheel have been busy updating their rogue-like indie game called Barony and have just released the Cursed Edition. Barony is the only co-op first-person rogue-like RPG, so if you're looking for some co-op action stop by and check it out the brand new Cursed Edition Trailer and follow it at the Barony Steam page.