About this project
Ever wonder what would have happened if you were in charge of that show you watch?
- Would those two have gotten together after all?
- Would he have finally reconciled with his mother?
- Would there have been fewer vampires? More wicked professors?
With Primetime Adventures, that's all up to you!
Create your characters, figure out what makes them tick and assign actors to the parts.
Things won't always go the way you want. Will the characters prove their loyalty? Will they stay out of trouble? Will they remain friends? Play cards to find out what happens when things on the show get complicated.
It's a fun game, but you don't just have to take my word for it. Wil Wheaton, actor, blogger, writer (you might remember him from Stand By Me, Star Trek, and more recently SyFy's The Wil Wheaton Project) gives it high praise on his web show, "Tabletop."
Primetime Adventures is a book: 7 x 9, something around 120 pages, give or take some layout ideas and artwork. That may sound like a lot if you've never played this kind of game before, but don't worry: a good portion of that is examples and advice. It doesn't take much to sit down with your friends and start playing.
In the book (or pdf) you'll find rules and procedures for:
- Creating your TV series. Deciding what your show is about, assembling a cast of characters, choosing locations, and more.
- Creating scenes. How do you begin and end a scene? How do you know if one of the characters will get what they want? How do you know whose turn it is?
- Bringing the feel of TV. Creating a story arc for each main character, describing camera techniques, following the classic act structure.
- Coming back for more! How to pick up where you left off and create a season, allowing each character to have their moments.
- Examples Galore. I'll use a couple example TV shows to walk you through every step so you can see how it's done.
The PDF: Anyone who pledges at the Special Guest Star level or higher gets a copy of the pdf.
The Cards: Primetime Adventures requires a deck of cards to play. If you want a little something special you can pledge at the Director level and get a custom deck.
The Music: The what? That's right. I'm going to offer up my skills as a musician/composer and create a theme song for your TV show. You'll provide me info about the show -- setting, tone, characters, etc -- and I'll make you an mp3, somewhere around a minute long.
Risks and challenges
I've done this before! Primetime Adventures was first released in 2004 as a DIY (do it yourself) game and over the years has earned numerous accolades and has been translated into multiple languages. Based on feedback from fans, it's about time I created a high-quality new edition.
To clarify, the money will mostly go toward printing the books. I already hired an editor to go through the text, so it's in really great shape.
I'm keeping the rewards down to very few moving parts. The cards will be the best quality I can find, and I have already investigated a few options.
There will be some things that I don't have absolute control over. Real life tends to provide its share of emergencies. I promise to keep you all informed if something unexpected comes along.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)