About this project
THE FINAL STRETCH
Here's a quick list of the pledge rewards and add-ons since the Kickstarter began. Thank you SO much for making this such a wild success! With your help, we've shown that tabletop rpgs for kids are important, and well-loved!!
Pledge Levels and What You Get
Name listed on Website
Name listed on Website
Adventure Maximus PDF
Into the Woodland Realm Promo Pack PDF
Figure Flats (PDF)
Maximus Master Screen (PDF)
Island of the Shining Lady Promo pack (PDF)
The Cake is a Pie promo card (PDF)
Wishes promo cards (PDF)
Box, Duct Tape and Marker promo cards (PDF)
Adventure Maximus! Monster Poster (PDF)
From the Realm of Kickstartia promo cards (PDF)
Hero $35 and $60 (International Backer)
Name listed on Website
Adventure Maximus (PDF and Print)
Into the Woodland Realm Promo Pack (PDF and Print)
Figure Flats (PDF)
Maximus Master Screen (PDF)
Island of the Shining Lady Promo Pack (PDF and Print)
The Cake is a Pie promo card (PDF and 3 copies in Print)
Wishes promo cards (PDF and Print)
Box, Duct Tape and Marker promo cards (PDF and Print)
Adventure Maximus! Monster Poster (PDF and Print)
From the Realm of Kickstartia promo cards (PDF and Print)
Legend $135 and $160 (International Backer)
Personalized Magic Weapon Card
Plus all Hero level items
Magister $175 and $200 (International Backer)Name a spell card in the core set
Plus all Hero level items
You can modify your reward by using the "Manage My Pledge" feature. Look toward the bottom of the page for a more detailed list of Reward Add-On items you can add onto your existing reward. Just add the appropriate amount to your pledge. When the Kickstarter campaign is over and we send out the survey, you'll be asked which add-ons you want.
- $5 - 9" x 12" pocket folder with 2 - 9 pocket card sleeves. Additional 9 pocket sleeves maybe added at $2.00 for a set of 4
- $5 - Print and PDF copy of 18 card STAR MAXIMUS preview pack
- $5 - PDF version of Adventure Set One
- $5 - PDF version of Frandalf's Adventure Guide
- $10 - Print and PDF copy of Frandalf's Adventure Guide
- $10 - Print version of the Figure Flats
- $10 - Printer version of Maximus Master Screen
- $10 - Print and PDF copy of Adventure Set One
- $10 - Print and PDF copy of the 16 page coloring book
- $10 - Print and PDF copy of 36 blank Maximus cards
- $10 - Print and PDF copy of Character Sheet Pad
- $10 - Print copy of the poster Map of the World of Ex-Machina
- $12 - Deluxe Maximus Dice (these are different than the ones in the box set)
- $20 - 1 Gig Flash Drive pre-loaded with all the PDF files for your pledge level
- $20 - 5 Adventure Maximus! felt dice bags and 5 plastic hinged card holders
- $20 - Adventure Maximus T-Shirt
- $25 - Additional copy of Adventure Maximus! (Print copy)
The Who-What-Where adventure creation system lets ANYONE who can read create and run a game. It’s time for...
"This is the most awesome game in the history of existence!"
- Victor (age 6)
Adventure Maximus! is a role playing game designed with kids in mind. As a parent, we want to get our kids involved in the same games we play but sometimes our games are not 'kid friendly'. The sad reality is most RPGs on the market today are not geared for children, just us older gamers. But how do we get the young ones into the hobby that we grew up on?
Well we make a game for them!
Adventure Maximus! is a game where kids can easily create a character, plan and run adventures, find treasures and be heroes of their imagination. Adventure Maximus! inspires creativity, problem solving and provides quality face time with other human beings rather than staring into computer screens all with the help of dice and cards (by using dice and cards it gives the kids that extra toy value to keep them at the table).
"You need to hurry up and make this game so I can have one."
- Sophia Vasilakos ( age 7)
As an industry veteran, Ive published a lot of role playing games but nothing as ambitious and long lasting as creating a new platform to bring new players into the offline gaming world. What better place to start than with our kids.
My long time friend Francis Hogan and I have put together an ambitious project that we hope you can help us with. It takes a lot of resources and capital to make a good game - as well as being able to market and find those players. Kickstarter has opened up many opportunities to expand that.
I hope you will lend us your support and help us spread the word to as many people and parent/gamer resource outlets as possible. Please help us make our dream of bringing an RPG that kids can run as well as play to the gaming community come true!
"Can I run the game?"
- Liam Hogan (Age 8)
Adventure MAXIMUS! is a card based, introductory Role Playing Game for players 8 years-of-age and up. Players can take on roles from eight different races. Working together as a famous "Adventure Company" based in the fantastic, post-apocalyptic world of Ex-Machina where they can become heroes of legend.
When there is trouble, or innocent people need protection from the fierce creatures that populate Ex-Machina, they call on Adventure Companies to save the day!
Adventure MAXIMUS! follows the classic role playing game format consisting of someone who runs the adventure (who we call a Maximus Master) and 2 or more players who interact with the adventure. Inexperienced Maximus Masters will find using our Adventure Creation System helpful when making their first adventure. Also, the role of Maximus Master can be taken over by a player in mid adventure so that everyone gets a chance to play!
Players will be asked to make heroic actions fueled by Action Points. Players receive a limited amount of Action Points each round, so they must be budgeted. The bigger the action, the greater the cost. Action Points replenish each round. Racial Abilities, Class Abilities, Action Powers, Spells and Items all have Action Point costs printed on their cards.
"How do I know how many Action Points I get and how do I get more?"
This video will show you how to find out about Action Points in Adventure Maximus!
To determine if actions taken succeed or fail, Players will consult the abilities, powers and items being used. Add all the "+" bonuses together, and roll that number of Maximus Dice.
- Maximus Dice have three blank sides that are not counted as successes.
- One side has the single sword symbol, which is counted as one success for each time it comes up.
- One side has the double sword symbol, which is counted as two successes for each time it comes up.
- One side bears the Maximus symbol, which is counted as two successes for each time it comes up, and the player may roll an additional die for every Maximus symbol that comes up in a single roll.
This will create a great deal of excitement at your game table every time the Maximus side appears.
"I love Rolling the dice in Adventure Maximus! but what do all these symbols mean?"
Watch this video and we'll show you how to roll them bones!
Players will move through the landscape of the world of Ex-Machina, as described through the images on the map cards. They will encounter the creatures there, then either through combat or wits, the players can defeat the challenge. At that point they receive loot and experience points. Defeating a creature by using brains over brawn will always earn players more experience points.
Creatures in the world of Ex-Machina fit into one of three basic classes, Lackeys (the weakest), Monsters (Strong creatures, but not necessarily evil) and Bosses (powerful evil masterminds bent on world domination!).
Players can encounter Lackeys and Monsters anywhere in Ex-Machina, but Bosses are usually only encountered at the end of an adventure.
Here is a video of kids playing Adventure MAXIMUS!
"It must have been a really good game because Brian came
home and tried to make his own."
- Dawn Bauer (mother of Brian age 11)
The Adventure Maximus! box set (which will have a SRP of $25.00) will include:
• 11 fully illustrated race cards
• 30 fully illustrated creature cards
• 16 player class cards
• 45 fully illustrated item cards
• 26 fully illustrated spells
• 16 action powers
• 18 fully illustrated location cards
• a full color soft cover rule book
• set of 5 Maximus Dice
We are hoping to expand the contents of this box with stretch goals if the project is funded. We have designed over 300 cards for Adventure Maximus! and would love to offer more! With a larger budget, we can do that!
The game will be printed right here in the USA, which will allow for a faster turnaround time and supporting our local businesses. By doing so, we plan to have copies available for GenCon 2013 in Indianapolis.
Here is some samples of the revised card design since the videos have been made:
"Joe was insulted he didn't get Adventure MAXIMUS! for Christmas."
- Barbara Cardone (mother of Joe age 11)
In addition to the rewards listed, you will be able to add some items to enhance your pledge level!
- Add $25.00 for each additional copies of Adventure Maximus!
- Add $20 to add an awesome Adventure Maximus T-shirt! Shirts come in all sizes and colors. Get one or more for the whole family!
- Add $10 and get a folded 18"x24" poster map of the world of Ex-Machina! Signed by artist and creator Francis James Hogan!
- Add $12 and get 5 deluxe engraved Maximus dice!
- Add $20 and 5 Adventure Maximus! felt dice bags and 5 plastic hinged card holders to store your treasure and items from each game session!
- Add $10 and get a 16 page coloring book (as well a PDF version of it) with line art of the monsters and races drawn by artist and creator Francis James Hogan!
- Add $10 and get a deck of 36 blank Maximus cards so you and your kids can create your own races, spells, locations, items and monsters! (as well a PDF version of it)
- Add $10 and get a pad of 50 full color character sheets.
- Add $5 to get a custom Adventure Maximus 9" x 12" pocket folder to store your character sheets! We will also include 2 - 9 pocket card sleeves to store your cards for those characters. Additional 9 pocket sleeves maybe added at $2.00 for a set of 4.
- Add $20 to get an Adventure Maximus 1 Gig flash drive with our logo, pre-loaded with all the PnP files we are giving you, plus some surprise images of things to come!
- Add $5.00 to get an exclusive 18 card preview pack featuring the 8 Adventure Maximus! races reimagined for Star Maximius! These races will not be available in the Star Maximus! Starter Set. Star Maximus! will be released in 2014 (and will have its own Kickstarter). This add-on will include a PnP version.
- Add $10 for the printed (and PDF) or just $5 for the PDF version 16 page color booklet: Frandalf's Adventure Guide: The Realms of Ex-Machina featuring detailed descriptions of the exotic locations of Ex-Machina, powerful rulers and important people from each of the regions, catalogs of creatures common to the regions of Ex-Machina plus rumors and adventure hooks to inspire Maximus Masters! Henchman pledge levels may add $5 to get the PDF version.
- Add $10 for the printed (and PDF) version (or $5.00 for the PDF version only) of the first expansion for Adventure Maximus! - this expansion will feature 2 18 card packs: Myths & Mutants and Tinkers & Gizmos that include new races, items, spells, monsters and map locations not included in the box set.
UNLOCKED: We will increase the card count of the base set by adding in 18 additional cards! Bringing the total from 108 cards to 126 cards!
UNLOCKED: We are adding full color Figure Flats! These are standups you can use instead of miniatures. All backers will get the PDF version for free that you can just print out! There will be at least four sheets of characters and monsters. If you want the print version as well, which will be printed on glossy cardstock, add $10 to your pledge once this goal is achieved!
UNLOCKED: We will increase the card count of the base set by adding in 18 additional cards! Bringing the total from 126 cards to 144 cards!
UNLOCKED: We will include a PDF of the 4 panel Maximus Master Screen! This screen features the denizens of Ex-Machina facing the players and on the other side useful information for the Maximus Master to help run the game. You may add $10 to your pledge to get the print version on glossy cardstock.
UNLOCKED: We will increase the card count of the base set by adding in 18 additional cards! Bringing the total from 144 cards to 162 cards!
UNLOCKED: All pledge levels $15 and higher (print and play pledges will only get print and play versions) will get this Kickstarter Exclusive pack. If you are pledging for more than one copy of the base game (as an add-on), EACH copy of the base game will come with this exclusive pack. Additional packs maybe purchased at $5.00 a pack as an add-on.
UNLOCKED: Everyone will get birthday cake - I mean a birthday cake promo card! All backers will get a PDF version, and all Hero level and above backers will get a set of 3 hardcopy "The Cake is a Pie" promo card!
UNLOCKED! 3 promo cards based on granting wishes! All backers will get a PDF version, and all Hero level and above backers will get a set of 3 hardcopy wish promo cards!
UNLOCKED: Another set of promo cards to spark your player's imagination! All backers will get a PDF version, and all Hero level and above backers will get a set of 3 hardcopies of the promo card!
UNLOCKED: A 18" x 24" Adventure Maximus Gotta Loot Them All Poster detailing the monsters of Ex-Machina! All backers will get a PDF version, and all Hero level and above backers will get a hardcopy version.
UNLOCKED: From the Realm of Kickstartia promo cards! All backers will get a PDF version, and all Hero level and above backers will get a set of the promo cards!
Want to support your friendly local gaming store? So do we, which is why we have a pre-order system set up. The following retailers have already joined in the Kickstarter campaign and are happy to take Adventure Maximus! pre-orders:
- Comic Book World (Florence, KY and Louisville, KY USA)
- Games Plus (Mount Prospect, IL USA)
- Shall We Play Games (Las Vegas, NV USA)
- Dragon Snack Games (Mount Morris, NY USA)
- Myriad Games: Salem (Salem, NH USA)
- Myriad Games: Staten Island (Staten Island, NY USA)
- Myriad Games: Manchester (Manchester, NH USA)
- Gnome Games (Green Bay, WI USA)
- Zombie Planet (Albany NY USA)
If you want a retailer to join in on this... then bring their attention to our Kickstarter!
You may have noticed the guy in the video is not me, George Vasilakos. I will be the publisher of this game. I will be publishing and distributing this game via my game company, Eden Studios. I will help bring the game that Francis created into final production and eventually into distribution into game stores and book stores.You may know me from my previous published games (see my bio on the right) but you may not know Francis.
Francis James Hogan currently serves as a Senior Artist for the New York State Legislature. Francis has freelanced as a designer/illustrator for many years and has credits with Eden Studios, Atlas Games, Alderac Entertainment Group, Scapegoat Games, and others.
Up until 2005 he worked as an Art Director in the private sector for Delmar/ThomsonLearning and EPS, Inc as a Photo Editor. Francis has designed over one hundred book covers and hundreds of illustrations over the course of his career for Cengage, Wadsworth, McGraw Hill, Elsevier, Addison-Wesley, Brooks Cole and others.
Francis Graduated from Pratt Institute (with me) where he was a member of the Pratt Circle of Excellence and was named The Grand Inquisitor of Design.
Francis dances in Waterford, NY with his brilliant and talented wife Mickey and their three dangerous boys Joseph, Liam and Sean.
Thank you for taking the time to look at our Kickstarter project!
Risks and challenges
We need a minimum of $12,000 to complete the project and have it manufactured. There are additional costs such as advertising & marketing, prototyping, and administrative costs involved in producing a product such as this. We have already invested months of our time in playtesting, art and design - but we are the point where we want to see this game done. Our hope is to raise more than the funding goal to cover these additional costs.
Regardless, as long as we meet our funding goal, we will deliver the rewards to you as promised.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Yes. George Vasilakos *is* Eden Studios. Eden Studios will handle the publishing and distribution of Adventure Maximus with help from our retailer and distributor relations we have made over the years. So we expect to have this game available in fine retailer stores that stock Eden Studios products.
We playtested this game with our family and friends who ranged from 5-45. But we recommend any child (or adult) who can read of at least 8 years of age. But that doesn't stop you from letting anyone younger play - you will just have to help them out.
Yes. To keep the costs of producing the game down, the dice in the box set are blank dice that you affix stickers onto (which are included in the game). You have the option to add a deluxe set of dice made by Chessex to your pledge level.
Just click on your pledge level, then change the dollar amount to reflect the new total with the items you wish to add-on. At the end of the Kickstarter, we will send you a survey asking what items you added to your pledge level.
Support this project
- (30 days)