About this project
Mothership takes the best elements from dice combat games and blends this into an easy to pick up, unpredictable and enjoyable gaming experience. It's light-hearted, engaging and the most fun you will have had rolling dice in ages!
Mothership is a tabletop dice combat game for 2 to 6 people. Players take turns moving ships, attacking other players, capturing planets and managing an economy.
Your fleet is composed of three unique ship types, including the versatile Mothership that can modify its weapons, shields and engines on the fly.
All players start with the same fleet of ships on a balanced board that changes every time you play. Battles occur between ships using dice and players must protect their own base while attacking their enemy's base.
To get the edge over their opponents, players must capture planets and spend resources on upgrading a technology tree. The technology tree complements certain strategies and there is no bad choice. It all depends on out-smarting your enemy.
Mothership also throws a little chaos into the mix with action cards! You can choose to put your money into chance or careful strategy... or both! Mothership caters to either play styles.
- Control Panel: You can change your Mothership’s stats every turn by managing energy.
- Dynamic: The game board changes every time you play. You can create your own board layout using the asteroid tiles!
- Balance: All players have an equal chance, yet can choose from a wide range of tactics.
- Engaging: There’s never a dull moment! You still have a chance of winning right up until you lose your last ship.
- Technology Tree: Allows players to choose different tactics each time they play.
- Accessible: First time players can compete against veterans of dice combat games. Mothership can also be simplified for younger players by removing the tech tree while still being a ton of fun!
- Game Pieces: 4x Colony Stations, 4x Motherships, 12x Fighters, 8x Bombers, 16x Capture Markers, 6x planets, 34x black stands
- Printed: 1x Game board (18"), 4x Mothership Control Panels, 4x Tech Trees, 90x action cards, 30x resource cards, 4x Victory Point cards, 1x card mat, 12x asteroid tiles.
- Other: 84x blue energy, 64x red HP, 12x grey
- Dice: 1x Regular D4, D6, D8, D10, D12
- Game pieces: 2x Colony stations, 2x Motherships, 6x Fighters, 4x Bombers, 2x Planets, 16x transparent stands
- Dice: Kickstarter exclusive Mothership dice set 1x D4, D6, D8, D10, D12,
- Printed: 1x 6 player board (replaces standard board, 20" and higher hex count, is double sided with 4 player board on back), 12x Silver embossed asteroid pieces (replaces standard asteroids), 2x Tech Trees, 2x Control Panel, 2x Victory Point cards
- Counters: 42x blue energy, 32x red HP, 6x grey
The great Space Disagreement of 5406 has forced your entire colony to flee into the dark depths of outer space. You’re not alone. Other colonies too seek refuge from the war. All scramble to harvest the valuable resources on undiscovered planets. Your mission: destroy all other colonies. Diplomacy is boring. Shoot first, confirm if they were enemies later...
1. Move, 2. attack, 3. get planets, 4. get money and 5. buy upgrades.
If you're not into watching a video you can also have a look at the full rulebook here. Please be aware some graphics will change in the final print version.
For the Solo and Victory point variant rules you can check out a draft here that will be published in the final print version.
Kickstarter surveys with be handled by BackerKit which means you will have maximum flexibility to change your details and add-ons right up until our ship date.
Preview by NVS Gameplays
Preview at a Public Playtest
Special Event D6
This will shake things up! Used as an optional game-play element this D6 causes positive or negative effects to everyone playing. Will space pirates steal your money? Will a solar storm charge your energy? ...will some players fare worse than others?
To see how the events work you can check out a draft of the rules here.
Plastic Tray Insert
The plastic tray insert features a two-tier design with the bottom tray being for all the game pieces and the top tray being for all the printed components.
The top tray also splits off to form a card holder for use during the game. This will keep the discard, action and resource cards in place (replaces the printed card mat). Sleevers rejoice! The card tray will also be big enough to hold sleeved cards!
Explore the planets you conquer! Expand Mothership with this exciting stretch goal that lets you uncover ancient alien artifacts that may help you overcome the enemy. But be careful! The artifacts you discover are tied to the planet they were found on. If someone else captures your planet that relic now belongs to them!
Added components: 10x Artifact cards, 10x number hex tokens
Fight in another part of space! If you feel like you need a change from the current artwork, flip the board over for something different.
At present the 4 player board is single sided and the 6 player board is double sided with the same artwork (but different hex count). This stretch goal will add new space artwork to both boards (current art not final).
Plastic Capture Markers
Capture planets in style with these new molded plastic capture markers! With little flags on the sides and the energy logo stamped in the center, controlling a planet has never looked so good!
Added components: Standard edition - 5x capture makers for each colour (20 in total), Premium edition - 7x capture markers for each colour (42 in total)
Linen Card Stock
All action, resource and artifact cards will get printed on linen card stock. Holding cards never felt so good!
Metal Dice Upgrade by Easy Roller Dice
Nothing says science-fiction quite like electric blue on metal...which is what our dice will now be made of! We've partnered with Easy Roller Dice to forge our Premium custom Mothership dice set out of metal, how cool is that!? Not to be forgotten, those who purchase the Standard Edition of Mothership will also get a metal upgrade!
This stretch goal is also available to all those who selected the $9 dice pledge level.
We have an accountant on our team that has costed all elements of the manufacturing and fulfilment process.
We will be using ShipNaked to post out backer rewards. ShipNaked have a fantastic reputation and offer worldwide customs-friendly shipping! So you don't have to worry about extra charges when backing Mothership.
USA: $11 USD, Everywhere else: $19 USD
Peter Sanderson is the lead designer, artist and creator of Mothership. This is his greatest project ever and is the culmination of everything he loves about board games and science fiction.
Just about everything you see on this page has been crafted by Peter, except for the following special thanks: Graeme, for the backing ukulele in the videos. Alkira and Nathan for their voice work in the launch trailer. Brendan, Bjorn and Bianca for being involved in filming and countless hours of playtesting.
Risks and challenges
Even though this is my first Kickstarter project I am very confident in my ability to get my game to your door. I have previous experience in running a successful business in two Australian states and have also hired an accountant to make sure the money we raise is enough to fund the entire process.
The game itself has been in development for over two years and has been blind playtested by friends and strangers alike. All have loved the game which makes me confident that you will love it too!
I have selected a well known manufacturer, QPC Games, who have great reviews and a good history with fulfilling Kickstarter projects.
Of course, even after all my research and planning even the best project will face challenges. I will ensure that as a backer you stay informed every positive or negative step of the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)