Understanding the "AFTER STANDING" project:
“Forgiveness” is tattooed on her right forearm in a thick black script. This is the seldom told story of the life of an addict after she has learned to stand again. Once an addict reaches solid ground in their sobriety, the sky's the limit—they may as well learn to fly. That’s the trajectory 42-year-old Angi took when she found aerial silk arts, a hobby that laid the groundwork for re-establishing her self-expression and her relationships. With these funds I will be able to continue my reporting on Angi's life "After Standing." My goal is to educate everyone—addict or not—that it’s never too late to re-define yourself and discover purpose in life.
FUNDS ARE FUN!
"After Standing" is my graduate thesis project for the New Media and Photojournalism program at the George Washington University's Corcoran College of Art and Design. Your support would help make my storytelling visions possible.
Here is a breakdown of the minimum cost for accomplishing this project:
- Airfare: Appx. $900 for flights to be able to take multiple trips to and from graduate school in Washington, DC and South Florida where my story takes place.
- Gas: Appx. $200 for traveling by car throughout South Florida as I follow my subject in her daily life.
- Website: Appx. $200 for a two-year subscription for a domain name and unrestricted website customization/design that I will showcase my project on to prospective employers.
- Book printing/ publishing fees: Appx. $300 for high-quality hard-copies of my story's written and photographic content. It is my vision for the story to be published online and in print.
- Equipment Rentals: Appx. $200 for optimal lighting, sound and video equipment to tell this story effectively.
- Gallery Exhibition Materials: Appx. $200 to purchase professional-grade paper for printing still photography, the materials for mounting and exhibiting these photographs and any other components needed to fund my project's display at The Corcoran Gallery of Art's "NEXT" exhibition in Washington, DC from April through May 2017.
- Any remaining funds? will be donated to a cause or foundation of Angi's choosing (i.e. women's shelter, halfway house, non-profit organization associated with addiction awareness)
Minimum fundraising goal: $2,000
MAKE AN INVESTMENT.
HAVE AN IMPACT.
This story will serve as an inspirational resource for anyone who ever thought or still thinks they can’t when they can. Kickstarter is ALL OR NOTHING. I will not receive ANY of your donations unless I reach my fundraising goal!
Thank you for your support!
Risks and challenges
"A RIVER CUTS THROUGH ROCK NOT BECAUSE OF ITS POWER, BUT BECAUSE OF ITS PERSISTENCE." - Jim Watkins
What every multimedia journalist hopes for is that their technology functions seamlessly out in the field. I don't anticipate the project falling apart, nor will I allow it to, because the topic is too important to let it go by the wayside.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)