This project's funding goal was not reached on July 20, 2012.
About this project
WELCOME TO JITTERBUG MILLIE'S!
AMERICAN MUSIC CULTURE AND HISTORY
Jitterbug Millie's will promote awareness and enjoyment of early American music to all who enter the establishment. Being a native of Chicago, my love for Jazz is in my blood. I feel that it's important to NEVER lose touch with our musical roots.
Jitterbug Millie's is to be a fun and lively establishment where people can find friends and create lasting memories. Walls will be decorated with real instruments, such as saxophones, clarinets, flutes, etc. I'd like to put in a piano as well. Maybe someone who loves to play will come in and entertain! Pictures of many jazz artists from that era will also line the walls such as:
- Etta James
- Cab Calloway
- Louis Armstrong
- Artie Shaw
- Benny Goodman
- Ella Fitzgerald
- AND MORE!
We will play Swing Jazz/Dixieland and Ragtime music. The entire environment will reflect the 20's and 30's, including clothing style. Old style movies with big band themes will also be playing in the background for customers to enjoy. I’d like to open the first big band/swing jazz café in Maine and will need the help of all music and food lovers to make this happen!
Jitterbug Millie's will promote a colorful, tasty, and musical environment for all to enjoy. A variety of different flavored coffees and loose-leaf teas as well as many baked goods made in the cafe kitchen daily will be offered. Lunches will consist of soups, salads and sandwiches using all fresh ingredients from local Maine farms.
Since our cafe will reflect a 20's/30's environment, I've also decided to reflect the food style of those decades as well like:
- coffee cakes
- Waldorf salad
- fruit cocktails
- jello molds
- pineapple upside down cakes
- egg salads
- chicken salads
- tuna salads
- potato salads
- scrambled egg sandwiches
- variety of finger sandwiches
- soft drinks garnished with fruit
My husband is also a very talented and passionate chef who was in charge of his family restaurant business for five years in Florida, which is where we met. It's no doubt his food was admired and enjoyed by many and I'm glad to say he will be bringing his skills and talent our way.
Other Jitterbug Millie's menu items will consist of "some" of the following:
- A variety of different coffee flavors and loose-leaf teas (as stated above)
- Healthy smoothies and cold fruit drinks, all ingredients purchased locally (using raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, and more)
- Seasonal Soups & Salads/Sandwiches
- 10" Gourmet Pizzas (we can get creative here, fun!)
- Fresh pastries, truffles, cookies, etc. made on a daily basis in the cafe
- Freshly made apple pies
- Muffins made with wild Maine blueberries
- Rich chocolate cakes
- I will also include a few Vegan items as well
Funding will help me accomplish the following:
- All Licensing & Permits
- Building a kitchen from scratch, fully equipped which meets all code regulations. A ventilation system which consists of the hood, vents, sprinkler system, installation, etc. will cost over $10,000. I will also need to purchase convection ovens as well as a pizza oven.
- Installation of a handicapped accessible bathroom. Funding will be used for materials and labor costs.
Jitterbug Millie's will be located in the Mid to Southern Maine area. I have a place already set in mind and have spoken to the realtor and have put together funds from my own money and received financial help from a family member to secure a space.
*****If we don't make our goal by our deadline, you will not be charged for your donation. If we do, you will be receiving a special thank you treat (or treats) from us! We apologize, but we do not ship overseas. *****
Thank you very much for your support!!!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (46 days)