What We're Doing
Join Heartspark Press and friends in creating The Resilience Anthology, the largest collection of literature to exclusively feature transgender women and (C)AMAB (coercively assigned male at birth) non-binary writers.
Who's In Our Book
Resilience stars a wide spectrum of contemporary (C)AMAB trans writers, each exploring different worlds across race, class, ability, and gender identity. We're proud to feature new work from over thirty authors, including forty-one short stories, essays, and poems from so many of our friends (old and new). Our list of authors includes:
Luna Merbruja • KOKUMO • Magpie Leibowitz • Moss Angel • Joss Barton • Ariel Howland • Casey Plett • Sascha Hamilton • Sophia Starheart • A.K. Blue • Rahne Alexander • Tobi Hill-Meyer • Lawrence Walker • Connifer Candlewood • Serafima Mintz • Talia Johnson • Sugi Pyrrophyta • Oti Onum • Sara Oliver Wight • erica, inchoate • Lillita Lustre • Tyler Vile • Lina Corvus • Bridget Liang • CHRYSALISAMIDST • Ana Valens • Larissa Glasser • Lilith Dawn • AR Rushet • Boudicca Walsh • Rabbi Emily Aviva-Kapor • and an introduction by Julia Serano
“As far as we know, there hasn’t been an anthology specifically like this before,” said Executive Publisher and Resilience curator Amy Heart. “It is the book I needed as a young adult when I was desperately searching for answers about my identity as a trans woman. This anthology is going to change and save lives.”
Because of the huge momentum of our Kickstarter, we've decided to set a new series of stretch goals!
The first new goal is $12,000. While the Heartspark Collective is still sorting out the details, our vision looks a little something like this:
- Take Resilience on tour to key cities across the continent (like NYC, Atlanta, San Francisco, Chicago, Minneapolis, Toronto) so our writers can read their own work to you live.
- Hire a sound designer to record our live shows while on tour. We'll make the recordings available for free on our already-in-progress Oral Storytelling Bandcamp (heartspark.bandcamp.com).
- Increase the stipend for our hardworking volunteer staff.
- Set aside seed money for our children's books division and upcoming bi-annual literary magazine.
- Triple the original print run of Resilience so we've got plenty of copies to donate to our communities and sisters in need.
Our Original Ask: The $6,000 Goal
While we are committed to bringing this project to print, our collective decided it was time to ask our beloved queer community to help offset some of the costs. The majority of our staff are currently living in poverty and we can't easily do this without you.
Here's what we'd like to do with your support:
- Print a first run of Resilience and make it available to purchase here and everywhere.
- Give an honorarium to each of our thirty-two writers involved in the project.
- Pay our cover artist, Mia Rose Elbo, for her beautiful artwork.
- Provide a stipend to our volunteer staff/editors for their time and effort in bringing Resilience to life.
- Purchase multiple ISBNs for each edition of Resilience. We've got our ISBN for hardback, but we'd like to also expand distribution to paperback and the eBook/Kindle/iTunes Bookstore.
- Give away copies of Resilience to our local libraries and to community members in need.
In addition to the above, we have lots of other things we want to do in the future!
By supporting our Kickstarter, you're also helping build the groundwork for future projects that lift the voices of transgender women and (C)AMAB non-binary writers, including:
- Our To-Be-Titled Monthly Video Podcast where we interview (C)AMAB trans writers about all of their nooks and crannies.
- Hate Mail: Our new Bi-Annual Literary Journal of new (C)AMAB trans art and writing.
- Provide low (or no) cost editing, publishing, and promotion to emerging (C)AMAB trans writers.
Risks and challenges
The risks are very low. Our manuscript is finished and headed to the Library of Congress. The design of the book is 90% finished. We're ready to go to print, have solid distribution channels already in place, and an honorarium system for our participants if we can get our goal funded. All we need is for you to make it a reality.
Have any more questions? Check out our website and learn more at heartsparkpress.com. You can also email us anytime at email@example.com. We'd love to hear from you!
Donate today and support transgender women and (C)AMAB non-binary literature!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)