About this project
Thank you! We've reached our minimum fundraising goal! If we hit the following benchmarks, this is what our backers will receive, in addition to their current incentives!
- $22,000: This benchmark allows us to nearly fund our second issue, due out in December. All contributors at the $5 level and over will receive a digital version of THE ONLY LIVING BOY Volume 2! This helps use cover all of the creative costs, but not printing. Still, you'd be getting 100 pages of story for $5!!!
- $23,000: This benchmark allows us to COMPLETELY fund our second issue, due out in December. All contributors at the $10 level and over will receive a digital version of THE ONLY LIVING BOY Volume 2, along with a print copy of the second volume of the book, mailed to them.This helps us cover creative costs, plus printing and shipping. So, for just $1000 more, you'd get the print edition!
- $32,000: This benchmark allows us to completely fund our second issue, due out in December. All contributors at the $25 level and over will receive a digital version of THE ONLY LIVING BOY Volume 2, along with a copy of the second volume of the book and an exclusive backers only ONLY LIVING BOY T-SHIRT mailed to them!
- $37,000: This benchmark allows us to COMPLETELY fund our third issue, due out in March 2013. All contributors at the $50 level and over will receive a digital version of THE ONLY LIVING BOY Volume 2 and Volume 3, along with a print copy of the second and third volumes of the book and an exclusive backers only ONLY LIVING BOY T-SHIRT mailed to them!
- $50,000: This benchmark allows us to COMPLETELY fund the entire series, which will be completed in June 2013. All contributors at the $400 level and over will receive a digital version of THE ONLY LIVING BOY Volumes 2, 3, and 4, along with an exclusive backers only ONLY LIVING BOY T-SHIRT and limited edition maquette.
A handful of you have expressed that there are items you'd like to add to your pledge if you could. Well, now you can! We're pleased to offer an AL CARTE option where you can add multiple items to your current by increasing it a set amount, then send us a note so we can make a note of your upgrade.
- Add $10 to your pledge, get a signed copy of the Harvey nominated: BOX 13 OR get a signed copy of Harvey Award winning: HIGH MOON
- Add $20 to your pledge, get a copy of the sketch cover variant edition OR get both a copy of HIGH MOON & BOX 13!
WHY WE'RE DOING THIS:
As a small, dedicated team, we (David Gallaher and Steve Ellis) have been working together, producing comics for over five years. Our series HIGH MOON won a Harvey Award for Best Online Series, and BOX 13 was one of the first digital comics specifically designed for mobile reading devices. We love working together, telling the kind of stories we want to tell -- and the kind of stories our readers seem to love.
We didn't want to wait to get our new projects and ideas to our passionate readership, so we decided to initially publish our new series ourselves. With your support, we can do just that.
WHAT THE STORY IS ABOUT:THE ONLY LIVING BOY is a young adult graphic novel that tells the story of Erik Farrell, a 12-year old boy, who finds himself with alone and abandoned in a patchwork world. As the last human boy left on earth, he'll try to piece his memory back together, while trying to piece together a new life for himself. Fighting beside Erik are the beguiling, insect princess Thea and the tenacious, mermaid warrior Morgan.
His opposition is a menagerie of exotic and dangerous creatures all under the command of the Dreaded Lord Baalikar and the fiendish Doctor Once.
The series, like our other work, is inspired by pulp adventure novels and stories we grew up on -- like John Carter, Tarzan, Flash Gordon, Killraven, and the Jungle Book -- but with a flavor all of its own!
If you're already fans of our work on projects like HIGH MOON or BOX 13, this series will have everything that you've come to expect from us. Crazy Action! High Adventure! Drama! Suspense!
WHERE THE MONEY GOES:By the time this Kickstarter campaign launches, we will have been hard at work for over a year to make this ambitious project – THE ONLY LIVING BOY – a reality.
All told there will be four volumes of the series -- each about 50 pages in length. A nearly 200 page epic saga ... !!!
The goal, listed over in the top right corner, represents the amount of money we need to raise to create and produce the minimum number of copies of the first volume of THE ONLY LIVING BOY – which will debut during this year's San Diego Comic Con.
Money earned will go to covering fees, postage, and development of the comic and the incentives. Additional funds earned beyond our goal will be used in service of the other three remaining volumes in the series and to cover things like postage for the incentives. If the demand and support is high enough, we'll roll out additional incentives and rewards. If we don’t reach our goal within 30 days, though, no one will be charged anything; you'll pay only if the project is successful.
WHAT YOU'LL GET WHEN YOU PLEDGE:
No matter how much you can afford to pledge, we want to make our story available to both our casual and our hardcore fans. To that end, we're offering different versions and formats of our tale -- so you feel like you are getting something cool that feels and is well priced!
Plus, there's tons of other stuff. Check out the Rewards sidebar for more!
We're looking forward to bringing this exciting project to you, our fans!
Right now, we're planning on sending the pdf of the first issue our the Friday before San Diego Comic Con.
In general, yes. We've already accounted for postage in the rewards / incentives, domestically and overseas. In the event that your reward package weighs more than 16 ounces, we ask that you consider pledging a few dollars more.
Unless it says otherwise, it means you get the standard, non-variant, non artist proof, first edition of the book. When you qualify for different editions, we'll list it out specifically.