The invention of dice can be traced back almost 5000 years.
However, the dice you see before you now, retain a much deeper history than that.
Crafted from the world's oldest wood, these dice are carbon dated to be 50,000 years old - 10 times older than the invention of dice themselves!
This is your chance to own a rare artefact of our planet's immense history!
Introducing the most fascinating gaming accessory in the world...
The Wood: Ancient Kauri
Ancient Kauri is the oldest and most exotic wood in the world. Not one tree was cut down to harvest it.
Tsunamis levelled the mighty Kauri forests during the Stone Age, leaving the trees buried just below the surface of the ground and preserved in the water of peat swamps.
The Ancient Kauri wood has neither petrified nor turned to coal. This underground resting place, sealed from the air, became a perfectly balanced cocoon that preserved the giant trees for 50,000 years.
The wood used to craft the Ancient Dice is sourced from the awesome people over at Ancient Wood Ltd. All wood comes with certificates of aunthenticity.
The trees had a girth of 14 metres and a height of 51 metres. The volume of timber is approximately 245 cubic metres which is about 100 times that of the average plantation pine tree!
They lived to be up to 4000 years old. The are second in size only to the giant sequoias of California.
There is a very limited amount of Ancient Kauri on the planet. Making these dice a rare treasure.
These dice shift the barrier between present day, and The Stone Age. To own one is to own a genuine prehistoric artefact; a glowing relic of truly ancient history.
50,000 Years Old
To give some context as to just how old these dice are, here’s some info on how different things were here on Earth, when the trees used to carve these dice fell:
- Population was less than 10000 – humans faced extinction.
- Spoken and written language did not yet exist.
- The Ice Age persisted.
- Humans lived in the Stone Age - coexisting with Neanderthals.
- Europe's population was 0.
- Since the trees fell, the moon has orbited Earth 675,925 times.
Ancient Kauri has lay just below the surface of our world, a lost treasure until only recent times.
The whole time this ancient wood lay in hibernation, our planet changed drastically, and we as a species changed along with it.
Compared to today, the Earth was an alien place.
Still not convinced? Here's a few more things these Ancient Dice outrank in age:
- Every civilisation
- Controlled fire
- Domesticated pets
- Dice faces that are even numbers are depicted using rigid angles, near the corners of their face.
- Dice faces that are odd numbers are depicted using straight lines, on the centre of their face.
- Dice faces five and six incorporate both design principles.
While the design principle is extremely important, in terms of the dice's concept, modern day design tools and machinery permits highly accurate artwork to be created.
Keeping this in mind, I designed the dice with intentional precision, retaining absolute symmetry on every dice face.
- The thin red lines above annotate the equal spacing of 1.5mm between the etching of the angled edge lines, and the edges of the dice itself.
- This exact spacing is also consistent for the distance between the central lines, and the angled edge lines.
- The thin blue lines annotate the equal spacing of 2.65mm between the central lines, and the angled edge lines.
Thanks for reading!
Risks and challenges
The potential risks and challenges this project may face, have been mitigated as much as is possible through several stages of planning.
To ensure that all orders arrive in a timely manner, each stage of production has been outlined with clarity from day one, with each stage broken down into tasks.
• Cut the required quantity of dice from a larger slab of Ancient Kauri.
• Sand and polish each dice to perfection.
• Deliver the dice to be engraved (locally).
• Collect the dice and deliver them to the distribution centre (also local).
• Dice will be packaged and shipped.
- (35 days)