The Campaign is over, but our journey is getting started.
Please join us:
- Over the past 30 years, countless AMERICAN footwear manufacturing jobs have been outsourced to cheaper labor overseas, resulting in a significant decline in the overall quality and durability of boots.
- Mentored by his father, Bill Danner of Danner Boots, QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP was indelibly ingrained in Bill Crary from a young age. Unfortunately, Bill has watched while the defining characteristics of traditional boots, such as quality construction, leather insoles, and leather linings have been degraded or completely eliminated, resulting in disposable boots.
- The PROBLEM is simple: You are currently overpaying for most products you buy at retail. With all of the non-value added costs layered into these products, it is nearly impossible to give consumers what they deserve. As such, we have become accustomed to disposable goods and lowered our expectations accordingly.
- The SOLUTION is Crary Boots: We make boots of unparalleled quality and comfort at our family-owned and operated factory in Portland, OR, USA using the best manufacturing practices, highest quality materials, and generations of boot making know how. Our boots look good, feel amazing, last longer, and perhaps most importantly, we are able to offer them to consumers at the same price they would pay for significantly lower quality boots.
- HOW we plan to do it: By circumventing the antiquated supply chain that large footwear manufacturers are dependent on, we are able to avoid traditional wholesale and retail mark-ups. This allows us to invest in higher quality materials and use skilled American labor to bring boots we can be proud of to market for the same price as the lower quality products currently available. And, with recent advances in e-commerce, we are at a historic moment, when for the first time a small craftsman has the potential to reach consumers worldwide.
- American Made - Made in our family owned and operated factory in Portland, Oregon. We are bringing jobs back to America!
- Enduring - Higher quality materials and skilled labor have a longer lifespan. Not only will our boots stand the test of time, but your feet will be able to endure so much more due to their extreme comfort.
- Green - Designed and built in Portland, OR; not shipped across the globe on tankers burning fossil fuels. We also use vegetable tanned leathers in our boots.
- Value - By cutting out middlemen, we are able to invest significantly more money into materials and labor, for a higher quality boot.
At the age of 13, Bill Crary began working in his father’s boot factory, Danner Boots. For 18 years, Bill worked his way up through the factory, learning every aspect of crafting quality boots through practice and detailed instruction. In 1978, Bill started his own custom boot making business. For the last 38 years, Bill Crary and his family have been hand-crafting custom boots and shoes catered to the individual needs of their clients, including disabled veterans, rock stars, professional athletes, diabetics and anyone with a taste or need for custom footwear. It has been Bill’s lifelong dream to bring this same quality directly to consumers. Now, with the help of his family and business partners, and with support from backers like you, Bill’s dream finally has the opportunity to become a reality.
At Crary Boots, we are dedicated to building the Ultimate American Boot. We start with a promise to never compromise what we have been dedicated to for generations, building quality that stands the test of time and is understood the moment you pull on a pair of Crary Boots.
Premium Materials: A boot’s insole is literally its foundation. When built with quality in mind, a thick leather insole is used. This allows the boot to wear well and have a long life, while giving it the structure needed to be properly re-soled. However, in order to save money, many boot manufacturers use thin paper or fabric insoles. This significantly reduces the cost but undermines the boot’s integrity. At Crary Boots we use leather insoles, increasing lifespan and durability. In addition, we use steel shanks, the best upper leathers money can buy, Vibram outsoles, and true full-grain vegetable tanned leather lining. This all adds up to boots of vastly higher quality than those available elsewhere at this price point. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find this quality in a production boot at any price.
American Made: Portland has evolved into the footwear capitol of the world. However, very few companies actually manufacture here. With your help, we want to change the game and bring manufacturing jobs back to America. Our boots are made by well-paid, skilled craftsman, and we intend on expanding, so the art does not die out. There are very few people left in this country who truly understand how to make boots and shoes. Our goal is to change that.
Durable: Our business model allows us to invest significantly more in materials and labor than comparably priced boots, making Crary boots extremely durable. Our boots are built in our own family-owned and operated factory. We carefully inspect every pair we build to ensure it meets the highest standards.
Green: Because our boots are 100% designed and built in Portland, OR, they are not shipped back and forth across the globe on tankers burning fossil fuels. Additionally, our boots are highly durable and last significantly longer than boots currently available at retail. In fact, honoring the nature of truly sustainable products, Crary boots can be re-soled or even rebuilt.
Highest Value: Due to these factors, when you purchase a pair of Crary Boots, you receive the highest possible value for your money.
Want to see these quality boots become a reality? Choose a reward and pledge your support! But, don’t stop there. Many of you have backed enough projects to know that sharing and exposure is the best and only way to get a crowdfund dream to become a reality. If we don’t reach our goal of $20,000, we will not receive any of the resources our backers pledged and our backers won’t receive any rewards.
Help us spread the word by tagging us @craryboots when you share our project. There is a special surprise for the lucky few who we think shared us the most (let’s just say it involves you and some free gear)!
Your support means the world to us.
Where do your leathers come from? All of our leather is sourced from two world-class tanneries - SB Foot USA and Steads of England.
How many boots are you able to produce? As many as you want! Once the factory is running, we will meet any and all product demands.
What sizes do you offer? Men's Sizes: 7-13, 14, 15 Women's Sizes: 6 -11, 12. We are currently offering our boots in a D width. We hope to offer more width options down the road.
How do I know my size? We run true to standard sizing. If you’re in between sizes, pick the half size down (For example: if you’re between size 9 and 9 ½, choose 9).
What if my shoes don’t fit? Please let us know and we’d be happy to get you the right size.
Do I need to break my boots in? Yes, a little breaking in will be necessary. Nevertheless, your boots should still feel comfortable when you first try them on.
Do you ship international? Yes. We ship to most countries.
Where will you be selling your boots after Kickstarter? On our website, http://www.craryboots.com/
Why is there only one style for women’s boots? We plan on expanding in multiple rad styles for women’s boots following Kickstarter.
When will you make boots for guys with wider feet? Upon the success of our campaign, we hope to extend our width offerings to accommodate a wider foot. For this first round, we are only making a D Width. Wider widths can be accommodated by contacting our custom shoe division at www.craryshoes.com. Direct those emails to firstname.lastname@example.org. Prices will vary.
Why are boots so expensive? We refuse to sacrifice style, affordability, or quality. Because of this, Crary Boots offers multiple, unique styles, using only the highest grade leather available on the market and handcrafts boots from scratch. With qualities such as leather insoles, stainless steel shanks and fully lined interiors (among other attributes), Crary Boots are not disposable. By cutting out middlemen, we bring boots of vastly higher quality to the consumer for prices comparable to foreign-made footwear.
How can I help? Back us! If purchasing a pair of boots doesn’t work for you, you can still be a huge help by submitting a $1 pledge and promote the page. If we get 200 backers the first day we’ll get featured in the popular page, even if all those backers are just $1 dollar pledges. Your support means the world.
Risks and challenges
We have decades of experience with building footwear, manufacturing and distribution. Because of this, we are confident that we will be able to deliver boots in a timely fashion. We have sourced machinery that will allow us to produce our boots in a more efficient manor, but it will take some time to acquire these machines from various parts of the world. We will be sure to update you with the progress.
We have carefully thought through each phase of this process, however, we also acknowledge that every project comes with its own risks, challenges and unknowns. We will communicate with our backers throughout the campaign, making sure they are the first to know if any delays do arise. We will keep everyone up to date on our progress.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (46 days)