Mad Genius: Precision Motion Gaming - Any Console, Any Game
Mad Genius: Precision Motion Gaming - Any Console, Any Game
Using a revolutionary new absolute positioning system, we have designed a motion controller with stunning levels of precision.
Using a revolutionary new absolute positioning system, we have designed a motion controller with stunning levels of precision. Read more
What is it?
The Mad Genius Controller is a split-apart universal gaming controller for use across all consoles and PCs:
- PlayStation / PS2 / PS3 / PS4
- XBOX / XBOX 360 / XBOX One
- Windows PC
The controller uses a revolutionary new location tracking technology. A dedicated motion capture system enables each controller-half to know exactly where it is in the room. It uses this information to add motion play to unmodified consoles and PCs while preserving the use of standard buttons and sticks.
The Mad Genius Controller uses a new patented technology to know where you are down to 1/100th of an inch! Any move you make is accurately tracked. Other "motion" controls that use cameras and accelerometers don't have this accuracy and can't provide this level of motion play.
The Mad Genius Controller is designed to look and feel familiar to gamers. The controller acts as a traditional controller when it's together. When split, it adds high definition motion gaming. All buttons and sticks still work EVEN WHEN MOTION IS ACTIVE. Play with conventional buttons and sticks, motion, or even use both at the same time.
The Mad Genius Controller works out of the box with any title you buy or already own and with any console or PC. It doesn't require modifications to the game software or to the console hardware. It is not a “proof of concept” awaiting the development of new games. It needs no patches to work with existing PC titles. Choose a Game Profile to match your game and add precision motion. It's that simple.
Is it wireless?
We have received several questions about the wires shown in the videos. The wires are there to provide power to the controller and carry traditional button presses back to the console. The controller shipped to backers will be 100% wireless. Wireless communications to a console is easy. We just do not have the space inside the current prototype to house batteries and our custom circuitry. Kickstarter funding will enable us to shrink our custom hardware to a chipset, freeing up the space to accommodate the batteries and the standard wireless modules.
It was important to us to demonstrate the unprecedented accuracy of the NEW technology, which is the absolute positioning system you have seen in the videos.
Why Would I want one?
- You can use it with any game and console, even the ones you already own
- No waiting on special titles to be developed for it
- You can use this ONE controller on all your consoles
- Its Ergonomic. When split apart the controller is much more comfortable than a traditional controller
- It adds 1/100th of an inch precision aiming, pointing and moving to your game
- Use motion for in-game actions such as reload, melee, open doors, pick things up and more
- Your game character can move with you, walking, ducking and sidestepping right along with you
- Program button combinations into an easily remembered motion
- Final Version will be wireless
- Works with head mounted displays
This one device gives you the features of a:
- Standard Controller
- Motion Controller
- Steering Wheel
- Flight Stick
- Mod Enabled Controller
- But takes up the space of a traditional controller!!
Did we say it works with all your existing games???
Oh - And we have AWESOME T-Shirts too!
How does it work?
- A dedicated motion capture system determines the absolute position of each half of the controller in 3D space in a 12ft by 15ft playing area
- Determines acceleration and velocity based on changes in position
- Tracks your motion with 1/100th of an inch (.25mm) accuracy with no drift.
- Use it when standing, moving around or sitting on the couch
No Hardware Modifications Needed
- Plug the Mad Genius Controller into the standard console controller port with provided console adapters
- Works plug and play with head mounted displays like Oculus, as well as desktop PCs
We have compiled a series of short explanation videos on our website that cover how the controller works in more detail. Check out the : Mad Genius Controllers Chapter Videos
The Profile Designer
A "Game Profile" customizes motions to match the game. The Profile Designer allows you to create, edit and share game profiles with the Mad Genius Controller online community. Don't like the motions we designed for your game? Change them. Don't see a design for your game? You can create one and share it.
The Profile Designer can be run locally on your PC / laptop or tablet, or via most browser enabled devices.
Use the Profile Designer to:
- Download Game Profiles from the web community
- Use Game Profiles as they are or change them to make them yours
- Build new profiles from scratch and share with other players via the cloud
- Follow authors of your favorite profiles and rate their profiles
The Mad Genius Controller gives you more than pin point aiming and motion control. Split the controller in half and it morphs into:
- A Steering Wheel
- A Flight Stick and Throttle
- A Bow
- A Horses Reigns
- A Dragon’s Wings
- A Sword and Shield
- And so much more ...
We are a small team and we've taken the project as far as we can part time. The next step is to take the product to production. For that we need your help.
Our goal is to provide a high quality, well tested and durable product to you and that requires time and resources to do it right. The patented tracking technology is a completely new innovation. It takes more resources to deliver something that hasn't been done before. That's why we're here.
Product Timelines - Our Journey So Far
Product Next Steps with Your Support
Will there be a Development Kit?
YES! Development Kits will be available!
Gamer Dev Kit:
Risks and challenges
The Mad Genius Controller uses new technology that has never before been brought to market. We have already overcome the challenges of transforming an idea of motion gaming into a working proof-of-concept design. We are confident that we can take this to the next level.
Mad Genius Controllers has a small capable team but we are by no means alone. We have built relationships with suppliers and manufacturers here in the USA as well as overseas in Hong Kong and Singapore. Their support enabled us to demonstrate at CES 2014 and has given us access to additional technology to make our first consumer prototype even better.
We are confident we have the right team to complete this project but there are always risks to manage:
• The prototype's hardware design will be cleaned up and miniaturized
• New software must be designed, written and tested
• Hardware components must be sourced while controlling costs
• Plastic components must be designed, fabricated and tested for comfort and usability
• The hardware and software responsible for (x,y,z) tracking will be engineered into a single chip
• A system must be set up for final assembly and quality testing of each unit
• A system must be established for Shipping and Receiving
We will update our supporters every step of the way. We will keep you informed of each challenge and how we overcame it. When you take delivery you won't just be among the first to own a Mad Genius Controller. You'll be part of its creation.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)