"If you’ve devoured The Lord of the Rings series and need a new epic fantasy fix, I think Mannethorn’s Key may be exactly what the doctor ordered. There is so much world building and creativity within these pages that you can’t help but soak it all up...this is an impressive offering by Lindley.” - Reader's Favorite
DO YOU LOVE BEING SWEPT AWAY IN A STORY?
A new trilogy, the Key of Life is about to make its debut. Book One, Mannethorn's Key is the first in the series and is already available for ebook pre-order.
This is a professionally-edited, peer-reviewed and endorsed work of epic fantasy fiction. The cover design is complete, the marketing is standing by and the manuscript is about to be sent to more reviewers.
As NASA would say, "we're go for launch."
I want supporters to embrace this book and invite you to read the first 15% preview before making a pledge. I believe strongly in your satisfaction, so that when you see your name in the acknowledgments, you are proud to have supported it.
Unfortunately, some traditional publishers are less apt to back new-authors' books, especially when they are well over 80,000 words.Trends in genres have shifted, leaving many new epic fantasies 'off the shelf'. It's understandable; it's a big risk to produce the expensive +500-page hard copies of yet unknown authors, especially with a limitless supply of competing titles online. It's tough for any new epic fantasy writer to get traditionally published, never mind noticed. Even then, an author's chances are slim. Over 90% of publisher/agent-backed books fail after publication.
But the magical realm of social media has cast its power over such odds. For the first time, thanks to platforms like Smashwords new authors have an opportunity to find equal footing, although limited by the reality that every piece of marketing and sales is left up to them.
And that's where you come in:
I NEED AN ARMY OF WIZARDS!
On January 5th, 2018, Mannethorn's Key, Book One in the Key of Life trilogy will be released. I need as many pre-orders as possible to place my book among the new-release bestsellers, giving my epic fantasy a fighting chance on the field of battle. Pre-orders are already doing well, but this a David vs. Goliath story. I need a little magic.
It takes marketing and positioning, resources and campaigns - and that requires money, just enough to pay for the costs and getting to launch day. It's been a long road to get to this point (please click on my name at the top for a full bio). All the journey needs now is a little boost from you.
I seek an army of social-media magicians to deliver the fabled Key of Life for me, to help me with marketing and getting reviews ($10 is all I ask as a minimum), and to consider offering to share a pre-order call-to-action through a Thunderclap sharing campaign (not required), letting the world know that a new epic fantasy has arrived! This is a critical part of the campaign, but again not required to receive your benefits of reward.
Of course, to ask for such support, a wizard must believe in the quest. I therefore invite you to visit Smashwords and download the free 15% ebook sample. Once the spell has been cast and you see that this is a worthy epic fantasy, sign up as a wizard and let the fans of fantasy gather!
Where will pledges be spent?
In my view, you also have a right to know where every penny of support is going, so you can see what it takes to get a good book 'out there'.
1) Reach - Facebook and Google ads currently have a combined budget of $350. I know. Pretty small. I would like to change that. If support exceeds the $500 mark a large amount of the funds will be directed here. I would like to double this amount, exclusively focused on driving pre-orders. KICKSTARTER GOAL: $750
2) Book cover, 3D cover, back cover and internal formatting - this is all complete and requires no further funding at this time.
3) Website - I bumped my Wordpress account to business so that I could access premium features and themes. The website is still under construction to some degree but it is live and generating good traffic (stop by and visit!). However, taking the site to the next level would require a site designer to step in and make minor improvements (to-date. I've done it all on my own to keep costs down). Additional cost: $250-500
KICKSTARTER GOAL: $1,000
4) Illustrations - This is one I hope to fund. Images are powerful. I have an amazing designer who specializes in fantasy fiction. If we can hit the $1,250 mark, we can add a unique and high-quality book scene to the website, the book sites and all social media.
KICKSTARTER GOAL: $1,250
5) Reviews - This one might come as a shock to you, but many of the top reviews are paid for. Take Kirkus for example. To get the simplest of reviews of your manuscript, get ready to shell out $425 minimum. Don't believe me? Click here. They are unbiased, of course. You are paying to have a third-party independently review your work. You may easily get a one-out-of-five stars back, and then you just don't use it and kiss the funds goodbye. If it bombs they won't make it public. However, if it bombs, the author might want to revisit their book! I believe that Mannethorn's Key has benefited from some strong internal industry reviews already, great beta readers and useful input from top editors. If the Wizard's Army shows up in force to drive this epic home, this author will submit the work for a full Kirkus review. Any literary work that achieves four stars or better from such a recognized reviewer is granted new powers of attraction, even better than yelling "Galantra Fatatla" and spinning around three times!
KICKSTARTER GOAL: $1,750
The rewards are grand (look to the right), the quest is great and the cause noble! Thank you, wizards!
Risks and challenges
The greatest risk facing new authors is getting their work 'out there'. Last year, over 1,050,000 books were published in the US alone, and a large percentage of them never sold more than a few copies. Tens of millions more were rejected, many because they were bad, but many more simply due to volume, or an agent not believing the book would sell millions.
With self publishing, vanity books and poorly edited manuscripts make the book realm even cloudier. However, ebooks and indie publishing is not only here to stay, it's flourishing. Some top-selling works started out as indie publications. Many of the bestsellers' lists today include at least one indie author on a regular basis (ever heard of John Grisham, James Redfield, or Fifty Shades of Grey's Erika Leonard?).
However, a book should make it on its own merit. It should be worth reading. I have had Mannethorn's Key professionally edited and peer-reviewed by some of the best, and I am confident that readers will embrace it - but only if they know it's 'out there'. I need your help in ensuring that it has that opportunity.
- (34 days)