About this project
Feel like you’re more creative than your mouse lets you be? Doodle Defense is a tower defense game that explores drawing as a means for game interaction and play.
Your battlefield: a white board.
Your enemies: Invaders, projected onto it.
Your weapon: a regular old dry erase marker and your own cleverness.
Prevent the Invaders from crossing the screen, while balancing your ink stores, by drawing different colored towers (with different abilities) and mazes.
UPDATE (26 Days to go): We're half way there!
After just a few days, Doodle Defnse broke the 50% mark thanks to all the awesome people who got involved. And check out the growing list of cool folks writing about Doodle Defense: IndieGames.com, Engadget, PC World, TechCrunch, Ubergizmo, Geek.com, Games.Parsons, Tested.com
Thank you guys so much! I can't wait see what the next few weeks have in store.
But How Does It Work (via images)?
The Tech Part:Doodle Defense was initially developed for a class in algorithmic animation at Parsons’ MFA in Design and Technology. I wrote the game in openFrameworks, which handles the gameplay and the processing of player’s drawings. Currently, the game uses the Kinect to capture the board image.
The project is completely open source, and can be gotten from https://github.com/andymasteroffish/DoodleDefense
Although Doodle Defense has mostly been played at Parsons, I don’t want it to stop there. I would like to make Doodle Defense into an installation piece that could be submitted to and shown at innovative tech and game places like IndieCade, The IGF and Babycastles, as well as played at home. If I get the resources, I’m going to go a step further and develop an iPad version, to make it more accessible still.
The funding I receive will go toward getting artists and sound designers to create the assets needed to have a fully polished final product with a fun and engaging atmosphere. It will also allow me to take the time to tighten up the mechanics and make challenging levels and cleverer foes. Most importantly, it will allow me to develop a version for the iPad.
WHAT YOU GET IF YOU GIVE ME MONEY (THANK YOU):
- GIVE ANYTHING: A thank-you email from me accompanied by a GIF from my extensive library of ridiculous internet photos. You’ll also get copy of the game in its current incarnation (requires Mac, projector, Kinect, and whiteboard).
- GIVE $5: You are awesome and everyone should know it! You get all the benefits above, as well as getting your name on a thank-you page in the game.
- GIVE $20: Hooray for you! You get everything above, as well as a version of the game that can be played by drawing with your mouse or stylus, to get you ready for when Doodle Defense is available near you (or your iPad). Currently only for Mac; Windows version is in the works.
- GIVE $40: The perfect prize for the early adopter! You get to be the first on your block to try out the iPad version of the game. Backers at this level will get to be part of the testing process, receiving the app as soon as it begins and being able to play with it through every step of development, letting me know what works and what doesn't.
-GIVE $50: The perks in $5, $20 & $40, and you get to put your own stamp on a wave of enemies in the game by getting to write the text that accompanies the wave.
- GIVE $70: You are helping create this, so you get to decide how to destroy the rest of us! You get all the perks in $5, $20 & $40, as well as the ability to design a wave of enemies for the game. You will be able to decide which enemies are in the wave, how many there are, and how strong they are. You also get to write the hint text that appears with the wave. Use it to credit yourself, give a shout out, or tell a joke. Anything you can dream!
- GIVE $100: You’re a patron of the arts, so someone should appreciate your art! You get the benefits seen in $5, $20 & $40, but also get a version of the game with your own art in it. Send me the images you’d like to use for the background and the foes (historical battlefields, your enemies, fingerpaintings), and I’ll create a personal copy for you to play. This includes both the mouse and the projected version.
- GIVE $200: You are even more hardcore than the guy who gave $70, so you get to design something even more hardcore(er)(er). You get the perks seen in $5, $20 & $40 and will also get to work closely with me to develop an enemy of your choosing. This includes giving your input on the art direction, stats, and abilities of that enemy.
- GIVE $300: You’re the best around, and hopefully that means you’re around NYC. You get the perks in $5, $20 & $40, as well as a personal screening of Doodle Defense at your home, event, or awesome place of work. I will bring all the equipment--all I need from you is some dark space and your donation to make this happen. Get in touch and we’ll talk about scheduling. It is up to you if you’d like to have me run the current version or wait for the full thing. You do need to be in NYC for this one.Thanks and have fun!
Support this project
- (30 days)