Adopt-A-Farmbox designs and builds 'farmboxes' for schools and community organizations in NYC to promote urban agriculture & environmental stewardship
Adopt-A-Farmbox is a non-for-profit initiative that fosters urban agriculture, community building, and environmental stewardship by designing and building farmboxes made from 100% recycled wood for schools and community organizations throughout the New York City area. Our services include providing organic soil, organic vegetables and fruit seeds donated, gardening education; and cooking/nutrition workshops and resource guidance. The farmboxes provide our partnering institutions with fertile ground for food production, education, environmental awareness, personal growth, and community engagement.
Our goal is to support families and communities in breaking the cycles of diabetes and obesity by exposing them to healthier food options and engaging them in the process from seed to fork. Adopt-A-Farmbox creates a sense of pride and ownership while de-mystifying the concept of healthy, wholesome food. Research proves that practical experience with food including cultivation, harvesting, and cooking positively influences dietary practice. By facilitating urban agriculture throughout the New York City area, Adopt-A-Farmbox will help promote nutritional health, personal wellness, urban greening, and an engaged and active citizenry. Growing fruits and vegetables in urban spaces contributes to healthy communities by engaging residents in work and pleasure that improves their well being.
This fall season, Adopt-A-Farmbox is partnering with the following New York City Schools in incorporating urban agriculture into their students' educational experience:
P.S. 347 The American Sign Language and English Lower School
The Greene-Hill School
P.S. 11 Purvis J. Behan Elementary School
P.S. 307 Daniel Hale Williams Elementary School
Brooklyn Brownstone School
Children’s Workshop School
We provide the following services to ensure successful and sustainable farming projects among within our partnering organizations:
• Design and construction of 100% recycled farmboxes to uniquely fit the spaces available at each site
• Provision of organic soil and seeds to accompany the farmboxes
• Consultant services by an organic farmer throughout the growing season
• Onsite project co-coordinator to assist throughout the growing season
• Guidelines for schools to help teachers incorporate the farming projects into their classroom curriculum
• Eight hours nutrition and health education workshops in schools for school faculty
• Four hours nutrition and cooking workshops in schools for students
• Four hours nutrition/health and cooking workshops for members of community organizations/businesses
Adopt-A-Farmbox is currently a 100% volunteer-run organization and the funds raised through KICKSTARTER help to offset the costs of the reclaimed wood and other recycled materials we use to construct the Farmboxes for all of the schools listed above. We look forward to your participation! To find out more, check us out at www.farmboxes.org
Thank you so much for visiting our page. We appreciate your support. Together we can Grow Something!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.