Alienus Tempus - aka Strange Times: A Memoir
Alienus Tempus - aka Strange Times: A Memoir
Alienus Tempus is a memoir about absurdity, irrationality, chaos, and how to accept both the reality and the impermanence of those.
Alienus Tempus is a memoir about absurdity, irrationality, chaos, and how to accept both the reality and the impermanence of those. Read more
About this project
Greetings fellow Kickstarters and visitors,
I am more than half finished with my memoir, tentatively titled "Alienus Tempus". Alienus Tempus is latin for "Strange Times", and is indeed applicable to my life, especially the latter half. It begins with a series of synchronous events (events that seem to have some purpose behind them; not coincidental) that led me to the life and works of science fiction writer, Philip K Dick. My life would be forever changed that day (6-23-2002).
Even more synchronous events, multiple deja vu accounts at key times, and other nearly impossible to believe situations would occur. They ultimately lead back to two mystical or anomalous experiences I had at the age of 12 and 15. My life since then has been akin to actually living in one of Phil's surrealist scifi novels. As if these absurd events weren't enough, I suffer from Depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and lesser known Depersonalization Disorder.
I will examine existential issues and other philosophical topics such as free will, knowledge, identity, ontology and many more in an attempt at putting together all the pieces and searching for the meaning I need to derive from it. I realize that I may never get to the bottom of it, but it is the search, especially the internal search that has been revealing. I would be working on my fiction right now (I do have several short stories and a novella written, but not published) especially the autobiographical novel I was working on, but I seem to be led in the direction of memoir. This is simply something I must do... it is the Tao, for me.
I know this is cliche, but I tell you for what it's worth: My life is stranger than fiction, even science fiction. The events that I will portray to you did indeed happen, and can be backed up by multiple sources. However, I don't expect everyone to have the same interpretation as I do, and that's okay. I do believe many readers will be left scratching their heads, wondering just what is reality, anyway.
You can preview some of these experiences in an unpolished, diary-like fashion on my blog Impermanent Insanity. Just look to the top right for the PKD related posts. Please note that not all the experiences and events are on this blog, but will be included in the memoir. They are rough and unedited (I don't like changing something once it has been posted).
You can also view my personal writing blog (not intended to be professional by any means) at Impermanent Insanity Writes.
About the Funds
Any amount you could give to help me accomplish this goal would be eternally appreciated.
Please remember: Kickstarter and Amazon combined require 8-10% of the funds for processing.
If the project is funded I will use those funds for the following:
- Self Publication using CreateSpace from Amazon.com (a nice package that includes editing, cover art, promotion, etc.). I may shop locally for an editor and cover artist, however.
- Shipping and handling of and orders of the copies of books to give to you, the backers of this project
- Approximately 100 copies to sell at local bookstores
- Promotion of book
- The time necessary to work on the project
- Traveling expenses. I will need to make a trip or two across a few states to review copies of therapy records, etc. for factual details, and to take pictures of key places where some of these "events" occurred.
- Other incidental expenses tied to the creation of this memoir, even before it reaches the editors.
- I currently live in a one room efficiency apartment, so I would like to get out to the bookstore or coffee shops to work. These places are anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour away. I would like to be able to do this 2-4 times a week.
- Pennwriters (of which I am a member) offers critique groups. The nearest one to me is about 40 minutes and meets once a month. Funds would help me get there and receive valuable advice on my work. In March there will be a weekly "mindful writers" meeting in the same location. I started "mindful writers" this year but had to stop because I couldn't afford to make it to them. It would be productive to be able to go next year when it restarts.
- And for the high end backers, I'll use some of the proceeds for traveling to their destinations.
- I plan on this project being very interactive with my backers, so I would like to also purchase an inexpensive camcorder with hard drive to be able to record some of the places where these events unfolded as well as video and interviews of me while I work, and goof around (I do have a lighter side!)
- I also have more rewards planned, but I need to do more research. Stay tuned!
- I've been on disability for the last year due to depression and "pure O" form of OCD. That being said, I am much better than I was, and will see this project to it's completion. The extra funds will go to the project and will not be used for personal gain.
*** If I don't meet the goal then you will not be charged. It's an All-or-nothing deal.
- Thank you for visiting my project page. I hope to be sending you copies of my memoir and other items soon.
Support this project
- (54 days)