The Iron Brick Safe is your Portable On-The-Go Laptop Safe. Secure tech stuff & valuables in your home, office, dorm or even on the Go! Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on .
About this project
The concept for the Iron Brick Safe first arose through my efforts with DormCo.com. DormCo is a small - yet growing - online superstore for college dorm supplies. Selling everything a student needs for dorm life isn't easy, as the wide range of high-quality products students require at inexpensive prices could make any entrepreneur go crazy ... but to me, it’s a fun challenge.
The Iron Brick Safe (a portable, on-the-go laptop safe) journey started about two years ago, when the need for a durable, secure and portable laptop safe was made apparent by our customers. More and more college students were heading to college with laptops and their vulnerable dorm rooms screamed, "Opportunity theft!" for those looking to make a quick buck. The market didn’t have a quality, affordable laptop safe option that was also portable for the on-the-go college lifestyle, so I set out to invent such a product.
What occurred over the development stage wasn't just remarkable in how the Iron Brick Safe took shape, but it was also informative as to how much broader the Iron Brick Safe's scope and interest actually was! The need for a portable and effective laptop safe didn’t just make it a must-have college product, but it became a no-brainer for anyone with a laptop. And it doesn't stop at laptops, as we learned the safe is also great for tablets, eReaders, jewelry, passports, money, diaries, medication, or anything else that someone needs locked up, portable and secure.
Our video, which I hope you find more funny than painful - due to poor acting by yours truly - shows all the everyday places that you’ll need laptop security. Some of these places include:
·Your Home / Apartment - Locking and tethering the Iron Brick Safe's cable around your desk gives you security knowing that most thieves lack the time to mess with the Iron Brick Safe. With limited time, home thefts are usually about smash and grab opportunity, and stolen items are typically easily accessible. A laptop left alone on a desk would surely be gone, but the Iron Brick Safe prevents such an opportunity.
·College Dorms - When students move into college for the first time, it’s exciting, fun and often everyone is in the same boat; no one knows each other. This is great for making friends, but it’s also a time of great vulnerability. Dorm rooms are often left unlocked or a student's new roommate has people in and out whom they hardly know. Heck, when I was a freshman in college 15 years ago, there was a local guy who pretended he was a freshman. We all nicknamed him FLJ (Free Loading Jason). He had a great story as to why his dorm room 'wasn’t ready yet', and with all of us being foolish freshmen, we believed his story—until everyone's valuables went missing, and so did FLJ! This extreme story, along with the basic realities of dorm life, makes a student's laptop, along with other valuables, at risk. Keeping your tech stuff locked up with the Iron Brick Safe is imperative. Beyond the need for room security, students are often on the go and working from their laptops in a variety of places that, at times, require keeping their laptops secure while they’re out of sight.
·Public Places - Think of all the places you take your laptop. The two most common places are the coffee shop or, for students, the library. And what happens when you go to the bathroom? Get up to get a drink or take a walk? In these cases you either have to pack up your laptop, leave it on the table or ask a stranger to watch it. All of these options are less than desirable, but with the sleek design of the Iron Brick Safe, you can comfortably protect your laptop while on the go.
·Kids / Pets - I happen to have four kids (ages 1, 2, 3 and 4) ... yep, not a typo. They're great, but when it comes to touching Daddy's laptop, that's for Kickstarter filming only. By always having to put my laptop high and out of reach, or by expecting a toddler to listen to my instructions 'not to touch', I've found the Iron Brick Safe is the perfect solution for keeping my laptop accessible, yet safe from unwanted use. Now, I wish I had only had this product five years ago when my wild dog (Bella) jumped on my desk, causing my laptop to crash to the ground. Knowing the unpredictability of kids, dogs and cats, the Iron Brick Safe becomes a useful and effective barrier to all three of these laptop threats.
·Your Car - A show of hands ... who has left their laptop in their car? OK, you may all put your hands down. It's common … but it’s probably not the most secure decision. Whether you go to happy hour after work or head to the gym, chances are your laptop is left in your car and at risk of theft should your car be broken into. Prevent the worry and add a major deterrent with the Iron Brick Safe.
·Office - Although the video jokes about selfies going viral, you just never know whose snooping eyes will catch a glimpse of your laptop and be tempted to open it. Your computer may be password protected, but an added layer of security doesn't hurt, and the Iron Brick Safe provides just that. The idea of keeping your laptop fully secure and enclosed will create positive peace of mind.
How does the Iron Brick Safe work?
Although the engineered functionality of the Iron Brick Safe is patent pending, the overall ease of use is quite simple. Place your laptop or other valuable items in the safe, wrap the tethering cable around an immovable object and secure the cable head slots back in the safe. Your laptop is now ready to secure by closing the safe, inserting the key and locking. The patent-pending locking mechanism forms a triple lock to more readily prevent against prying thieves. There is hardened criminal theft and then there is everyday theft by those that see an easy opportunity and TAKE IT! The bulk of personal laptops and other accessories are stolen due to allowing others an easy opportunity. The Iron Brick Safe is designed to prevent, stop, slow down and deter opportunity theft.
What makes the Iron Brick... Iron Brick?
- Triple Locking Mechanism (Patent-pending functionality) - Structurally gives the safe a stronger, more tamper-resisting design by providing a lock not just in the center, but on the outer ends as well.
- Tamper-Proof Rear Hinge - Most standard hinges have a pin that can be pushed out as the pin is exposed on both sides, but the Iron Brick Safe has hidden hinge pins to further prevent tampering and break ins.
- Steel Security Cable (5.9 FT) - Strong cable that can certainly not be cut with scissors or a knife, giving you the tethered security you need as you leave your Iron Brick Safe in an unmonitored, stationary location.
- Interior Foam Padding (5mm thick) - The safe's interior padding ensures that should your Iron Brick Safe fall or be dropped, your laptop will be supported and less prone to damage. The foam padding also serves to give your laptop a more snug hold, which prevents shifting and possible scratches while transporting your safe to and from different locations.
- Key Entry (2 included) - Each Iron Brick Safe is equipped with two keys. (Don't worry. Your fellow Kickstarter investors won't have the same keys as you.) Keeping one key on your keychain and the other in a hidden, secure spot for back-up is our best recommendation.
- Additional Ribbing for Structure & Shatter-Resistant Support - The footage in the video is 100% real. Even after taking a hammer to the safe at full speed, I couldn't shatter the Iron Brick's structure. Further, making sure I'm not “weak,” I had a few other DormCo.com guys try their hardest to make the plastic safe shatter, and they failed miserably too. I know even rugged plastic doesn't typically provide initial confidence, but the truth of the matter is that the Iron Brick Safe's strength is rigorously tested and will give you the confidence and trust you need. (watch video below!.... Just don't actually bake your Iron Brick Safe in the Oven... not recommended. Feel free though to smash it with a hammer as it won't break!)
- Rubber Bottom Stoppers - On the bottom of the Iron Brick Safe are four rubber stoppers (one in each corner). This small feature is quite essential for preventing the Iron Brick Safe from shifting on your desk or set location. Without the grippers, the safe would slide around, potentially falling off your desk to the ground, but with the grippers, your safe is “stuck” in a secure location and free of concern.
- Lightweight & ease of Portability - Weighing only 2.4 lbs, the Iron Brick Safe is easy to go wherever you go. Fitting it in your backpack or laptop messenger bag is critical for convenient use, and the Iron Brick Safe provides a user-friendly experience for daily or occasional use.
- Sized to hold ALL laptops that are 15" or Less (Dimensions: 15.6" x 11.3" x 2.23"D) - When determining the right size to make the Iron Brick Safe, we did lots of research to figure out the best or most useful size. We found that 15" and 13" Laptop sizes were the most popular and fewer and fewer consumers were buying 17" sized laptops (some manufacturers were even phasing out the 17" size, as it is considered too big and clunky to be usefully portable). Next, we tested all makes and models of laptops sized at the 15" mark. To our surprise, the greatest variance in each manufactured brand was the thickness, as the length and width varied only slightly. The Iron Brick Safe was then built to hold the largest width, length and, most importantly, the thickest version of a 15" laptop on the market. We personally guarantee your laptop that’s 15” or under will securely fit in our Iron Brick Safe or your money back!
- What else can the Iron Brick Safe Hold? - eReaders, Tablets, Jewelry, Cash, Passports, Cell Phones, Medication and any other small valuable that can fit.
How far have we come?
Bringing the Iron Brick Safe to market has seemed like a long journey, but each step of the way has turned out to be an impactful and purposeful experience.
As discussed, it was discovering the product's need that first catapulted the idea of the Iron Brick Safe to the forefront. I like to call this the “dream sequence” ... this is where it is not uncommon for me to not be able to sleep at night as I dream up the next big idea. The problem is, 99% of the next big ideas never come to fruition, and I'm left fatigued and need to be hyped up on energy drinks the next day just to stay awake!
This idea, however, had legs. As I took visions of how the safe would look and how it would operate I saw it coming together ... but not so fast. First, I needed to have the concept engineered. To save cost I did this in a rough format, as I initially needed to know the cost of the safe's tooling mold and rough cost per unit. Knowing the costs would tell me two things: First, can I bring the Iron Brick Safe to market at a cost where consumers would see value in purchasing the safe? And second, can I afford the upfront costs to bring the safe to market before I sell any units?
What I discovered was that the Iron Brick Safe could be produced at a cost that made good business sense and solved a need for customers, but I also learned that the initial tooling costs were prohibitive. As DormCo.com saw success in the peak summer months of 2013, I was finally able to afford the tooling costs and other associated fees, including the all-important fees associated with making the Iron Brick Safe patent pending.
I wish I could say it was as easy as making payments and hitting the “Go Button,” but it wasn't. I spent countless hours perfecting the safe's structure, locking mechanism and overall look. I've also diligently developed the logo, packaging and other elements necessary to create what you now see as a finished Iron Brick Safe that's ready to produce.
And that's where the item stands. Production costs are unfortunately high, and, understandably, I can't produce a few units at a time, as the cost per unit would then price the product too high. To launch this product correctly, I need to, at minimum, order 1000 units, but more realistically, I hope to order much more to further drive costs down and lower the retail price. As it stands now, if the Kickstarter goal is met, the Iron Brick Safe will launch into production and be able to retail for under $70.00. My bigger, more hopeful goal is to gain enough Kickstarter support to be able to launch the Iron Brick Safe under $60, or even at $50 if at all possible.
As you consider investing in the Iron Brick Safe project, I thank you for your time and backing consideration. Long live those with an inventive and creative mind and those who support their endeavors! Thank you!
Risks and challenges
The good news is that 98% of the risks and challenges of getting the Iron Brick Safe to completion have already been overcome, from the high tooling cost to the belabored back-and-forth of the design, features, security and every other nuance that took the Iron Brick Safe from idea to physical product. The last phase is production, and with high minimum-production-run costs, the last challenge is earning the trust from those around us to help get the project funded through Kickstarter.
Once funded, the Iron Brick Safe can produce within 30 days and will take another 30 days to ship (from China). Since I know the factory well and have produced my first invention with it over 10 years ago, I'm confident in the factory’s quality and timely professionalism to construct the Iron Brick Safe to the high standards that have been set in the design and development phase. I am confident the Iron Brick Safe can ship by summer 2014 (mid-July).
Product Fulfillment Timeline Goal:
1. Launch project campaign in early April 2014
2. Funding secured by early May (30-day project)
3. Iron Brick Safe production to begin by mid-May
4. Production finishes within 30 days (by mid-June)
5. Shipping from our China factory to our warehouse takes 30 days
6. Iron Brick Safe reaches our warehouse by mid-July
7. Campaign goals/promises are met as the first Iron Brick Safes begin shipping to backers immediately upon receipt (mid-July)
Important note: This is an aggressive timeline, but it is essential that we meet this timeline because one of the key demographics for the Iron Brick Safe, college students, will need the product prior to heading off to school in late August. The comforting news for our backers is that we have already discussed the timeline goals with our factory, and they are fully prepared to meet our production deadlines should the Iron Brick Safe project achieve its funding goal.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $10 or more
We'll send you a postcard updating you on how your support helped launch the Iron Brick Safe, as well as post your name on our wall of support (to be located on DormCo.com).Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $20 or more
Thanks for the support! We'll send you an Iron Brick Safe logo drink coaster (the logo can be seen on the top of each safe). This flexible, rubber-like logo makes for a unique, conversation-starting coaster. Includes shipping if in the US. However, international shipping will have an additional $20 cost.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $50 or more
Thanks for being a supporter. You get one of The Iron Brick Safe and any updates we make from here on. Includes shipping in the US. However, international shipping will have an additional $50 cost. (Expected Retail: $64.99 + Shipping)Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $500 or more
0 backers Limited (100 left of 100)
Thank you for your generous support. For the first 5,000 Iron Brick Safe units produced, we'll affix a sticker label to the outside of each Iron Brick Safe Packaging personally thanking you by name for your support. We'll of course also send you one of these Iron Brick Safe units that includes the acknowledging-sticker packaging. Includes shipping in the US. However, international shipping will have an additional $50 cost. (Expected Retail: $64.99 + Shipping)Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (75 left of 75)
You're too kind! You get your own customized exterior color of your choice for the Iron Brick Safe. Because production runs typically take a larger set volume per color, the only color the Iron Brick Safe will be available in is dark gray. But let's just say you LOVE pink, purple, bronze, aqua ... you name the solid color, we'll have it custom produced for you. This includes free shipping both within the US and internationally.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $2,000 or more
0 backers Limited (25 left of 25)
Wow! Thank you! Your Iron Brick Safe will be even more customized! 1. Custom outer color 2. Custom logo (Iron Brick Safe top logo removed for your name, company logo or image of choice) This includes free shipping both within the US and internationally.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $5,000 or more
0 backers Limited (5 left of 5)
FACILITY TOUR - A tour of our Buffalo, NY, DormCo.com facility, while attending a session on 'New Product Ideas/Inventions,' followed by dinner with DormCo's founder. Your generosity and interest are greatly appreciated. Thank you.Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
- (30 days)