I am making the course that I wish I had when I was trying to learn iOS development. I feel like I have a unique perspective to teach this class because I've been the n00b that can't understand the tutorials or blog posts.
Featured in the news
What will be covered in the class?
I will walk you through everything you need to start making apps. Getting Xcode (the program we use to make apps) setup and on your machine, making a developer account with Apple, and running the iPhone and iPad simulator on your mac.
I firmly believe that the best way to learn is by doing. This class will focus on making apps. We will make a series of apps that teach you different skills. Here is an overview of the apps we'll be making.
An app that...
- ...connects with Facebook and Twitter
- ...uses the front and rear cameras on iOS devices
- ...records audio with the microphone
- ...uses GPS information
- ...connects with PARSE to make a social network
Once each of these apps are built, I will tell you everything you need to know to submit these apps to the App Store. This could be a whole class in and of itself!
I have been blown away by the support for this class. I would love to cover more topics in the class so that you can use them in your apps. Here are the stretch goals for the project.
- FUNDED! $30k - In-App Purchases. Make money from the apps you are going to make!
- FUNDED! $45k - Flappy Bird Clone. Learn how to make games as we walk through making a Flappy Bird clone.
- $61k - Bluetooth. Learn how to use Bluetooth in your app so it can talk with bluetooth enabled devices.
What makes you a good teacher?
- I have 8 apps in the App Store that I built from scratch
- I have been doing iOS development for 3+ years
- When I was first learning iOS development, I was often confused by wordy blog posts and tutorials. I will never talk over your head
- I created the first Swift class on Udemy which has been a huge success
Who is this class for?
- People who want to make apps. I will not be teaching Computer Science principles and topics. I will be teaching you how to make apps that you can play with and share with friends, family, and the world!
- Beginners. You don't need any programming experience to take this class. I have been the absolute beginner before and I want to help you.
- Entrepreneurs who have an idea for an app. Don't pay somebody thousands to build your app. Do it yourself. Having the ability to create something you can think of is extremely powerful.
Do I have to attend class at a certain time?
No! You can watch the lectures whenever you want. You can watch the videos as many times as you want. This class will be taught on the Udemy platform.
Who are you?
I'm Rick Walter, an iOS developer that has been focused on mobile app design and creation for over 3 years. My involvement in the iOS community started off with a bang, and in 2013 I was one of 25 students worldwide to be invited to Apple's "Cocoa Camp." Within my community, I am also co-president of an Apple developer group called "Cocoa Heads."
I've always had an itch to make things, but growing up in a small town I had limited access to programming resources. This frustration drove my early interest in online education. After experimenting with various companies, learning styles, and teaching processes, I've adopted the best strategies and used them in my courses. My experience as an online student has directly influenced my teaching style, and I am now proud to help students all over the world with their online learning goals.
Since the announcement of the new Swift programming language by Apple, I have buried myself in the Apple documentation and any online resource that is available. In my first Swift course, I provide students with a detailed explanation of the topics and skills needed to learn Swift, an overview of the basic features of the new language, and get you started to begin building your first products.
Prior to teaching the internet's first course on Swift, I have created 8 iOS apps from scratch that are currently live in the App Store and being used by thousands of users worldwide. Using my experience launching my own apps, I'll walk you through the shortcuts that can save you time and frustration from having to teach yourself.This course will teach you everything you need to know, to make iOS apps for both the iPhone and the iPad.
Risks and challenges
The biggest challenge will be getting the content to you ask quickly as possible. The class is going to be an evolving class so whenever new content is made it will be added to the class. This way you will have access to the class as soon as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)