A HUGE THANK YOU to over 650 backers who voted for independent productions and science in sci-fi. To follow our production and watch the series when it comes out this winter, follow us on our Facebook page. #SpaceIsHard, and so is filming sci-fi, but fans like you make it all worth it.
An independent web series featuring TV and sci-fi stars Michelle Morgan (Heartland), Tahmoh Penikett (Battlestar Galactica), Kristian Bruun (Orphan Black) and Jonathan Whittaker (The Expanse).
The world watches with wonder and fear as the first astronauts are sent into deep space, farther than anyone has gone before. Their mission, to explore microbial life beneath the icy surface of a planet orbiting Tau Ceti. But when a mysterious accident cuts them off from home, they’re left stranded and struggling to survive. And there’s an even greater threat – They’re not alone. With a fanatical adherence to hard science, Deep Six is a unique, terrifying and exciting new spin on science fiction web series.
We completed filming Deep Six in March of 2017. We're in the middle of post production. Our next steps are visual effects, music composition, and sound design. Probably not a surprise, but post production is extremely important in science fiction projects. We have an amazing cast, engaging performances, and a gripping story - now it's time to hit a home run in post production! Our campaign is to assist with those costs.
We expect to be finished the series this fall, and you will be the first to see it!
We are in post production. That means that as you read this, we are creating the planets and ships that will make up the space scenes. It means we are composing the music that will add tension or pluck your heart strings. It means we are adding color treatments, sounds and voice over work to the footage we filmed. It's complicated and time consuming. We'd love to be able to pay people for their post work and keep raising the bar higher! This is the primary benefit we receive from the campaign.
SCIENCE MATTERS! When it comes to the dangers of space, nothing is more terrifying than reality. Like Arrival, Interstellar, Gravity, The Martian, and Apollo 13, DEEP SIX puts the science back into science fiction. Series co-creator Davin has degrees in mathematics and engineering physics and worked on satellites when he was in university. RULE ONE was to ground this project in the latest scientific data and space discoveries with consultation from our scientific advisors, lead by renown astrophysicist, Dr. Jamie Matthews. For increasingly sophisticated fans, DEEP SIX revels in the complexity of real-world constraints.
Davin is a science nerd with degrees in math and engineering physics. He co-produced the internet phenomenon, Pure Pwnage, and co-created the Screen Award winning web series, Space Janitors. He ran the crowdfunding campaign that raised 2.2mil for sci-fi movie Code 8. Mika is the character nerd. She is an award-winning writer and actor, has written for the Netflix series Travelers, numerous award-winning short film and web series, has a lead role in Deep Six, and is a graduate of the prestigious CFC TV Writing Residency. Together, they have created a series with deep and diverse characters, a gripping story, and a rare connection with real science.
- When will the rewards become available / be shipped? Each Perk has an Estimated Delivery month listed in description. You will be notified of any delays.Any item with spoilers such as episode downloads or scripts will be sent out on, or shortly after, the day the movie is released. Digital deliveries will be sent out as an email after the end of the campaign as downloadable links.
- What name will be used for the credits? We hope to use your real name, and we will ask you for your real name as part of the post-campaign survey. We may ask for a copy of proof of your identity and name. If you want to put someone else’s name in the credits (a friend or family member), you will be able to submit their name in the survey.
- How do I give you my details and preferences (like shirt size)? Once the project has ended, we will email you a survey to ask for all the info we need to make sure you get your perk. That’s when you can give us details like shipping address, and your preferences. We expect to get the survey out to you immediately following the end of the campaign.
- What if my address changes? If you move before the perks are shipped out, get in touch with us via your account as soon as you can and we'll do our best to accommodate the change.
- Can I change my perk? If you decide you’d like to change or upgrade your perk to another one, get in touch with us via the campaign and we’ll see if we can help you out.
- What if I want to pledge/make a contribution for a friend or family member? You make your pledge or contribution out to anyone you want! At the end of the campaign we will send out a survey to collect the information we need to fulfill your perks. In that survey you will be able to specify a name and address for the perks to be made out to.
- You spelled something wrong / had the wrong link / made a mistake on detail. Thank you! It really does ‘take a village’ to run a campaign like this. Please get in touch with us to let us know about our mistake and help us improve the campaign!
- I posted a question to the campaign. Will I get a response? Absolutely, but we may need 24 hours to get around to everything. You can be sure someone will read your question, and will try to answer as soon as possible. Even if you don’t get a response, please know someone is manning the pumps, and your concern or question is being considered by our team.
- How will you use my contact information? We do not see your information until the campaign is completed. We can only communicate to you through the campaign infrastructure. When the campaign is completed we receive your contact information. We will only use your personal information to contact you for the survey, provide your perk and any of the items or services you've requested, respond to any inquiries from you, and to keep you updated on the progress of our campaign.
- What sizes will be offered for the t-shirts? We will be offering sizes ranging from Small to 2XLarge.
- When are the premieres? Our ballpark date is December 2017. This is an estimate and likely to change.
- Who is running the campaign? The campaign is being run the series co-creators, co-producers and co-writers Davin Lengyel and Mika Collins. Davin Lengyel has previously managed some of the largest movie crowdfunding campaigns, including the Robbie and Stephen Amell Code 8 campaign which raised over $2 million from over 25k backers.
Risks and challenges
The series is "in the can." We have already filmed it! We've already completed the riskiest part of a production... and it looks great and sounds amazing. The series is guaranteed to launch. Where we need your help is post production - visual effects, miniature building, ADR and promotion.
We managed one of the biggest crowdfunding campaigns in film history. Among other campaigns, we managed the campaign for Code 8 that raised over $2.2mil for over 20,000 backers. We are seasoned veterans in campaign fulfillment.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)