The Chicago knitting scene is awesome and diverse. Why not have a magazine to show it off?
Printed quarterly (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter), Chicago Knits Magazine will showcase all that is fun and cool in the Chicagoland yarn scene. In every issue, there will be listings of local events; product and book reviews; knit and crochet patterns (current and vintage); and articles on everything yarn—sheep shearing, spinning, dyeing, creating cool new pieces, recreating cool, old pieces, everything! There will also be interviews from local yarn store owners and local pattern designers. Get to know what's going on with the knit and crochet people in your city!
Each issue will be approximately 60 pages, not including advertising. 8 x 10.5", full color, great photographs, and unique articles that you won't find in a national knitting or crochet magazine.
Articles in the Spring 2014 issue:
- Sifu Design Studio and Fine Yarns - an interview with Lisa Whiting, store owner and pattern designer
- Sit and Spin - a recurring feature about the ins and outs of yarn spinning. This issue will talk about why you should learn to spin yarn.
- Hot Knitting in the City - a recurring feature about your favorite places to knit around the Chicago area
- Knitting and Crochet Techniques - a reoccurring feature teaching common techniques. This issue will show Provincial Cast-on and Magic Ring. Step-by-step with excellent pictures.
- A Newb Casts On - an article about a first-time knitter
- Yarn Storage - how to tackle your growing yarn stash before it takes over your home
- patterns, swatches, and so much more!
The Spring 2014 issue of Chicago Knits Magazine is the first issue, so there will be no advertising. This Kickstarter will help defray some of the cost of the launch. It will cover printing the first issue and subscription cards, will help cover some shipping costs, and it will help pay for some of the commissioned designs featured in the magazine. This printed magazine will also be used to help secure advertising for future issues. A single issue will be $7.99. A one year subscription will be $24.99.
Chicago Knits Magazine will be officially launched at YarnCon 2014, on April 5-6.
Check us out at www.chicagoknitsmag.com.
Thank you for taking the time to check out my Kickstarter!
Risks and challenges
The risks and challenges are many. If subscriptions lag and advertising isn't very robust, I may not be able to cover the costs of printing and maintenance of the magazine. Several people have shown a keen interest in making this work, so with the help of my friends, family, and the knitting community at large, I'm hoping that covering costs for future issues won't be a problem.
Another risk is not being able to find enough local talent to feature in the magazine. Submissions of patterns and articles are a large part of a craft magazines, and not having enough submissions means a very lean publication. By going to local yarn stores, advertising, and spreading the word around the Chicagoland knitting scene, I'm hoping that anyone who knits would be willing to submit or write about their experiences.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)