This project's funding goal was not reached on July 10, 2013.
About this project
URUK (Arduino Compatible) Network Development Board!
Announcing URUK b/g/n router WiFi Module , a complete router in small package with built in Arduino compatible MCU (Atmega32u4), the WiFi setup , security and the entire network stack is handled by the URUK router module so it will take all the heavy lifting from the MCU , no external library required for the setup it all can be done through any web browser or through Serial command from the MCU, the wife chip used on the router is Ralink-rt5350f , the user can adjust the TX power setting based on the project requirement and the router module support auto channel selection based on the channels utilization and noise floor the WiFi router module is FCC and CE approved .
* The final product will have an EMI board level shielding cover the RF section of the wireless module .
URUK router module support the following operation mode :-
Access point : when the router module is in the mode it will be acting as an Access point multiple devices can connect to it on the same time ( any WiFi enabled device ) and all of these devices can speak to the MCU ,in this mode you can use the router module to share Internet connection through the WAN port just like normal WiFi router and still can talk to the Arduino compatible MCU from all devices on the wireless side and the LAN side , the MCU can use the WAN connection to connect to the Internet on the same time (the Router module support static WAN IP address or DHCP it also supports PPPoE , L2TP , PPTP).
WiFi Client : in this mode the URUK WiFi router can connect to any wireless access point , and act as a client allowing the MCU to connect to any resources on the network.
Ethernet Client : in the mode the URUK WiFi router will act as an Ethernet client allowing the MCU to connect to any resource on the network .
One of the most complected task when developing a project that utilize wireless network is security , the URUK module support all WiFi security standards like 64/128/152 bit WEP encryption , WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK、WPA/WPA2 , the module is also support Wireless MAC address filtering and WPS , URUK router module also got built in firewall that allow the users to customize access to any resource all from an easy to use web based configuration GUI .
URUK WiFi router module shield
The URUK shield is for the users who already have an Arduino board and like to add WiFi or Ethernet connectivity , the URUK WiFi Router Shield is compatible with all Arduino boards ( UNO , MEGA , DUE , Leonardo ) and it utilize UART to communicate with Arduino or any other Microcontroller that support UART , the form factor of the shield is stranded Arduino shield , if you like to connect it to any other micrcontroller you just need 5V , UART and you can have WiFi and Ethernet connectivity with complete router and firewall for added security .
100% Arduino Compatible
the microcontroller used by the URUK WiFi router module is %100 compatible with stranded Arduino IDE we used the Atmega32u4 to have better compatibility with stander Arduino shields and libraries the module can be programmed just like stranded Arduino Leonardo it also provide USB host support , so the USB connector on board is not just for Programming it can be used to developed stranded USB HID devices .
URUK router module can be configured through any web browser , all of the features that the router module support can be accessed through the web GUI
URUK router module features
- 20 Digital I/O Pins .
- 7 PWM channels .
- 12 Analog input channels .
- 5V operating voltage ( for the MCU Pins ).
- 32KB flash memory ( 4KB used by the bootloader ).
- 16MHz Clock Speed .
- USB Host .
- b/g/n WiFi .
- 2 Ethernet Port , WAN and LAN .
- The router module can work as an Access point / Router / WiFi client / Ethernet client .
- Full Network stack support ( TCP , UDP , DHCP , PPPoE , DNS , L2TP , PPTP )
- Built in firewall .
- NAT / port forwarding .
- The router module can be configured to be a Server or client all handled by the Ralink SoC not the Microcontroller .
- Easy to use GUI interface and serial commands .
- Wireless security ( WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK、WPA/WPA2 , 64/128/152 bit WEP , WPS ).
- Configuration file import and export ( you can save your configuration as a file and import it in different router module to have the same network configuration .
- UART connection to the Microcontroller (230.4Kbps maximum ).
- Router configuration can be controlled through the microcontroller using serial command .
- The Transmit power on the router is adjustable through the user configuration.
- On board antenna and a connector for external antenna .
Adding more features
We've been working on this project for more than 7 months now , and we are ready for production , all parts source are secured the Assembly factory for the WiFi SoC are ready with high volume ,the URUK module will be assembled here in U.S .
Help Us Spread The Word!
- Tweet about us .
- like the project Facebook page .
- Share our project on the your favorite electronics blog .
- tell your friends.
Risks and challenges
We have secured most of the parts sources , and as soon as we see the project performance on kickstarter will start booking the WiFi SoC and the rest of the parts , we have direct contact source to secure Atmel MCUs for this project .
the plan is to assemble this product here in U.S we have more than one factory ready to start working on this product assembly .
The biggest risk for delay with this project is assembly factory meeting the estimate time they provided , we have added 2 more weeks to cover any delay .Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)