Because we have reached $20,000 we are unlocking two new add-ons! The Dragon Staff and the Chaos Scepter. Get them as an individual reward or as add-ons to your existing pledge. For the Dragon Staff add-on, add $49.99 to your pledge (Chaos Staff or Scepter). To add the Scepter as an add-on, add $199 to your pledge.
The Dragon Staff
The Dragon Staff functions exactly like the Chaos Staff but it has a more ornate head.
The Chaos Scepter
The Chaos Scepter functions just like the Chaos Staff but it is half the length, which makes it even easier to wield.
Hi, Dave the Unicorn here. As a mystical creature, I can say with authority that existing wizard staff designs are distinctly nonmagical. They fail at smiting monsters, enchanting brooms, or transforming your foes into frogs. Heck, they can’t even conjure a decent illusion to help you escape the annual holiday dinner shouting match with your in-laws.
At Magic Wizard Staff, we’ve made it our quest to create wizard staffs that actually do wizard things.
Standing over seven spans tall, the Fog Staff is capped with a glowing eldritch orb that billows clouds of mist on command to delight your friends and mystify your foes.
The cloud billows thickly from the crown of the staff, and creates beautiful lighting effects as the cloud interacts with the powerful LED lighting.
Our second staff is best suited for adventurers of an infernal bent. Topped with horns of mythril aluminum, the Chaos Staff crackles with enough lightning to stun a Balrog and produces 3000 BTUs of fireball-casting fun.
Toasting marshmallows just got a lot more satisfying.
All of our staffs are constructed from furniture-grade PVC, which makes them lightweight and durable. They also come in one of two color schemes: abyssal black (left) or elvish oak (right).
We’ve spent months talking to Ren Festers, dungeon delvers, LARPers, and fantasy enthusiasts of all colors of mana in our effort to make the best wizard staffs possible. Here is what we heard from you and we are happy to say we have been able to deliver!
- Real magical effects (light, fog, sparks, fire)
- Long-lasting and rechargeable effects
- Lightweight and durable staff design
- Realistic faux wood finish
- Sleek and simple design to allow for personalization
- A “safe” option (The Fog Staff with light, fog, and durable plastic head)
- A “show” piece (The Chaos Staff with flame, sparks, and a metal head)
How did a simple unicorn like me end up as a senior engineer for a wizard staff company? This project started out as an overbuilt Halloween prop and a whimsical weekend project among friends, but we received such a positive response from the wider wizarding community that we felt called to make our staffs available so sorcerers and sorceresses everywhere can share excitement of holding magic in their hands.
Over time we gathered our team by finding those of us with the skills and motivation to also want to build awesome wizard staffs with mystical powers. Our dedicated team is now 8 strong and continues to grow as needed.
Risks and challenges
There are risks and challenges to any adventure and making Magic Wizard Staffs a reality is no exception. Our band of skilled and knowledgeable adventures is up to the task. Here are the risks we foresee and what we have done to mitigate them.
1. ) Safety and legal concerns around selling a device that produces flame:
- First, to be clear the Chaos Staff is NOT a flamethrower. The California definition of a flamethrower is “any non-stationary and transportable device designed or intended to emit or propel a burning stream of combustible or flammable liquid a distance of at least 10 feet" H&W 12750 (a).” The Chaos Staff does not propel liquid fuel and its flame is 3 feet or less.
- You are responsible for using the Chaos Staff in a safe manner. It is an open flame and should be treated with respect. The flame size and intensity is a little more than a tiki torch, so the staff can be handled easily but it must be handled with caution.
- Neither staff is a weapon. They are magical walking sticks.
- Manufacturing is the biggest risk and challenge faced by kickstarter projects. Our team is comprised of experts in 3D printing, design for manufacturing, and mechanical engineering. We have spent considerable time building and specing our prototypes to reduce overall manufacturing risk.
- If we meet our kickstarter goal we are setup to produce our staffs in-house using small scale additive manufacturing methods. The plastic components will be 3D printed and finished at our facility, we have a contractor to watercut and finish the metal fins, and we will assemble the staffs in-house. If we exceed our kickstarter goal and reach $50k we have manufacturing partners lined up who can produce our plastic parts via injection molding and an another partner to assemble. All of our partners are located in Minnesota, USA and we have established professional relationships with all of them.
- We have a strong and unique relationship with a fulfillment partner who is located in St. Cloud, Minnesota less than an hour away from the Magic Wizard Staff facility. We have a clear plan and costs for shipping our staffs anywhere in the USA except Maryland. We will not ship to Maryland because of their laws regarding flame producing devices.
- We have included a flat rate shipping price for our kickstarter.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)