BIG SIGNIFICANT THINGS is about a guy who goes on a road trip before moving across the country with his girlfriend. After lying about a "work trip," Craig (played by Harry Lloyd) drives south by himself with the plan of visiting several of the "World's Largest Roadside Attractions."
Writer & Director - Bryan Reisberg
Starring - Harry Lloyd, Krista Kosonen
Producers - Andrew D. Corkin, Daniel-Konrad Cooper
Cinematographer - Luca Del Puppo
Production Designer - Shawn Bronson
Editor - Calavera, USA
Composer - Mark Orton
Back in May of 2013, Mississippi was home for most of the production. We utilized as many of its wonderful resources as possible, including casting locals, hiring local crew, and using local vendors. We also drove across as much of the south as we could. Here's a list of where else we shot:
- Jackson, Mississippi
- Gulfport, Mississippi
- Raymond, Mississippi
- Natchez, Mississippi
- Rose Hill, North Carolina
- Roanoke, Virginia
We worked with so many talented people from all over, including cast and crew from Mississippi and Texas. I'm so honored that we're heading back down south for the World Premiere at SXSW. But we need a little help to get this film ready for the premiere.
Here's what your donation means to us.
- Deliverables - These are the hard drives and tapes on which we deliver the finished film to various festivals and theaters so we can showcase the film in the highest possibly quality. The physical tapes and drives alone will cost us thousands of dollars.
- Color Correction - Like Instagram, or Microsoft Paint. We put in a lot of hours driving to locations across the United States (not to mention the frequent stops for Gas Station BBQ), and we just want to make sure everything looks how it's intended.
- Sound Design - People from the south are extremely friendly, even when you're filming. They also can be pretty irate when you tell them their favorite gas station/bbq restaurant is closed for the day due to filming. We want to take our time and make sure we're accurately portraying the vibrant soundscapes of the many places at which we filmed. We're also fortunate to have the film's score currently being composed by Mark Orton, who recently did the score for Alexander Payne's NEBRASKA.
- Music Licensing - Since this is a road film, we're proud to feature an incredibly large and diverse collection of artists both small and large. And in order to populate the movie with so many of these talented musicians, we need to pay them what they're due.
- Marketing/Promotions - I'm hoping that offering to tattoo someone's name on my body will help with this, but for the most part it takes a lot of work just to tell people you made a movie. We'll need to bring on a publicist to compete with films much bigger than us to help ensure the film reaches the appropriate audiences, critics and sales people -- and then we'll be able to get the film to you! (Maybe we'll also hire some of the nice folks from Mississippi to walk around and just tell people we made a movie.)
We're extremely fortunate to get the opportunity show this film on a stage like SXSW -- and we'll be sharing the stage with films that had much larger budgets. It's my goal to make sure that the quality of this film is not representative of its budget -- but the hard work, passion and dedication of those people that were a part of its creation.
Thank you for anything you can offer.
(Please contact me if you want to send baked goods.)
- Written Edited and Directed by Bryan Reisberg
- Starring Michael Douglass
- Shot by Luca Del Puppo
- Sound by Andrew D. Corkin
- Make-Up by Christy-Diane Smith
Risks and challenges
It's fantastic that SXSW will be the kickoff for this film, so there's no risk of the film not getting there. Trust me, it'll be there. What you're donating towards, is helping ensure that BIG SIGNIFICANT THINGS has a long and healthy festival run and subsequent release to wider audiences -- hopefully to a screen near you too!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)