This project's funding goal was not reached on September 1, 2012.
About this project
What is The Planes of Merinia?
The Planes of Merinia is a Windows and Mobile (Android / iOS) MMORPG game, set in the universe of Merinia.
In Merinia, the world is divided into Planes (or zones). Every plane has special features and abilities.
For example, some planes only allow magic use (no technology or physical abilities). Other planes only allow PVP, or only host monsters, or only provide crafting supplies.
There are over one hundred planes available in Merinia.
What's so special about Merinia?
I've been a gamer for all of my life. Over the last fifteen years, I've noticed a desire for a lot of features in MMORPG games, which the designers haven't implemented. Features such as being able to build a Guild City and use that city for business, raiding, crafting, etc.
Below is a short list of new features found in The Planes of Merinia, which are not common in most MMORPGs.
- In Merinia, you do not choose a class. Instead, you can learn skills, spells, and crafts from multiple classes. You can learn healing, fire magic, and sword master, for example. As you gain levels for your character, you can increase your set of skills. Your skills only level if you use them (they do not automatically increase when your character level increases). This is an incentive for you to actually use the fire magic skill set, for example.
- Steal spells and skills from your opponents. This is a skill that all characters are granted, but you must use it to improve it. During combat, you can steal a spell or skill from your opponent. Your opponent will not be able to use that skill/spell on you and your group, until the effect fades. The effect duration increases as your skill level improves
- Planes are special. As mentioned above, Merinia has over 100 planes. Planes may only allow specific character levels (for example only players level 5-10), may only be inhabited by monsters, may be only for PvP, may be only for crafting, etc. Some planes have multiple requirements, while other planes may have no requirements
- Guild Planes. Merinia has a special set of Planes just for guilds. You can build a Guild City on your Guild Plane, which can be used for trade, crafting, raiding, and improving your guild's rank.
- Guild Raids. You can launch Guild on Guild raids against Guild Cities. Steal supplies, steal merchants, destroy trading posts. But be careful, Guilds can construct powerful defenses, and have many countermeasures available to the defenders.
- Build your own items. In Merinia, you can construct your own weapons, armor, artifiacts, items, etc. Included in the game is an item editor. Create a vorpal sword, or a golden bag. Whatever you can imagine. Items can have scripts attached to them, allow for animation, actions, and special events. Some created items can be sold in the market
- Marketplace. Most MMOs restrict the user's ability to buy and sell items to only within special auction houses within the game. In Planes of Merinia, you can visit our special auction website and have access to all items up for sale in the game - even when you can't log into the game! Also included is the ability to purchase certain items directly - such as healing potions, mana potions, mounts, etc. Item trading and currency exchanges are desired and factored into game play.
How much of Merinia is completed, already?
I have about 65% of the game completed. I'm not planning to release Merinia until Feb 2013, and I'm ahead of schedule for completing the remaining items.
The server side development is completed. All communication, scheduling, questing, task planning, inventory, combat systems, etc, are completed on the server side.
For the client, The combat system is almost complete (it's play-ready, but I want to add some new tweaks, based on play-testing feedback). Questing is completed, as is the scripting engine and scripting of new objects.
Most of what is left to be done, code wise, is to complete special quests and environments (like dungeons), handling the Plane navigation system (so you can easily jump to another plane), chat, auction and trading, crafting / professions, and skills (all of which are completed on the server already).
I have patents pending for some of the communication technology being used between the client and server, as well as two other modules being used on the server.
What this fund raising will cover?
For The Planes of Merinia, I need graphics, and lots of it. The bulk of this fund raising will go towards a 3D artist and an additional level designer. I have about 50% of the Planes designed so far, but if I want to stay with my schedule of releasing in Feb 2013, I need to bring on additional talent.
Other than the cost for 3D graphics and level design, the funds will go towards misc items (sound effects, server and bandwidth leasing for the final product, etc).
Who am I?
My name is Philip Pierce. I've been a software developer for almost 20 years. Over the past 10 years, I've worked on a number of PC and mobile games as an AI developer and as a general game developer. My roles have ranged from Project Manager, AI developer, and (on many projects), the sole game developer.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)