Hey, Sports Fans!
Since it’s launch in 2012, DreadBall has been tremendously popular – all thanks to you guys. Which loads of great miniatures, leagues and players out there, the game has gone from strength to strength. For the past 4 years, all over the world thousands of coaches have taken to the pitch to play ball, win tournaments and claim trophies - or often to just bash their opponent’s heads in, forgetting about the ball and scoring strikes. Based on player feedback, we feel that it’s time for a change.
Over the years DreadBall has grown beyond the simple core game and 2 expansion teams we originally had planned! It developed into 6 season books, 25 teams, a cast of MVPs, a multi-player expansion, several stand alone expansions and a supporting range of accessories, pitches and giants. Two of those books and several teams are now out of stock and the range has become intimidating to new players and unbalanced as new teams have joined the game. With the core game going out of print and 4 years of community feedback under our belt, it’s time to tidy it all up and make it into something even better.
DreadBall is returning to Kickstarter Tomorrow, to bring in loads of new players and fund the 2nd Edition of the game. This will be focussed on rebalancing the Teams, streamlining the rules and layout and overhauling the league mechanics. Launching at 1:30pm BST on Friday 22nd July and running for just two weeks, the DreadBall Kickstarter is designed around one main pledge level that gets you:
DreadBall: The Futuristic Sports Game core set
- Core Rulebook: with everything you need to know to play plus League System and advanced rules for cheerleaders, coaches and more.
- New Teams: the Draconis All-Stars robot team and Ninth Moon Tree Sharks Yndij team.
- DreadBall Pitch: with new artwork and location zones for cards, action tokens, discard pile and an in-built scatter diagram (as requested by the community!) The hexes on the pitch are a little bigger at 28mm rather than 25mm to give some room for arms and tails.
- Everything you need to play: Revised cards, counters, dice, redesigned roster pad, RefBot MKII and lots of newly redesigned DreadBalls.
The pledge level also includes:
- DreadBall Team Guide: Containing all the rules, background and stats for every team, team captain and MVP.
- DreadBall Ultimate: This expansions allows up to 6 players to play DreadBall at the same time and includes rules booklet, counters, and card deck. There’s even a newly artworked pitch design (mock-up ‘sketch’ below), included on the reverse side of the standard pitch. Now you’ll only need to carry one pitch around!
We like to include exclusives to our pledge levels to say thank you for backing the project and DreadBall comes with two from the off: Fergus, an offensive coach and Tracer, a Support coach.
Fergus comes from the spaceship yards of Plutos, where a Plutosian gets a thick skin and a loud voice or is never heard. Fergus takes that philosophy and applies it to the pitch. He plays to win by any means, and if a call goes against him then shouting at 150 decibels can’t hurt.
Once one of the G-Net’s most popular superstars, Tracer believes that once a team is on the pitch there is little they can’t do if encouraged appropriately. She whips up the crowd with skills learnt from the stage, starting chants so catchy even the other teams sometime join in, and drives her team onto greater feats of athleticism.
As you can see, both have very distinctive looks and will look great in any hobbyist’s collection.
The pledge level will be available for $100 and contains items worth over $150 MSRP from the start – and, should we break our funding goal, the pledge level will get even better value as we break stretch goals and throw in free stuff. We’ve had some great ideas from the community – from miniatures representing the Eye in the Sky to DreadBall’s own Commentary Team event card holder – that we hope to see become reality.
I hope that you’ll join us for a fun campaign. Thank you for your support!