House Monkey is designed to bring your ENTIRE family (the tribe) together to organize, schedule and complete everyday chores (like making a bed) AND home maintenance tasks (like changing air filters).
House Monkey tells you when, how and why completing each chore and task is important!
Why House Monkey is important for families:
Most family experts believe that requiring your children to do chores is beneficial (see below for benefits of chores), but we also believe in the principle of Monkey see- Monkey do! They are more apt to pitch in when they see you actively participating in chores and doing even more (the home maintenance tasks they are too young to do)!
How House Monkey is UNIQUE:
We incorporate THREE things that are really different…..
1. NEW TECHNOLOGY......Allowing the content from your app to update the content on your family members devices, so you can easily interact with the members of your tribe!
• Assign & track tasks to other users
• Share tasks/responsibilities & integrate multiple users
Notice on the mock-up below, the ability to complete a task (which was on your individual list) can be re-assigned right from this app! No more looking up information on one app then copying or retyping that information in a text or email to another family member. We will eliminate the extra frustrating steps you need to take today to get "ordinary" things done around your house.
2. Monkey See- Monkey Do: the “how-to do it” feature specifically designed for YOUR home (Watch our video to see this in action!)
Build your own “Do It Yourself” video and photo library.
- Pass along the skills, knowledge & experiences to complete chores and tasks in whole new way with greater consistency. Capture yourself or someone else actually doing the chore or task in YOUR house right from your mobile device.
- Houses a photo gallery of images (invoices, receipts,
service contracts, business card) really whatever picture you need!
3. Optional Rewards!
If you decide to use rewards…..
- You decide the reward
- You decide the number of banana’s needed to get the reward, AND
- You opt how to reward
1. As a tribe: Does your family want
a puppy, dinner in their favorite restaurant, or a camping weekend? Talk to them, encourage family excitement
and vote on what you want to do as a tribe! Everyone will be excited chip in
around the house and earn a family reward!
2. As an individual: You can set individual rewards for each specific member of your family. (i.e, their allowance, a new shirt, a video game, ability to stay out a little later) whatever you and that child (or spouse) agrees to!
“Paying” or rewarding your family depends on your families beliefs and values. So if you don’t want to incorporate rewards, don’t use this feature at all, but know you can use it at any time! The bottom line is you decide the best way to reward your tribe, if at all!
House Monkey features help you manage your house more efficiently:
Maintain an accurate history:
• Notifications & reminders about chores/tasks due, overdue, and upcoming
• Build “shopping lists” for chores & tasks
• Associate vendors & service providers with home maintenance tasks
Organize and manage key information for your house:
• Organize & files key photos, videos & manuals for chores and home maintenance tasks
• Track commonly purchased items with images, bar codes & QR codes
• Maintain contact information for your preferred vendors
• Store electronic copies of user manuals, service contracts, & warranties
• Overall home maintenance history
• Individual status of members in your household:
o Chores & tasks due, upcoming, and completed by person
o Banana’s earned by individual or by tribe
• Inventory/ supplies on hand for
o Seasonal tasks
o Hazard preparation
• Vendor directory
• Cost reports
House Monkey will be integrated to cloud-based, password protected website to:
• Simplify first time population of data for your house
• Provide easy account management (profile data, multiple users, adding new tribe members)
• Help you easily scanning in new contracts, warranties etc.
The last (but most important) feature is it HAS to be easy to use. We own a business & have 4 kids, a new puppy, and volunteer! so if we can't do it quickly and easily, we don't use it! Therefore our goal is to ENSURE that busy families can use House Monkey with ease!
Who is House Monkey for?
AS PARENTS, WE DEFINITELY THINK WE NEED THIS APP… we lead a crazy life… we have four very active kids aged 6-11, we own a very small business (so the good news for your investment is we have built apps before) and, and we own a house! There is so much to balance and the house is on the losing end of that list.
Nothing was worse than having a dryer break right after our twins were born and we couldn’t find the warranty
When the air conditioner broke in the middle of the summer because of lack of maintenance.
We’ve tried Microsoft Outlook, we’ve tried adding house tasks to calendars on the wall....see that wall behind us on the video...that calendar and reward system is REAL! (way too much work to maintain)! We even tried another home maintenance app- and all of these solutions have their limitations. So we want this app!
We NEED this app…….Are you busy parents who need it too?
CHILDREN NEED THIS APP
Yes, our kids have chores. A while back we read something that said kids consistently need 3 types of age appropriate chores to become self- sufficient, responsible and HAPPY adults. The 3 types are chores are:
1. To take care of themselves (ages 2 and older)
2. To be part of the household (ages 4 and older)
3. To be part of the community (ages 8 and older)
We plan on making it easy for you by breaking down chores into age appropriate selections for you to pick from and assign to your tribe members!
For the littlest members who don't yet own mobile devices, you can always have them press the "complete" button on your device to reap the benefits and see their contributions to their family!
Top 10 Benefits of Chores
- Help kids feel they belong. Chores help kids feel like an important part of the family.
- Kids contribute to the home. As children feel like they’re contributing in some way, they begin to develop and build pride.
- Build self-esteem
- Teach kids responsibility
- Children discover the value of cooperation
- Demonstrate the importance of taking care of personal items and one’s home
- Keep kids busy and out of trouble
- Facilitate physical development
- Provide learning experiences
- Introduce children to the world of work
PS....... SAVE YOUR FUTURE SELF!
According to the NASP (National Association of School Psychologists), "Accomplishment of chores are especially important because they teach basic domestic "survival skills" that will help children successfully and competently live separately from their parents when that time comes".
New homeowners (with or without kids) who want the ease of organizing and managing all the home maintenance tasks in one place.
Who else????? You tell us!
If you think House Monkey is for you, please consider pledging to our KICKSTARTER campaign.
We've been hard at work on this App for several months- We have developed the concepts, mocked up the ideas, even carried out the elaborate and tedious task of filling in the content for each section (How many times can I walk through the house and make sure I have all the maintenance tasks listed?) We have worked with our developers and they have evaluated the concept of sharing data within an app between people and we believe a solution is very viable. We have evaluated several of the potential options. That is what we have completed before we launched this Kickstarter campaign! At this point 75% of the work is done! But we still need that last 25%, which consist mainly of finalizing the data sharing between apps technology but also includes a few other development procedures once that is finalized. We will go back and make sure everything in the app shines… the app-sharing interactions, the video components, layouts, etc. Finally we'll put it through a rigorous testing period and fix any remaining bugs! Then we will submit to the Apple App Store.
How will we use the funding?
You can see here that we need $31K. We are asking for 20K because we are using $11k of our own funding...because again....we need this app!
What will we do if we exceed the KICKSTARTER goal?:
First, we will build the android version of the app.
Next, we will work toward our long term vision: House Monkey
will be the first app / web platform inspiring a lifestyle that combines the new (efficiency
of technology) with the old (family interactions, discussions, & everyone
pitching in) so you can get ordinary tasks out of the way, leaving you time to
have more fun with your family!
We call this a Monkey Tribe Lifestyle!
Additional funding will allows us to
do lots of things that will continue to build and foster the Monkey Tribe
Lifestyle (like additional apps that will work in conjunction with this app to continually bring your family together and manage even more everyday "stuff") AND bring you more value for House Monkey: like finding partners who may offer you
coupons when you need to purchase an item to maintain your home!
We can’t share it all now, but know that more will be revealed with extra funding!
In Summary…Our goal is to change the
way technology is used by creating something different! House Monkey is really
different because it offers the option of bringing the tribe living in your house
closer together by working toward common goals and by helping you complete chores and tasks when you don’t know how.
If you think the Monkey Tribe Life is for you….. pledge now!
SPECIAL THANKS:Thank you to all our friends and family who took the time to listen to our ideas and concepts for House Monkey and offered your own thoughts and stated the obvious we missed! This includes (in no particular order) Peter Meerwarth, Mike & Lisa Paulette, Vanessa DePompo, Jennifer Drews, Elaine Divis, Audrey Wu and her clan of friends across the USA including Lucia and Richard Chung & Christine Walston!
Thanks to our gracious "actors" (ie friends).... Rob McLaughlin, Bobbi Kulpa, and Analise (a special shout-out to the very REAL looking eye-roll! We love you!)
And finally a BIG thanks to Ted Menzies from TeeFour Productions, Inc. who very generously offered to make and produce the kickstarter video.
If you liked it you can find him at www.teefourproductions.com
Risks and challenges
A potential risk to our App delivery date (before spring 2015) could be the App Store approval process.
Another risk may be that the “data-sharing” between apps delays development of the app. We will make sure it works properly before we release it.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (40 days)