Imagine a World Where Our Children Are Self-Confident, Brave and Unafraid.
"I Am Brave and Unafraid" is an illustrated children's book which tells the story of a boy who falls asleep and enters the magical world of dreamland. He dreams of camping, full of marshmallows, pretend play, and song. Night comes and he falls asleep. His dream within a dream turns into a nightmare. While sleeping, the boy uses different techniques to cope with the fear he encounters. Ultimately, by using his power of thought, he increases his self-confidence and becomes brave. He confronts his nightmare and receives a big surprise!
My goal is to empower children to be BRAVE and UNAFRAID by teaching them to use their power of thought. With your support we can spread the message and create a more confident generation.
Did You Know There Are At Least 541 Phobias?
Perhaps your child struggles with nightmares, fears the dark, or is scared to go to the dentist. Maybe your child has fears related to school, making new friends, or being alone. Regardless of ones fear, it can be managed.
The Benefit To You
The story was read in many classrooms and public settings to children ages 2-8. Then over 20 beta readers read it to themselves and/or with their children ages 2-15.
A simple one-time reading of the story entertained, excited and induced suspense and laughter. Repetition of the book paired with a simple discussion with the children about the concepts of the power of thought, self-confidence and bravery, facilitated an improved adjustment in the children's approach to new or fearful situations. The expression, "I Am Brave and Unafraid" caught on to a child's daily speech and could induce a fairly quick change when a challenge arose.
The lessons learned in they story can help your child become happier in school and feel more positive about the way they think about themselves. Even parents found themselves affected by the story, their anxiety lessening while repeating the words, "I Am Brave and Unafraid" during an uncomfortable or frightening situation. The story inside this book can help you and your child maintain an "I Can" attitude.
Some Changes Observed After Multiple Readings of the Story:
- Children's fears melted away.
- Children become instilled with confidence.
- Nightmares lessened.
- Children enjoyed once feared social situations.
- Children performed in front of groups where they once stood paralyzed with fear.
- Children rose to new challenges like learning a sport or an instrument.
You and your child CAN DO anything, simply by exercising your POWER OF THOUGHT!
The Creative Process
In the same night, my two children complained of nightmares. I explained to my daughter that she could turn that scary lion into the friendly image of a birthday cake and then just blow out its candles, simply by using her power of thought. Then I went to my son's room, ended up on the floor, blankets covering us as we pretended to go camping, and I told him a story. He wanted to hear the story over and over again. The next evening I wrote it down. "I Am Brave and Unafraid" was born.
I read the story in several classrooms to get an initial idea about its quality. The response from the children, parents, and teachers was so incredibly positive that I decided it was a story worth sharing. Since then, the story was revised over 50 times.
After reviewing more than 70 illustrators to determine who would best compliment the story, illustrator Ignacio G. was chosen to bring the story to life.
What Makes Our Kickstarter Book Special and Unique?
In addition to helping your child overcome their fears, books received through this Kickstarter Campaign will be a Collector's Edition. This means each book is numbered and signed by the author. *Only those books purchased through Kickstarter will be numbered.*
Why I Need Your Support
As a self-publishing author, there are a multitude of expenses associated with getting the book to the printing stage and then sold. This includes items such as the illustrator, graphic designer, publicity, marketing, and the cost of printing itself.
Upon reaching our Kickstarter goal we can:
- Offset some of our current expenses
- Order a large print run
Once we reach $20,000 in sales we can begin to:
- Translate the book into at least 10 additional languages
- Create an animated video of the book
- Create the e-book version
- Write a children's musical based on the book
Pay It Forward
In an effort to reach as many children as possible we have partnered with several organizations who could benefit from the story. With your extra generosity we can fulfill each organization's needs. If you run or know of an organization that could benefit from receiving books please reach out to us as we would love to include them as a potential recipient.
For each additional $15 you add to your pledge, one book will be donated.
- $15 = 1 book, $30 = 2 books, $150=10 books, etc.
- No Shipping Charges apply! Author will cover the cost of shipping and send books directly to each recipient of the donated books.
- Each donor will receive, via email, a Thank You Letter signed by the recipient.
- Donors names will be included inside the book on a sticker: "Gift from John Smith" or "Gift from Anonymous".
Current recipient list:
- Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago www.luriechildrens.org
- New Moms www.newmoms.org
- Hephzibah Children's Association www.hephzibahhome.org
- Princess Zev, Books for Kids www.princesszev.org
By Purchasing "I Am Brave and Unafraid" You Are Helping to Create a World Where Our Children Are Self Confident, Brave and Unafraid.
What My Readers are Saying:
My kids and I love to read this book over and over! Every time we read it we discover new clever details in the writing and the illustrations. This book quickly became a family favorite. This book has it all! A super fun story, powerful message, catchy song and great vocabulary for our little ones. I just love it! ~ Annie Herr
“This powerful book provided such a great lesson about developing bravery. The colorful pages captivated my niece's attention and the positive message made her feel safe and confident to go to sleep in the dark.” ~ Jennifer Strait
"Arielle is a dear friend and a professional confidant. The illustrations are fantastic and the lesson of how to overcome fear and be brave is something every kid should learn. There's even a little song! I will be ordering a copy for my nephew and all of my friends' kids." ~ Megan Wessels
Please Help Spread the Word!
It will take a community of friends and supporters like you to help us make this book a sensational hit. With your pledge and your help to spread the message we can share the message with thousands of families.
The story is written. The illustrations are complete. The storyboard is set. The book is undergoing final formatting and awaiting your pledge before being sent to the printer.
- 8X10 Portrait Gloss Hardcover
- 38 total pages full color illustrated book (32 pages plus end sheets)
- 100 # Matte Interior Paper
- January-February: First version of story told verbally, story revised and tested in classrooms.
- March-April: Story revised, Illustrator and publisher selected.
- May - September: Illustrations sketched, colored and finalized. Story underwent several more revisions and tested in multiple classrooms. Song transposed.
- October: Beta readers read and gave feedback. Feedback incorporated into the book, final edit of story, illustrations, music and video.
- November: Kickstarter launched! Book finalized for printing.
- December: First print run will be ordered.
- January-February: Books will be shipped and received by YOU!
Credits and Acknowledgements:
- Beta Readers & Family: You know who you are! A Huge Thank You!
- Graphic Designer: Morgan Alessi
- Illustrator: Ignacio G.
- Music Transposed: Meg Lauterbach, Chelsea Burns, Amy and Anastasia Pappageorge
- Project Manager: Susan Roberts
- Publisher: Mascot Books
- Videographer: White_Tigers Productions
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Risks and challenges
Risks and challenges are what keep a project alive.
We are finalizing the details to get the book ready for printing. We do not expect any delays that will keep us from our delivery date but life is sometimes full of surprises! Weather, UFO's, goblins and gum have been known entities for delay. We will keep you updated if anything delays our anticipated February delivery.
Our biggest challenge is creating the most successful marketing plan to make this a best selling book that is reachable to every child in the world. Please help us reach our goals!
Thank you for supporting our campaign!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)