You can still pledge for awards through PayPal - Either here on on our website.
Fortune's Tavern is a real-time, fantasy, tavern-simulator where you take on the role of Mathias Gambridge, the latest in a long line of owners of the notorious tavern. It's your job to rebuild and renovate the ailing tavern against the backdrop of a fantasy world at war.
If you can struggle through the wars and the paranormal and still turn a profit, then an epic adventure awaits as you delve into the depths of the tavern's 'endless' randomly generated forests and dungeons, with hired heroes to protect you, to discover the dark and terrifying secret of the tavern's founder, Xavier Fortune. Will you succeed, or like your predecessors, will you be driven into madness, poverty, and an early grave?
A real-time fantasy-tavern
Experience the life of a medieval tavern owner as you struggle to make a profit amidst a world filled with fantastic creatures, treasures, bandits, and zombies.
- Renovate and rebuild a fantasy tavern.
- Explore procedurally generated forests and dungeons.
- Build bedrooms, temples, a forge, cottages, pet cave, and a fighting pit.
- Hire cooks, blacksmiths, battle managers, adventurers, and priests.
- Set rents for each room type.
- Create a custom menu by questing for recipes. (read more here)
- Listen to your guests’ rumours and fund quests.
Real-time events! (read more here)
Fortune’s Tavern is played in real-time with 24 minutes equalling a day (although days can be ended by going to sleep). Interesting, fun, and terrifying random-events can happen at any time.
- Expect infestations of rats... or worse!
- Settle grudge matches between patrons in your fighting pits.
- Deal with bandit and zombie raids.
- Handle visitations from mystical creatures and demi-gods.
- Find your rooms haunted by restless spirits.
- Cope with natural disasters.
100s of interactive NPCs will visit your tavern. (read more here)
As the tavern improves, more varied guests will come to stay from across the empires.
- Every NPC has a unique name and background.
- Some can be hired to cook, work the forge, manage the fight pits, and act as your tavern’s priest
- Adventurers can be hired to undertake quests.
- NPCs can fall in love and marry.
- Heroes from different alignments can brawl.
Full PvE and EvE combat system. (read more here)
Exciting and fast paced combat in which you will need to hire strong heroes or villains to succeed.
- Accompany heroes on quests and watch, or help them destroy your enemies.
- Watch fun battles between bandits, monsters, heroes, and villains.
- Fight off bandits, monsters, or zombies trying to raid your tavern.
- Organise fight nights in your battle pit between monsters, patrons and even gods.
Speaking with tavern guests will allow you to discover rumours of lost treasures, recipes for your tavern, renowned bosses to fight, and special pet eggs.
- Randomly generated quests and dungeons allows for indefinite play.
- Fight bosses and boss monsters with up to 6 hired heroes.
- Search dungeons.
- Solve puzzles.
Full story arc. (read background here)
- Non-compulsory 25 hour storyline that delves into the mysteries of Fortune's Tavern and Xavier Fortune, the tavern's founder.
- Involve yourself in an epic war.
- Multiple endings depending on alignment and choices.
- Simulator continues after main quest allowing you the chance to fully upgrade your tavern.
Pet system. (read more here)
- Hatch eggs to discover new and interesting creatures to raise.
- Pets respond according to alignment.
- Over 50 creatures to tame and to accompany you on quests.
- Breed creatures to make new stronger pets.
Rival Taverns and World Map:
Thanks to stretch goals we now have a fully explorable world map and rival taverns to interact with.
- Poison rival taverns' food
- Raid them to steal their gold
- Save up and buy them out
More on Recipes
More on Events and Real-Time
How to create your NPC (for some reward tiers)
More on NPCs
- More on Pets
- More on Combat (includes video clips)
- More on the RPG Storyline
I'm Michael Flynn, the lead designer of Fortune's Tavern. I’m part of a three and a half person team working out of Swansea, Wales (the half being my 7 year old son). I came up with the idea of Fortune’s Tavern while attending university as a mature student. My degree was in Latin and Medieval Studies and I soon learned that the most interesting pieces of history were not the ones about kings and generals but the stories of people behind the scenes. Thus, the tale of Mathias Gambridge, the humble tavern keeper, was born.
We have been working on the project in our spare time for just over a year, and we are now confident enough to set a launch date and look for funding to help give the game a professional polish. We plan to launch for Windows in Q2 of 2015, and Android in Q4 of 2015.
Risks and challenges
Our biggest challenge at the moment is making each new version compatible with previous saves, as my son is always unhappy when he can't continue from his last one. We always have to introduce something pretty awesome if it's game breaking... hence the reason we introduced pets! I kid you not!
Seriously though, because the project is so far along we could feasibly release it within a few weeks, although it wouldn’t be up to the standard we want, nor have all the cool cut-scenes, voices, and artwork we hope to introduce after raising some funds, yet it would still be playable, and still be really fun. Because of this there are few risks with the project at the moment.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)