More fashion, less stuff with Rent frock Repeat
More fashion, less stuff with Rent frock Repeat
We're creating a more fashionable and socially responsible way to look and feel your best...amen to a clean closet!
We're creating a more fashionable and socially responsible way to look and feel your best...amen to a clean closet! Read more
At Rent frock Repeat, we're changing the way you consume, moving away from fast-fashion towards a less wasteful, more enjoyable shopping experience all without sacrificing style.
We've achieved great success since launching back in 2011. Now, with over 84,000 members and two showrooms in Ottawa and Toronto we're taking bold action for the future of our company. We've heard from women across Canada and the call is loud and clear.
You want MORE.
More locations, more dresses, more styles, more designers. To move all of that forward at once, we're turning directly to you.
What we are building
- A new showroom. Location will be determined by YOU. For every $25 contribution, you'll receive not only great rewards but also a vote for our next showroom location.
- New designers. We will add to our great roster including designers such as Canadian favourite Lucian Matis, Chiara Boni - Italy, ASILIO - Australia and Los Angeles-based For Love and Lemons, just to name a few! Our focus will be to provide something for all of you no matter what your style - classic, bohemian, edgy, sexy, or feminine.
- More sizes. We currently carry sizes 0-24 but need to add more volume to both our petite and plus sizes. Both our RfR members and stylists remind us of this daily and we agree!
- Cross-Canada road show. Over the next 15 months we stop in 5 Canadian cities and set up a pop up shop (temporary location) so you can work with an RfR stylist to try on all your favourites and add them to your online wish list. Cities will once again be chosen by you - remember, for each $25 contribution you make you get 1 vote! Cities that come in 2nd through 6th place will all be a stop on our road show.
We know that in-person access to dresses and one-on-one consulting with our stylists make all the difference. You can explore new personal styles, or you can get exactly what you know you want - faster. We have always set our sights on a Canada-wide presence, but we need your direct input where to go next right now.
A key part of this campaign is hearing a strong, clear voice from you about where Rent frock Repeat needs to be next. We have several tiers of rewards, but for each $25 you contribute, you'll get to vote on exactly where our next showroom should be. Downtown Vancouver? Metropolitan Montreal? Whyte Ave. in Edmonton? 17th Ave. SW in Calgary? A stronger presence in Toronto? Somewhere we haven't even thought about that needs more exciting fashion options?
Once you become a backer, we'll be in touch about where you want your votes to go. As the campaign continues, we'll keep you updated on what cities are in the lead. If you want to change it, that will be your opportunity to recruit your friends and shape the outcome of our campaign! We're here to serve you, and our favourite customers are the most passionate.
Let's do this together!
What You'll Get
RfR x Jaz and Jogia Cuff and Necklace
As part of our thank you for supporting us, we're creating special edition accessories that will look as great with your next frock as with a t-shirt and jeans!
We're collaborating with Jaz and Jogia, two extremely talented jewelry designers in Toronto. Friends first, Jaz Chahil and Seetal Jogia bonded over their love of bespoke jewellery and shared design philosophies that becoming business partners to develop their own namesake line was an easy decision. Together they founded Jaz and Jogia in 2015, combining their instincts to design unique and accessible collections inspired by their travels and natural surroundings. Through personal details and use of organic elements like metals and stones, the designers create one-of-a-kind pieces that are both wearable and timeless. “The quality and uniqueness of the creations we wear, share and cherish for a lifetime define why it’s worth the journey,” says Jogia.
Virtual Entrepreneur Series
Looking to start your own company but not sure if you can or if it is for you? Should you got it alone or find a partner? We've been through it all. The excitement, self-doubt, confusion...
At the higher reward tiers, we’re creating an opportunity to participate in a four-part Skype conference series directly with with co-founders Lisa and Kristy on:
- Getting your business started
- Creating a business plan
- Financing your startup
- The reality of being an entrepreneur: What are the real costs and benefits both financially and personally.
We have a combined 43 years of experience in sales and marketing, and have served at Sr. Executive levels in large corporate organizations. We risked homes, savings and job security to open Rent frock Repeat; we know what it means to go all in. Over the last 6 years we’ve faced many challenges but have also been given so many incredible opportunities. Through the series, you’ll gain access to our experience and knowledge and also walk away with tools and materials to help you get started or more importantly, help you decide if owning your own business is right for you.
The VIP Experience
Our members love having access to great designer dresses for a fraction of the price but what they love more is working with an RfR stylist. If we had a nickel for every time we heard “I came in with one dress in mind and because of my stylist, ended up renting something incredible I would have never considered”, we wouldn’t be on Kickstarter!
As a VIP, not only will you be getting first access to new arrivals, inventory sales and special events, you get to work with an RfR stylist for 4 hours to:
- Clean out your closet or
- Get different outfit ideas using your existing wardrobe or
- Head out to your (or your stylist’s) favourite store/mall to fill that gap in your wardrobe. Need a new office look? All set for the office but need some great weekend outfits? Your stylist will get you all set up once and for all.
Glam Photo Shoot
We remember our first photo shoot. It was like we walked onto our very own Vogue set. Everyone was all dolled up, feeling their best and donning their favourite frock. Within minutes everyone’s profile pictures changed and we all looked as glamourous as celebrities on the red carpet. Need new photos for your portfolio, want Instagram worthy shots or just want to feel your best while rocking to your own playlist? The Glam Photo Shoot reward is the one for you!
Meet RfR Lead Investor Coralie Lalonde
Already have a business plan and pitch ready to go? In an intimate group, you'll get a chance to hear Coralie outline what she looks for when deciding to invest and you'll get a chance to pitch.
Since 1992, Coralie has invested millions of dollars in dozens of companies. Her feedback is invaluable and what a great opportunity to hone your pitch with an expert!
Be the Buyer in New York City
You and a friend will join our Chief Merchant in New York City for market week. It’s one thing to attend a fashion show, but something entirely different to be right in the designer showroom or at the Javitt’s Centre seeing the newest collections from hundreds of designers. Oh, and did we mention that beyond helping to choose our next collection, you get to select any item(s) of your choice from any of the designers we work with – up to $1000 retail value.
What Our Customers Are Saying
Why It Matters
- Our clients are transforming their relationship with their appearance, wallets, closets and the environment.
Look awesome: Our personal stylists ensure you look and feel your best, finding dresses that flatter your body. We won't stop until you feel just right. That's a promise!
Save money: Let's just say your credit card will thank you for choosing the rental model. Instead of buying an expensive dress you'll likely only wear once, you can rent at a fraction of the cost. No more buyer's remorse.
Reduce waste: When you leave one of our showrooms, you feel more confident and beautiful while knowing you've made a more responsible choice for yourself and for society. In a single year, Canada produces enough textile waste - clothing and other goods like upholstery - to create a mountain 3x the size of Toronto’s Roger’s Centre. Only about 2 million tons or 15.3% of clothes are recovered for recycling annually.
There's a better way.
At Rent frock Repeat, we’re hoping to change that. We’ve made it our mission to change the way we consume - with both personal and societal benefits. The rental business model allows you to be a socially conscious consumer, making purchases with purpose.
By renting a dress, you’re helping conserve the resources that go into producing a single garment. At the same time, you’re reducing the unnecessary waste piled up at landfills. With Rent frock Repeat, you’re also investing in designers - some just starting out and some that are household names - but all that put care, dedication, and artistry into their work. Your investing in a Canadian company that currently employs 20 people but with expansion we will be employing over 100.
You’re also investing in female entrepreneurs and helping them achieve their dreams.
Many thanks for contributing today!
Risks and challenges
We believe that although you can never control the outcome, you can control your effort, your commitment and your tenacity.
Today, with over 84,000 RfR members, we have built a great ecommerce site and have successfully launched two showrooms; one in Toronto and one in Ottawa. More importantly, we have created a culture of service that is embodied through our staff - we ensure consistency through a detailed onboarding and training program that every RfR employee receives when they join our team. Innovating and executing is what we do and given our track record, we know we can continue to do it.
That is not to say we won't hit hurdles. As a matter of fact, here are some we hit when setting up Toronto and Ottawa.
1) SECURING THE RIGHT LOCATION - Real estate is a tricky thing and lease negotiations can take a while. The good news is we've done this successfully 3 times now and know what to expect.
2) TECHNOLOGY CHALLENGES - What we're creating does not have an out-of-the-box solution. Adding new showroom locations pose unique technology challenges and require innovative technology solutions. The good news is that when we set up our second location in Ottawa, we learned what these solutions look like and are confident we can do it again. Not only did we solve these challenges, in the process we managed to win awards for our website including the Canada Post Ecommerce Innovation Awards in 2013 and we are finalists again this year!
3) FINDING QUALIFIED STAFF ACROSS CANADA THAT FIT THE RfR CULTURE - We are fortunate that our staff in Toronto and Ottawa are so amazing that our customers tell us that the service is what keeps them coming back again and again. We know it's the people that make a great company and so we've already started reaching out and connecting with different markets in anticipation of hiring-up quickly in different cities across the country. Our proactive approach of setting up local networks we believe will help us minimize this risk.
- (40 days)