Platinum Arts Sandbox Game Maker features in game editing, coop editing, dynamic lighting, crossplatform support and advanced networking with the goal of adding visual scripting and many more features listed below. Users will be able to rapidly create games of many different genres and require little to no prior coding experience. Sandbox is available for Windows, Linux and Mac and is based on the Cube 2 Engine.
Want to check out the free version of Platinum Arts Sandbox Game Maker? Check it out here! :) http://SandboxGameMaker.com
To change the world! No really, we want to make it as easy as possible for people to not only make video games but also other creative aspirations they might have including world creation, movie making, interactive guides, reconstruction of historical sites, CAD Design, storytelling, etc! Sandbox is already changing the world and is being used in hundreds of Schools worldwide, and has nearly a million downloads just from our webpage alone! Now we have a chance to make an even bigger impact!
Why use Sandbox over other Game Makers?
Two main reasons, cost and project mindset. The cost for the commercial version of Sandbox is incredibly low considering what you get. Many other game makers seem inexpensive or free but if you read the fine print the cost is easily in the thousands! Also our mindset is to keep the software inexpensive so it is accessible but cost enough so that I can pay a top quality team to add features and content. Our goal isn't about profit, it is about creating a tool that people can use to express their imaginations! We aren't a big greedy cooperation, just a bunch of Game Designers who love to help others! Also the better the commercial version does, the more features we can add to the free version which in turn will help even more people! Sandbox is also Crossplatform and works for PC, Linux and Mac. We hope to add even more platforms for the future!
Why did I create Sandbox?
Back in 2006 I was the Site Director for a Before and Afterschool Program at a local Elementary School. I worked for the YMCA and they were getting rid of computers so I gladly gave the computers a home. After a while though I wanted more for the kids than just playing simple educational games and creating 2D art, I really wanted them to be able to express their imaginations and create interactive stories and worlds. I had been looking for easier to use game engines for a while actually and was really unhappy with how complicated the workflow was with most game engines when creating levels. I happened to come across the Cube 2 engine around that time and even though it was focused towards being an FPS I saw the potential in it to be an easy to use game maker with its nice and easy to use in game editing. So I worked on making it a kid friendly and more easy to use game maker for my kiddos and then decided to release it online too for people and it took off! Now it is being used in hundreds of schools around the world and it has changed people's lives!! I have also used it to teach first hand with amazing results. Even at a teachers conference for PBS where I was showing off the software they were all excited at how easy it was to create! I'm really proud of a story I heard about too of a child in danger of failing out of school and harming his/her self and after a teacher showed him/her Sandbox and the child went home and used it every night and is now on the honor roll!! Just hearing that story alone justifies all of my years of work on Sandbox. Also a boy in my Afterschool Video Game Design Club said he was able to get into a really good College as a result of his work with Sandbox and the portfolio it created. He wrote me a very touching letter saying that Sandbox and myself were pivotal aspects of his success. I continue to work on Sandbox because I love seeing people being able to express their imaginations and it really impresses me how good even little children are with it and how awesome their creations are!
Who am I?
You can read more about me in the "full bio" section to the right but in summary I have been a Game Designer and Level Designer for about 10+ years. I'm also a Teacher and I've taught Game Design at the college level for many years. I've spent the last 7 years working with kids in child care settings, substitute teaching, coaching soccer, babysitting, teaching an after school video game design club, teacher at video game design summer camps, etc. Currently I substitute teach so that I have more time to work on Sandbox and I'm working on getting my Teaching Degree in K-6, Physical Education and Computer Science. I'm also the Project Lead of the "Best Doom 3 Mod Of The Year" Mod called Last Man Standing Coop which won numerous awards. Then I moved on to Sandbox Game Maker which has won several awards as well. I have also written a book for children that I donate the proceeds to three kids in South America that I sponsor :)
Who is on your team?
Michael Tomaino - Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Game Maker and the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing Coop. Level Designer, PR dude, and doer of other random jobs :)
James Burns aka Zkat8it - Lead Coder - He has worked on many different coding projects including MMOs and was working on his own game engine when he joined the Sandbox team. You can check out some of his awesome work at his site Virtual Dark Arts.
Stefos - 3D Artist - He will be responsible for the model packs and making sure there is a lot of quality models for you to use in your commercial games. For some of his work check out D. The Atom Shifter.
Christian - 2D Artist - A former student of mine that will be creating high quality textures that can be used commercially.
Why Kickstarter? What are your goals for the future if Kickstarter is successful?
To take Sandbox to the next level I really need to be able to pay talent. Our volunteers have been awesome but to get things where they need to be at I really want to hire a full time team and that requires money that I don't have but hopefully we can earn through the Kickstarter! I'll also be putting Sandbox on Steam Greenlight so a successful Kickstarter will help get that income source flowing so that I can continue to pay my team and add more members throughout the years! That is the plan anyway! Our success means more free content and updates and features for you as well! Helping us helps you and together we can help everyone all over the world have a much easier way to express their imaginations!
Disclaimer: Features are subject to change as we develop. If it turns out another solution or idea is actually better than what we currently have listed then we will go that route instead of what is listed. I can assure you that our main focus will be on making Sandbox as easy to use as possible but also a powerful creative tool.
Sandbox is based on the Cube 2 Engine so it contains the engines core features and those added exclusively to Sandbox.
- Merging everything into one easily moddable codebase with significantly cleaned up code that is easy to navigate. A lot of the code will be switched over to the new scripting language to make it much easier and quicker to modify.
- Anglescript scripting language to make it to easily modify movement, weapons, NPCs, dialogue, quests, add and create monsters, vehicles, and an inventory eventually for RPG games
- Significantly Improved graphics engine and real time lighting (thanks to Eihrul!)
- Incredibly easy to use in game level editing where environments and whole worlds can quickly be created before your eyes! Also levels can be edited cooperatively with friends/teams/etc!
- Bullet Physics
- UI Improvements including more professional looking, widgets, workflow optimization
- Camera easily adjusted (easy to switch to 3rd person, 1st person, isometric, top down, etc)
- Improve movie recording ease of use
- Updated Particle Editor and System including improved weather system
- Train-path entities and camera linkable to it
- Triggers - (once, multiple, etc)
- Improved AI and ability to add monsters/creatures/NPCs and create different monster types/sets through script
- Improved Foliage system including multiple grass heights and possibly a speed tree type system
- Easily set up to create a " video game" format vs editing format so people can't edit/change a released video game (easily remove edit mode, set up launcher to go into the game, even just good instructions would help)
- Better model collisions
- Improved texture managing. Easier to import textures and in game texture editor/modifier. Also easier to use blendmaps/texture painting
- Around 1000+ exclusive textures
- Many models will be added that can be used commercially
- All content can be used commercially
- Constantly updated and improved on beyond the Kickstarter listed features at NO CHARGE. This includes neat upstream updates from the Cube 2 engine!
Possible Mode Features (added through script files):
- Vehicle mode (including ability to make planes)
- Hide and Seek
- Digging and building
- Random terrain generator
- Parkour Doublejump/wall jump
- Customizable waves for wavemode /dmsp
- Ease of use for setup
- Client syncing for coop edit (all textures and models)*
- Server admin tools (permissions, editing boundaries)*
- Make goto more noticable and perhaps set a "home" waypoint to teleport*
- Forced getmap/sendmap/serverside*
- Heightmap editing on servers*
* Potential features. They need to be tried and tested for viability before released as actual features. Other methods may prove better.
- A full featured website coupled with the new sandbox to promote user interaction and project and portfolio sharing
- Dedicated documentation writers along with tutorials both text and video.
- Sandbox on Steam
Other Potential Features (based on budget and time constraints and viability):
- Machinima Movie/Story Creation
- God rays
- Better Shader Support and Editing Power
- Script Based Moving Entities and Particles
- Overwolf (teamspeak widgets)
- Improved mumble support
- More crossplatform? PSP, android, iphone/ipad, etc
- Packaged .exe?
- Social Media screenshot options? Posts to Site?
- Mods folder?
Mesh based LOD and image effects (depth of field)
- FBX support
- Easier model integration
- Video embedding
- HUD editor
- In game script editor
- 70k Occulus Rift Virtual Reality Support (How cool would it be to really feel like you have the power to shape and shift the world!!)
- 75k .FBX Support
- 85k Machinima/Movie Making Mode
- 90k Angelscript added to Free Edition
- 100k Destructible Environments
- 110k Removal of Ads from the webpage
- 120k Speedtree type system
- 130k Significantly Improve Ease Of Use For Importing Models (in game integration with Blender so models can be made in Sandbox?)
- 150k Many more exclusive Model Packs and textures!
- 200k Massive amount of scripts for AI, gamemodes, weapons, and anything else the community asks for!
- 750k Completely open source
Some of you maybe wondering how your money is going to be used! The largest portion will of course be going to our coders to put in all of awesome new features! I will be taking a significant paycut, only enough to help me cover my basic expenses through the process. Also an amount will go to Hirato for all of his help on Sandbox past and present! Also a portion will be going towards paying modelers and texture artists to add content that is commercially usable and viable! In addition there is money in the budget for some promotion and getting Sandbox on Steam. Finally there are IRS and Kickstarter expenses that need to be factored in. Funding that exceeds our goal will go towards paying my team to add more features and content!
Make sure to watch it in HD!