THRIVE: The Board Game of Geopolitics
THRIVE is a development-style game in which players manage their country amid a continually changing political and economic landscape.
The trusting past has led to a densely woven international trading network with the energy market at its center. Skepticism and fear have flooded the international political scene. Impending crisis has prompted world powers to escalate energy independence to a matter of national security and quick action must be taken. Not too quick though… poor decisions could drag a country to the brink of collapse. All world powers are simultaneously seeking security, and no one country’s decision ever goes without consequence. Take control, strategize, and maneuver your way to victory through a composite blend of dynamic geopolitics, economics and investment. But remember, your plan must be as innovative, versatile, and forgiving as the volatile energy market itself.
Imagine yourself the leader of your country’s energy future. Currently all of your country’s energy demand is being fueled internationally. It’s up to you to be the first of your like-minded neighbors to use all of your country’s resources and become energy independent. The goal of the game is to completely develop your country’s oil and renewable energy resources and have 21 developments before any other player. Players will need to strategize and re-strategize to capitalize on the changing political and economic situations while working with the natural energy accommodations of their country’s land.
- Developments: Energy developments are the basis for game play in THRIVE. Each player begins without any domestic energy developments. By investing in your country’s natural energy resources, you’ll both generate profits that enable purchases in the future as well as move your country forward towards independence. The more developments you add to your country the more profit you’ll make in return. The price of a development is based off the roll of the dice. Every game begins with the base price at $400, roll a 6 or bellow and the price will conveniently go down by $100, roll an 8 or above though, and the price will go up by $100. While rare, rolling a 2 will give a $200 decrease and a 12 will produce a $200 increase. Rolling a 7 represents a natural disaster and while the price doesn’t change, it will cause you to lose all developments from your most developed land plot.
- Country Cards (Shown Above): The countries that make up the game THRIVE are loosely based off real world countries in their geographies and the resources they have to offer. Every country is composed of 6 land plots, 3 on the coast and 3 inland. Each land plot has a number in the range 1-6 and a symbol marking it as an oil or renewable land plot. The number dictates how many developments that land plot can support. Each country has a different combination of types and number of each resource. Whether or not a certain combination serves to be a benefit or hinder is left up to the way in which the politics and patent cards influence the game.
- Patent Cards: Purchased through a bidding process, patents increase a player’s profits or his/her development speed. Each patent card features a technological advancement in the energy industry. Once a player purchases a patent, the patent is his/hers for the duration of the game, unless it is sold to another player or back to the patent office.
- Politics Cards: These introduce unbreakable rules and regulations by which the game is to be played. Politics cards can encourage, discourage, or restrict development. A new politics card is introduced at the beginning of each round. The effects of Politics cards compound for 4 consecutive rounds (simulating a presidential term). At the end of each presidential term, the four politics cards in play are removed and a new one is introduced into play.
- Loans: When profits alone are not enough, loans provide an alternative to keep development moving. Occasionally you might find yourself without enough money to make the move you want, and it may be a time to turn to the international bank for a loan. Borrow with care though... because interest is compounded and increases as your debt does. Debt must be paid off in full to win so don't let it spiral out of control!
Not only is THRIVE an extremely fun board game, but the situations and scenarios presented are based on real world events and discussions. This adds an education value not seen in many other euro style board games. The game acts as a simulator by introducing debt management with compound interest, adaptation to current political situations, and many new technologies currently being developed. This game shows how politics, economics, and natural geography can drive energy development in a country.
THRIVE will never be outdated! We will create future politics and patents cards based on new laws, technologies, and events that happen in the real world. These new cards would be made available for purchase or by a free download from our website in a printable version. After we get funded, be on the lookout for Snowden politics cards!
We are currently ready for production, with the exception of any new artwork that comes from Kickstarter rewards. Every aspect of the game is finalized from game play to shipping to choice of manufacturer; however, we lack the funds to actually make the physical game. This is where you come in. With your help, we can make THRIVE, in all its glory, with all its stretch goals. Once we get funded, manufacturing will begin immediately and our backers will receive all of their games by the holiday season. We can make this game happen, but we need your help to do so!
Throughout this Kickstarter campaign, we want to be as transparent as possible and make sure that all of our backers and potential backers know exactly where the project stands. So the following is a detailed schedule from now until you receive your rewards:
- September 10th: Kickstarter ends.
- September 10th-24th: Finalize any remaining artwork from rewards.
- September 24th: Receive funds.
- September 25th: Begin manufacturing process
- November 7th-25th: Receive games from manufacturer and begin shipping to backers!
- Money-Back Guarantee: If you decide you don't like THRIVE within the first month of receiving it, you can return it for a full refund, no questions asked.
- Early-Bird Discount: Our first 100 backers will the get the game for only $30. All additional backers will be able to get the game for $40 which is still discounted from the MSRP of $44.99. Additionally these prices include free shipping for US and only our backers will be able to get THRIVE by the holiday season.
- Kickstarter Backers Come First: Our backers are our blood. For THRIVE, that means you'll get your game before limited traditional distribution begins, and we will always be completely honest and transparent with you.
- Additional Games: If you would like extra copies of THRIVE on top of any reward level at $30 or above, you can add an additional $30 to your pledge. At the end of the funding period, we will send out a survey in order to ensure that you get the correct number of games you are entitled to.
- We Need Your Help: Our goal is to give you the best possible game that we can. We've covered the cost of the graphic design and art for THRIVE, but we can't manufacture and ship the game without your support.
Thrive has been blind play-tested extensively in both board game enthusiast communities and with casual and infrequent gamers. We found that on average in takes people 1.2 rounds to learn the game, and 1.6 rounds to develop a comprehensive strategy. This means you can actually play an exciting game the first time you play and the game can be learned incredibly quickly because of its simple mechanics and intuitive game play. We have had overwhelming positive feedback from these play test sessions; however, don’t trust reviewers, let THRIVE speak for itself! Download a print-at-home version of the rules and a demo version of the game content so you can play a few rounds at home.
To access the demo game content, follow the link above and scroll towards the bottom of the page, you will see the link on the right. Preview the artwork, get a feel for THRIVE before you decide to buy, and gain a competitive advantage by becoming an expert before your copy arrives. In addition, we will be hosting promotional demonstrations throughout the state of Colorado. Keep scrolling down or check the events page on our website to find out when THRIVE will be near you!
We will be hosting many game demonstrations throughout the state of Colorado while the Kickstarter Campaign is going on. Here is a list of the dates/times/locations of our upcoming events:
- Broomfield, Co: Total Escape Games on August 7th at 6 P.M.
- Boulder, Co: Karliquin's Game Knight on August 8th at 6 P.M.
- Broomfield, Co: Total Escape Games on August 14th at 6 P.M.
- Fort Collins, Co: Haunted Game Cafe on August 15th at 6 P.M.
- Boulder, Co: Gamer's Guild on August 17th at 2 P.M. (Tentative)
- Colorado Springs, Co: Petrie's Family Games on August 18th at 1 P.M.
- Broomfield, Co: Total Escape Games on August 21st at 6 P.M.
- Boulder, Co: Karliquin's Game Knight on August 22nd at 6 P.M (Tentative)
- Keep checking for additional events!
Risks and challenges
We are first timers here on Kickstarter and to the board game publishing industry; however, we have done extensive research and taken every step to mitigate potential risks. We have selected a manufacturer here in the United States to ensure quality control throughout the production process and have a quick turnaround time (no boat). Additionally we have been in discussions with the manufacturer for months and they are fully aware of this Kickstarter campaign and our holiday delivery target.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)