Use this space to cheer the creator along, and talk to your fellow backers.
Have a question?
Got mine yesterday when I arrived home from work! WOOOOO!
Received my package today in the USA.
@Peter cool, thanks! I'll keep an eye out.
@Kreg, Yes. The last rewards were posted on Saturday 30th April. I would expect the majority of International rewards to arrive by the end of next week, but a few may take a little longer depending on the postal system.
Have all of the U.S. packages been sent? I have yet to see anything, but I know international shipping can take a while...
This has been the best run Kickstarter I've ever backed. As far as I can tell there has been no problems, and not one negative comment. I received my package yesterday and it looks absolutely great. I won't hesitate backing another project you do.
Arrived today, everything looks great. Thanks very much.
Mine arrived Saturday, looking forward to giving it a run with a local crew
Mines arrived!!! Somerset UK!!
I received mine yesterday. Looks good, thanks.
Mine arrived today. Awesome pack. Love the quality of the work. Only just looking through now, but really glad I backed this project. Many thanks
Just dropped off the last batch of 23 rewards at the Post Office. The total is at 416/418. The last two backers haven't completed their surveys so I'll chase them up over the weekend.
I'll post an update in the next day or two, but right now I'm off for a morning blast round Martinshaw Woods on my MTB, followed by an afternoon of drinks and watching the Tour de Yorkshire on the TV
@Mike If you have any questions i'd be happy to answer them.
@Peter: keep it up! You're near the end! :)
Posted 80 today putting the total at 393/418.
@Mike, There's not an FAQ, but the Google+ Commumity has over 200 members and is a great place to ask about rules and share house rules etc..
Just received mine (I'm in Seattle). Is there a FAQ somewhere / forthcoming? I can't believe that Warriors get 1 attack per level.
Another 97 sent today. Total is now at 313/418. Great to hear the first batches are arriving.
Mine arrived!!! ☺
It a quality product
I keep Checking the post!! I'm not worried the other KS of yours I backed arrived!! I'm just excited!!!!
Sent off another 35 today. Total is at 216/418. I've got the next two days clear so will be doing nothing but posting rewards. Still aiming for completion by the end of the month.
Thank you, Peter, for the timely updates and the effort you are exerting to make all of this happen!
Another 46 posted today. Total is now at 181/418.
Just finished a late packing session ready for tomorrow. Posted another 30 (mostly larger rewards) earlier putting the total at 135/418.
Second batch of rewards went out today bringing the total to 105/418. I can't make it to the Post Office until Monday now so that's when the next batch will go. I've got a few days set aside next week though to make sure everything is posted by the end of the month.
@Peter, awesome!! Id order a few and give them to all my friends.
@Jason, I've got that on my list of possible things to include if we do a follow-up project.
any chance of a pocketbook print run for taking camping or spontaneous gaming and the like?
@Jake, no version 1.2 (the current PDF) needs a few small corrections so it matches the print copies. I'm just waiting for the print copies of Sorrowset to be delivered then once I've checked them we'll update all the PDFs to match exactly what was printed.
Did the final .pdf file get uploaded?
Hope you enjoy running Sorrowset - i'd love to hear how your session went!
Sorrowset is amazing. Thank you for this.
"Sorrowset is divided into numerous
meandering districts, each one named for
its most disappointing aspect."
I ran this for the first time last night, it's excellent, thanks so much!
@David Thank you! I've already sent you the translations :D
Hi Felipe - please email me the translations and i'll get something worked up for you - email@example.com
@Peter Awesome! Quick question: any chance you could create a Spanish version of at least the character sheet if I send you the appropriate translations?
Print file has been sent. The RPGNow PDF will get a final update to reflect a few small further corrections we made in the next day or two.
@Tom and GeoffreyS, Both of those have been picked up and are on the list to fix. Thanks for posting though as I'd rather we get multiple people spotting the same typos than missing one entirely.
On the same subject... If attacking with a ranged weapon, I'd houserule you BOTH roll to attack with a disadvantage AND roll to wound with the unarmed/improvised die for your class.
@Tom : it's my opinion that if you use a weapon you're not proficient with you have to roll the "unarmed/improvised" attack die for your class (which makes using said weapon totally useless). Alternatively you could roll to attack with a disadvantage?
Either way, I'd still roll with +2 to attack AND to wound if attacking with a 2 handed weapon.
One correction I may have round too : the armor value on p8 (magic items) seems not coherent with either p3 or p4.
Anyway good job for this! I am planning to play it with my kids in a few month.
Thanks so much for this, it's sooo close to the Platonic ideal of my personal fantasy heartbreaker!
Has anyone pointed out yet that in v1.1 the armour points in the small table on page 3 don't match those in the equipment table on page 4?
Also a question: Clerics are only proficient in Blunt weapons. Does this have any mechanical effect (because I don't see any rules for weapons having different effects (other than two-handed))?
Thank you for the continued efforts to spot corrections and for the ongoing rules discussions. I've collated all the corrections and as soon as they are done and checked we'll put up a final PDF and I'll post an update. After that we'll send the print files to the printer and focus on the micro-setting and GM's Screen.
Why is The Black Hack so good? Its simplicity enables us to run just about any OSR module without the typical array of tables, charts, and fiddly rules and bonuses. In addition, we can easily expand things in just about any direction, from the base it provides.
1. Need new character classes? Easy, just specify five things: hit die, weapons and armor, attack damage, a couple of special features that affect attacks, defenses, saves, or tasks, and a rule for leveling up. Done.
2. Need new spells? Easy, just translate spells from your favorite lists into a one-line description that incorporates TBH concepts, specifying three things: range (Close, Nearby, Far-Away, or Distant), duration (in Moments, Minutes, Hours, or Days), and effects (damage, bonuses to stats or rolls, OofA rolls, all perhaps conditioned on failing or making specific attribute tests).
3. Need new monsters? Easy, just translate monster stat block from your favorite sources into a one-line description that incorporates TBH concepts, specifying up to five things: hit die, special damage, special status effects (imposing additional damage through poison, zero movement through paralyzation, forced movement through fear, level drain, petrification, charm, disadvantage on key attribute tests), special defenses (backup shield, advantage on various attribute tests, damage or weapon immunities), and special abilities (teleport, flying, spells, burning aura, ranged attacks).
4. Think spellcasting is too easy? Get rid of spell slots and go full Vancian, having spellcasters always lose memorized spells upon casting, full stop. Think spellcasting is too hard? Don't add the spell level to the roll when testing if they've lost the spell.
5. Want superior variations of equipment? Up the usage die. Want inferior variations? Lower the usage die. Want more armor types? Invent some with different armor points, and perhaps giving some kind of advantage or disadvantage on some attribute tests.
6. Think PCs need more hit points on levelup? Give them a chance to pass a CON test to see if they automatically get max hp. Want PCs to have fewer hp? Erase the "+4hp" at first level, or only roll for hp every other level.
7. Armor points making the PCs too confident? Get rid of them.
The possibilities are endless, and this is a good reason to keep the 'base game' of The Black Hack very simple. It allows for these variations on the fly.
I'm liking the updated version even more than I liked the 1.0 version :-)
More armour points is a good thing in my book. And the simplifications to the character special powers is definitely the way forward.
@Greg totally makes sense now. Thx!
@Gregg, I think the Thief is rolling under DEX because he's trying to "dodge the Spiders vicious looking mandibles." Perhaps that is part of the stat block for the spider: the mandibles must be *dodged* with DEX or else the PC is poisoned. In that case, the stat block would trump the typical rules (as they always do). (Save against damage that can be dodged is done with DEX, per the "CONVERTING SAVES" table on p. 5.)
Of course, we don't have a stat block for the spider, as has been noted, so what do I know? :-)
I've left a lot of comments about the updated pdf in the update post itself, FWIW. (Rather than here, which is the general comments stream for the project itself.) That includes typos, and a list of what I take to be the changes from 1.0 to 1.1.
@Jason, the rule is: "Larger, more deadly weapons are handled simply by adding +2 to any dice rolled with them. They deal additional damage, but are also harder to hit with." The key word is "any". So you add +2 to the 'to hit' roll, meaning they're "harder to hit with" (as you're trying to roll low. But you *also* add +2 to the damage roll, so they "deal additional damage". Does that help? You add +2 to *any* roll you make with a two handed weapon, and sometimes that helps you but other times it doesn't.
ugh *two handed weapons*