The war is remembered in hushed whispers and dread. Humanity creating its own demons in the form of the weapons it forged. Though the conflict has long ended these dangers remain. Hong Kong is now one giant bazaar selling anything your heart desires. Encrypted black ice, tame plagues and multi-phase rifles are now sold alongside the flesh and crime of the old city. Those who look further still will find the true horrors hiding in the dark corners of the city and all have a price tag attached.
Only a select few walk this beat any more. One such soldier now works for the United Nations Weapon Inspection team, tasked with removing errant dangers from the public's possession.
Her name is King.
Due to the amazing support and success of this project I am happy to announce the stretch goals, with all three having now been met! So if your already backing me then thank you! If not then keep scrolling down to find out more about the book and join us on this awesome ride.
Grenade is a graphic novel that I am in the process of making. The core of the story follows the efforts of Inspector King as she and her partner strive to keep the cyberpunk city of Hong Kong safe. The future is filled with a wide array of fantastical and horrifying weapons and it is their job to protect the public and seize any such items.
I'm wanting to create a story that will capture the imagination and also give the reader a real journey through the future Hong Kong I'm illustrating. Filled of course with a colourful cast of heroes, villains and con-artists.
Here are the first few pages to give you a feel for the project.
The book itself will be 120-130 pages long, A5 sized (148mm x 210mm) and Hardcover. This is because I want to create something that will feel great in your hands as you settle down to read the finished product. The story within will be a stand alone tale. So there will be no hanging around or the sequel. Just a great story to enjoy on its own.
The reason I chose to use kickstarter is simple. I wanted to be to pitch my idea for a book straight to you, the reader. You're the only one I'm trying to impress with this idea. Rather than pitch to a publisher I want you to be the reason I'm working on this, pure and simple.
I've been drawing since I was little and drawing comics on the small press scene for almost 10 years. I have grown in that time and now my work will soon be appearing in Image Comics "Island". I have also self published a range of comics including my series "The Sea" and "Tuk Tuk".
Raised and living in Sheffield in the UK I studied graphic design and now work or myself as an illustrator/comic artist. The only thing I've been doing as long as I have been into drawing is roleplaying. So I guess I'm a terminal geek...
We all know the book is the thing but your probably wondering what about the other things offered in the rewards.
Also as a side note where it reads Tyrant in the rewards this is in reference to the old name of the book. The book will be exactly the same just named Grenade.
- Well every tier will receive a digital copy of the finished book just as soon as it is finished. I will also be emailing out sneak peeks and pages on a regular email to all backers while I work through the project.
- The postcard sized prints will have 5 different designs and will be printed on high quality card stock. The illustrations will be solely on these prints and will only be available through the Kickstarter.
- A personalised drawing in your book. This will be an ink sketch of your fine self or your avatar, drawn as though you are a part of the Grenade world, on the inside cover of the book.
- The character illustrations on reward five will be full length Illustrations of a character of your choosing. It could be from my book, your book, a roleplaying character or anyone really. You will receive the original pencils with your book and an email containing the finished colour version in high res.
- The A3 (420mm x 297mm) can be anything you want. As with the previous reward you will be sent the original pencils along with your book and an email with the finished colour version.
- The Final reward tier is the chance for up to 5 people to role-play in a custom written adventure set in the world of Grenade. You will create your own character and explore Hong Kong under the guidance o myself as GM. I will run the game over Skype for your group or if you are in the uk I will come to you if your prefer. Along with this I will illustrate your characters for the game and of course you'll all get your copy of the book too. So why not share the cost and come adventuring.
Risks and challenges
The main risk I face on this project is that this will be the biggest book I have made to date. Though I have plenty of experience on smaller projects, this will be the most time consuming. Though I am confident that any problems due to this can be overcome through the support of the network of friends I know who have produced similar books.
Also given the page count there is always the risk that I could fall behind. I plan to keep in regular contact with all my backers and keep them up to date with my progress so they can see the project evolve.
Though I am new to Kickstarter I have almost ten years of self publishing experience behind me as I work on this project and the support of great friends.
- (30 days)