A high efficiency heat exchanger that reclaims thousands of watts from your dryer exhaust! Built-in intelligent electronic controller.
Please help us build an intelligent open appliance heat exchanger to improve efficiency and save energy! This project will reclaim countless wasted kWh per year from appliances such as:
- Hot water heaters
- Heating Units
We hope you can see the benefit of this project towards a sustainable lifestyle, energy efficiency, and the energy economy.
- High efficiency bar & plate heat exchanger technology borrowed from expensive race car intercooler designs for high flow rate, handles hundreds of degrees, and high pressure.
- Easily cleaned stainless steel fine mesh lint filter in the inlet.
- Standard 4" duct inlet and outlet manifolds.
- High efficiency sensor driven electronic fan controller unit .
- Demoed saving more than 2600 Watts!
Appliance waste heat is an inefficient use of energy resources that could be improved with the use of simple robust technologies for energy reclamation. This project was motivated by a few facts:
- The rising cost of energy causing financial burdens during seasonal heating.
- The economic impact of wasting energy and using fossil fuel resources inefficiently.
- Thousands of kW are being wasted by appliance waste heat.
A Simple Yet Powerful Idea
Passive heat exchangers have existed for energy reclamation, gaining popularity in recent years due to rising energy cost. We've made a smarter, less expensive, active heat exchanger.
This intelligent heat exchanger is an open hardware, open source solution for reclaiming energy from home appliances. It is inexpensive and utilizes the most advanced core construction. We've implemented a thin walled bar and plate heat exchanger with turbulator fins to maximize efficiency.
With a built in electronic controller it measures the temperature of the heat exchanger and compares it to the room air temperature. If the controller senses there is energy to be reclaimed, it activates a quiet, high efficiency fan to draw the heat out of the exchanger fins. This means the fan only runs when there is energy to be saved, greatly improving system efficiency.
- The intelligent heat exchanger is a great way to save on your home heating bill in the winter by reclaiming lost energy from appliances.
- The intelligent controller does its job quietly, and only when there is energy to be saved.
- Reduces burden on home heating equipment.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
Thank you for support the development of a product to save wasted energy!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
We'll send you the bill of materials and instructions on how to assemble your own intelligent dryer heat exchanger. We'll also include the electrical schematics for the controller.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $149 or moreYou selected
Intelligent controller, temperature sensors, and the high efficiency fan. You can build your own heat exchanger devices for larger equipment or your own creative ideas using our controller!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $299 or moreYou selected
DIY kit containing all the components, parts, and fan controller. This kit is nearly at-cost for all the components and lets you save money by assembling your own system!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $399 or moreYou selected
We'll send you a fully built ready-to-install intelligent heat exchanger. This unit will pay for itself by providing you clean recaptured heat that otherwise would be lost to the atmosphere.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $699 or moreYou selected
Put one on your dryer and your gas water heater, or get creative with capturing exhaust heat from other appliances! We'll send you two fully built ready-to-install intelligent heat exchangers at a $100 discount. These will pay for themselves by providing you clean recaptured heat that otherwise would be lost to the atmosphere.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)