I wanted to grab your attention for a moment before the rush of the holidays kicks in, or has that already started?
Since our last update nearly six months ago, FROM THE SKY has continued on the festival circuit, receiving 3 additional awards, 10 more official selections at festivals, and 1 special mention at a festival in Spain this month.
The film largely concluded its festival run in October, which was also the busiest month for FROM THE SKY to date, when it played six film festivals during that period as well as a filmmaker-curated screening event. The final screening in October was a true high note, to be selected as one of only 10 films in the Pro Shorts category at the highly regarded Savannah Film Festival. And since I appear to have an attraction to numbers, you might be happy to know that FROM THE SKY received a total of 12 awards, 5 nominations, and more than 25 official selections during the year and a half festival circuit run, including invitations to 2 Oscar-qualifiers and 11 film festivals from MovieMaker Magazine's 'Best of' lists. All of that is to say, it's been an incredible response to this story we created together.
As the title of this post suggests, the film is transitioning as the year draws to a close.
1) We're largely bringing the film festival submission process to a close, though a few pending submissions remain.
2) FROM THE SKY is back online (again) and free to watch on Vimeo and Youtube. If you would like to see it again or are willing to share it with your community, we'd appreciate it!
- FROM THE SKY on Vimeo (720p HD): https://vimeo.com/107967652
- FROM THE SKY on YouTube (1080p HD): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd-schYrv5k
3) The film arrived back online at an interesting time, just weeks after The Intercept published the drone papers leak, and just days before four drone operators came out as whistle-blowers to speak about their experience. We believe the film remains as timely as it was when this journey began in 2013. If you happen to have connections to media or commentators who might be interested in discussing, promoting, or covering FROM THE SKY, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. As an example, I recently appeared to discuss the film and related topics on Seattle radio, which you can listen to here if interested: http://brokentelegraph.com/ian-interviewed-on-seattle-radio/
4) Similarly, we remain open to invitations to screen the film. If you happen to know potentially interested parties in academic, political, religious, or activist circles, please let us know at email@example.com.
5) We're in discussions to take the film to screen on different formats in the new year and will share that news if and when things happen.
Elsewhere, the cast and crew continue to make strides in their creative work through new projects, and I am developing a TV series with FROM THE SKY editor Eric Frith, and working to put together the story for another short film.
We'll be in touch. Until then, happy holidays, and thank you again for giving to make this film a reality.