The star fell from the heavens, its long red tail ripping the sky like a bloody, dripping wound. All eyes of the tribe—mutant, manimal, and plantient alike—were transfixed by the resulting explosion seen far off in the horizon.
Some proclaim this is the Second Death, foretold within the Ancient Prophecy. But one venerable sentient redwood recognizes it as the Sky Ark of the Ancients, whose mysteries must be explored before they can be exploited by the tribe’s enemies. What perils and mysteries will lay within the Sky Ark? Only the heartiest of your species have a chance of surviving the dangers that accompany the arcane ancient technology developed by the Children of the Fallen Sun.
Children of the Fallen Sun is a new Mutant Crawl Classics RPG adventure for 1st level characters. It will be released in both print and PDF. The standard print version will be a digest-sized, saddle-stitched booklet with soft-back, color cover and black & white interior. The adventure is 10K words, which should work out to be between 36-40 pages once art is finalized and layout is complete. The page count could grow a bit depending on the success of the Kickstarter campaign allowing us to add new art.
About Mutant Crawl Classics RPG
Mutant Crawl Classics Role Playing Game (MCC RPG) is a new post-apocalyptic fantasy game published by Goodman Games. It is a world of mutant humanoids, manimals, and pure strain humans scratching out an existent by exploring the scorched and ruined world of Terra A.D. The PCs seek artifacts and adventure left behind by the Ancients in the ruins still standing after the Great Disaster.
The creators of MCC RPG have made the game 100% compatible with Goodman Game's wildly successful Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game (DCC RPG), and players of DCC RPG will immediately feel comfortable with the rules.
The adventure is loaded with the goodies. Filthy spoilers ahead, so if you’re planning on enjoying the adventure as a player, you may want to skip this next section:
- The adventure opens with a few “in the desert wastes” encounters before the PC's arrive at a downed craft constructed by the Ancients which is where the bulk of the adventure takes place.
- The adventure consists of approximately 16 locations, and includes a mix of combat encounters and “puzzles” to solve. And I mean “puzzles” in the MCC sense of the word, where the PCs will have the opportunity to interact with ancient technology sometimes with amusing, yet deadly, effects.
- The PCs will have the opportunity to interact with new mutant races, 2 new alien races, and interact with two new Patron AIs. As they interact with these NPCs and locations, they will slowly uncover the mystery as to what caused the spacecraft to crash.
Additional material included in the adventure appendix:
- 9 new artifacts
- 1 new mutation
- 3 new monster descriptions
Stretch Goal Material
All the stretch goal content will be delivered in PDF format. Once the stretch goal material is created, it will be delivered as a separate PDF document. The stretch goal material should be ready between 3 and 4 months after the delivery of the adventure.
The adventure has reached the following milestones:
- Writing of the adventure is complete and has been play tested at several conventions including Gen Con 2016, Gary Con 2016, and Gary Con 2017.
- Cover art and several interior illustrations (by FRK Pyron, Stefan Poag, Danny Prescott) are complete.
- A deliciously illustrated map and back cover illustration by Mario Torres is complete.
Upon successful funding of the Kickstarter, work will begin on creating the additional Patron AIs as well as the stretch goal add-on adventure. Status updates on the progress of these activities will be regularly provided to sponsors.
The goal of the Kickstarter is to raise funds to expand the main product with additional art, and finance creating the add-ons to flesh out the patrons and stretch goal mini-adventure.
What's a Kickstarter without stretch goals? As mentioned, I’d like to flesh out the adventure with some additional material to infuse the package with additional MCC goodies. This is where the bulk of the raised funds will be spent. This material will be written by Stephen Newton and Daniel J Bishop. The stretch goals will be delivered in a separate PDF after the delivery of the adventure module. The expected delivery date of the stretch goal PDF is May 2018.
- At $2000: Additional interior artwork by FRK Pyron and others to fill out the adventure.
- At $2500: HERA: a full patron write up of the HERA AI.
- At $3000: ADEONA: a second, full patron write up of ADEONA AI.
- At $4000: a new 4000-word mini adventure.
Risks and challenges
Thick Skull Adventures has been publishing RPG adventures in both print and PDF format for six years. As the initial adventure is complete, the most likely risk would be timing delays for the stretch goal material in PDF format.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (22 days)