THE ULTIMATE GAME OF COPS AND ROBBERS BROUGHT TO YOU BY DEVELOPERS BEHIND: GTA & WIP3OUT.
THE ULTIMATE GAME OF COPS AND ROBBERS BROUGHT TO YOU BY DEVELOPERS BEHIND: GTA & WIP3OUT. Read more
About this project
The concept for Criminalympics is a modern adaptation of the classic Track and Field games packed full of new game design features and with an added criminal twist.
The slapstick and humorous game show format is simple; chose your criminal champion and compete in unique but challenging sporting events to reduce your sentence. Develop your character, climb up through the worlds most wanted leagues and have a laugh at your friends' expense!
The project, which was originally devised for xbox in 2002, has had an illustrious history involving many familiar names from the games industry today.
--Funny presentation video--
Make sure you check out our facebook page - Criminalympics - The Developer Diaries to find out more info on it's history and take a look at some of the original assets.
What Machine is it for?
- Initially PC, Mac and Linux platforms will be supported
- Hopefully XBLA and PSN.
What type of game is it?
- 1-4 players
- 3rd person view
- The core of the gameplay is multi-player; either Player vs. Player or Player vs. CPU. Players will either compete simultaneously in track style events, or take turns competing in field style events.
- The primary control mechanisms are PC controller or keyboard.
How would you describe the game?
An edge of your seat, reality TV, sporting Game show set within a maximum security prison aka 'Track and Field with Criminals'!
What does it look like?
- Characters will be rough and ready archetypes; events will be done like an edition of Police Camera Action or America's Most Wanted.
- Pseudo realistic environments with tongue in cheek humour.
- The Ghettos that the state chooses to forget about and real estate developers want tearing down.
- Police Camera Action is a good example of the aims of Criminalympics; with contrived, over the top crimes committed by throw away 'death row' inmates, who are used as puppets to entertain wealthy officials. Events are stylised as pseudo-realistic environments without conveying actual real world settings. Prime time viewing at its best.
- The serious yet fun art style is well suited to this particular game as it throws some light relief on the subject matter. The general feeling of the game is one of tongue-in-cheek, edgy humour leaving the player with a sense of satisfaction at watching the contestants torment, from the comfort of their own home.
What does it sound like?
- The cacophony of police sirens and alarms; real life city ambiance with the odd scream and explosion thrown in for good luck. The buzz of police and criminal activity. Reality TV blips and sound check problems coupled with the primal nature of prime time news reporting.
- We'll be including professionally written tracks and sound effects to give the game a unique high quality audio experience.
- You will laugh your ass off!
- It's entertainment at its best!
- It’s unique – ‘you've never seen anything like this before’.
- Control one of the world’s most dangerous criminals from the safety of your own home and play online with your friends in multiplayer mode.
- Develop your very own criminal.
- Reward system and on-line Criminal Leagues to become the world's most wanted.
- Unique Characters with specific animation sets and special moves.
- Original Soundtrack – Gritty urban hip hop beats.
- Classic ‘Track and field’ mode for button bashing fun.
- Challenging crime themed levels all with a simple addictive pick up and play control mechanic.
- Escape with the loot and avoid getting savaged by the dogs in the Smash and Grab Event - Battle through the competition and escape in the getaway car!
- Set things on fire and give the health and safety guys a headache in The Molotov Cocktail Throw! Rack up those insurance costs.
- Teach the lying scum bag a lesson they will never forget in the Witness Removal! Extra points for breakages and abrasions. Largest medical bill wins.
- Take the plunge and get to the finishing line before you drown or get eaten by sharks, in the Swimming with Concrete Boots game! Swim like a mad man to avoid danger and stop your character from drowning!
- Outwit the Police Chopper in the Roof Top Pursuit event. Watch out for those pesky snipers and make sure to bring an extra pair of pants!
- Make your escape in The Border Cross.
- Become a human gecko in the Cat Burglar event.
- Set a new record Prison wall vault, or get savaged by the dogs.
- Combine your skills in the Break-out event.
- Rob the bank and loose the cops down the alleyways in The Bank Job.
- Wrestle the purse from the victim and leap to safety in the Draw Bridge Dash!
*more swag images coming soon
In 2020, the USA, declared itself bankrupt; handing over control to the newly formed and corporate led ‘Council for Corporate Well-being'. The appointment of the new government triggered a wave of violent and bloody clashes between the public and state officials lasting several months. All those indicted of rioting and criminal activity against the CCW were convicted without trial and banished to Staten Island, a newly formed high security concentration camp nicknamed ‘The Ghetto’ by its inmates. The inmates themselves became known as the ‘walking dead’.
Several years later, in response to the CCW’s request for a TV show to back its new ‘The Company is Your Friend’ campaign, CrimeTimeTV commissioned Staten Island Law Enforcement Teams to stage a new annual reality TV sporting event, centred on its inmates. The idea was simple, after selection trials, each criminal champion would be given the chance to compete for time taken off their life sentence. But first they must take part in a series of crime themed 're-education' events. The goal of each event was to show the criminal the error of his or her ways and provide the law enforcement officials with a means to deliver some justified punishment for the benefit of the viewing public!
At the end of the games the overall champion would be awarded the right to be re-conditioned. As a show of gratitude, medal winners and record achievers from the staged events would be allowed to enjoy a degree of celebrity stardom amongst the other inmates. High achievers would also be given the opportunity to compete in the following years games.
REMEMBER: "The Company is fair, The Company is your friend"!
Criminalympics is now in its third year and has climbed the TV ratings tables to dominate all the network TV listings. Its multi-award winning format has attracted a worldwide audience and inspired countless spin of shows though its syndication and association with other corporate led governments.
Are you brave enough to compete against the worlds criminal elite for a chance at freedom?
In all seriousness, Landslide Studios is a made up of a team of dedicated artists, designers, animators and developers who have a passion for creating high quality, fun games.
Each member of the team has considerable experience of the processes involved in game development through direct industry experience in the gaming field. With experience from Team 17 and Rockstar Games we know what it takes to develop a great game and make it work for the fans.
Credited titles the team at Landslide Studios has worked on in the past:
- Grand Theft Auto - Vice City Stories
- Grand Theft Auto - Liberty City Stories
- Midnight Club
- Leisure Suit Larry - Box Office or Bust
- Alien Breed
- Lemmings Revolution
With all your generous donations we will be able to start a revolution. To help us breathe new life into a concept that has suffered at the hands of the suits! We want to bring you a game that's jam packed full of FUN! It's up to you to decide the shows running order, and it's up to you to help us be a thorn in the side of all those that have made this journey so hard. We represent independent no-holds barred creativity and we will stay true to those principles - it you agree to help us! Join the revolution today and feel good about yourself.
If we reach the target of £100,000 we will use it to set up the foundations for the game and to create a fully polished version of the first event; this will be released as a stand alone title with further events added as soon possible.
Should we meet this and secure the level of investment we're hoping for, we'll include all 10 events with the initial development. This will put us in a very strong position to push Criminalympics in the right direction. Each event is a full game in its own right, all housed in the juicy package that is the Criminalympics game show. We hope, with your help, to make a big splash with this concept – your kind donations will be used wisely to make sure we deliver you the best possible gaming experience.
Q: So what do we get for our money? You might ask.
A: Well, along with all the juicy extras, you would get all the events that come under the total amount pledged! That’s the potential to have up to 10 games exclusively delivered to you for only £10!
Kickstarter was the first platform we thought of when we decided to re-launch Criminalympics and the reason for that decision was YOU, the gamers. We love the idea of designing a game alongside the very people we are making it for and hopefully, together, we can come up with something awesome that everyone want's to play.
We would love you to become a valued member of the team, if you would like to help us in our quest to, 'stick it to the man', you can 'like' our special Criminalympics - Developer Diaries Facebook page where you can find out all the juicy gossip on the history behind the concept. Be prepared to be shocked until you puke!!
Risks and challenges
Criminalympics is a proven concept, with a great deal of history and the potential to become a true gaming classic. The main challenge for us will be focusing the already established raw potential that this product has but in a way that meets with the high expectations that are now shared between ourselves and the many fans of the concept.
The game's design has been through years of refinement, listening to feedback from investors and publishers, who have tried to restrain some of our wackier, and slightly more controversial, ideas. We now want to take the concept down a route were creativity isn't defined by margins and gantt charts.
The challenge we have is proving to you that simple fun gameplay still has a place in today's games market! We regularly laugh our asses off in design meetings and can’t wait to involve you in that process!
The team at Landslide have the experience and talent to make all of this happen and also have access to award winning talent from other areas of the creative media industry that share our passion for Criminalympics and will do anything they can to help us make this happen!
We have the resources available to give you what you want but In order to fulfill this obligation we will be looking to get the end user involved from an early stage, working with you to help refine the final product.
We want to put the value you provide into the very heart of the project. Our experience with commercial projects should make this process relatively easy and we have some very high level studio contacts with whom we would like to collaborate.
This is all about you and the direction you want to take the game. We are ready to listen; we just need your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The market expects an extremely high degree of quality, and the expectations set by massively funded and commercially successful AAA titles are such that to deliver something mediocre would mean the end of the IP. We are entirely realistic about the challenge we face. We would prefer to cost this as a full production professional development rather than try to do develop it to a restrictive budget. I don't think the Kickstarter Crowd would expect anything less. Whilst the game is simple in nature, we want to showcase it with the very best graphics, design and animation possible – it needs to 'wow' people, only on a smaller scale to those titles with budgets in the £1m's. The investment will be spent on establishing those values and giving the IP the best possible start!
We are currently looking into the feasibility of producing a Linux version of Criminalympics and although we are using the Unity 3D engine; which supports the Linux platform, it is a fairly new inclusion and one that we have not yet fully tested. We do plan to include Linux but are waiting to confirm this publicly until we know more.
The best thing that has come from our listing of Criminalympics so far has been all the feedback and exposure. Each and every comment has helped us understand our target market a bit better. To us, Kickstarter is a platform for building upon ideas in line with what the gaming public want and not what 'we' or anyone else thinks they want!
From our experience of initiating the campaign you never can quite anticipate the reaction from the crowd and never underestimate the amount of PR work involved. We have a concept that has all the potential to go viral and we had expected a fairly immediate uptake. The amount of work that will go on behind the scenes now to keep on top of everything is likely to be a full time job in itself!
Support this project
- (40 days)