Welcome to Erotic Review's Kickstarter page for their 21st anniversary edition: ER21!
We are raising £23,750 and are offering – for four weeks only – exclusive editions of this beautiful book; Not just a great addition to your library (or bedside table) but ER21 will make the perfect gift for lovers on Valentine's Day!
History of the Erotic Review
In1994 ER Books (then The Erotic Print Society) was born, publishing limited-edition prints, soon abandoning prints in favour of books. The next year, 1995, Jamie Maclean started up a quarterly newsletter, the Erotic Review, later handing over the editorship to Rowan Pelling, who went on to create a monthly magazine with a 30,000 circulation.
A long list of contributors over the years has included Stephen Bayley, Alain de Botton, Kate Copstick, Nick Curtis, Ian Dunt, AC Grayling, Jonathon Green, Barry Humphries, Rod Liddle, Murray Lachlan Young, DBC Pierre, Toby Young and Belle de Jour - Dr Brooke Magnanti.
What we are hoping to do:
To celebrate our 21st anniversary we want to produce an exquisite book – ER21 – that revisits some of the best articles and images that we’ve ever published. We’d like it to reflect the way Erotic Review has often been regarded: original, diverse and provocative. Our writers and illustrators have looked at sexuality and relationships in a way that is intelligent, witty and often quite subversive.
So the search was on for the person who could employ all of these attributes; someone who could think outside the box, a little anarchic, even, and with brilliant vision – in other words – a damned fine book designer.
We were incredibly lucky to find Ben Freeman of ditto and luckier still that he has embraced our project with such enthusiasm and enjoyment. Ben is the creative director at Ditto and Future Artefacts, and art directs The Mushpit magazine. He has been involved with independent publishing and subculture since the early 90s. Ben says: “I remember the Erotic Review from my misspent youth, and I’m really grateful for this opportunity to introduce the publication to a new audience and to discover some treasures in their archive”
We think it will be a fantastic book: ER21 will be in two printed editions, the Library Edition, limited to 1,500 and the Gold Edition, limited to just 350 copies. Just some of the writers we hope to include will be cultural critic Stephen Bayley; actor and critic, Kate Copstick; editor of Politics.co.uk, Ian Dunt; 'Mr. Slang' lexicographer, Jonathon Green; author and biographer, Lisa Hilton and ER’s most famous 'editrix' Rowan Pelling amongst others. And the following are just some of the artists whose work we will be showcasing: Aubrey Beardsley; Illustrator Michael Faraday; photographer Michael Alan Grapin and Japanese artist Masaya Yoshioka.
For the cover we will be commissioning a tattoo artist to hand draw a unique design.
What will your contribution support?
We need to raise £23,750 which will enable us to publish this work. We want you to be a part of a collaborative approach to making this happen. We are currently a free on-line magazine supported entirely by voluntary contributions from writers and artists. Whilst we are hoping to raise enough funds to produce the anniversary book any additional funds will go towards bringing us back into print. We think Erotic Review has even greater relevance now than when we started it more than two decades ago.
Pledge today and you can enjoy one of many rewards on offer (see examples below):
- Reward 3 - Pledge £20
Reward No. 5 - An erotic lithographic print, limited to an edition of 350 copies, each numbered by hand. (Size: 210x297 mm) by one of the following artists: Franz von Byros, Michael Faraday, Vivant Denon or Jean Dulac; library edition of ER21 and e-book edition - pledge £50 or more
- Reward No. 6 - A beautiful, gold on gold limited edition hand numbered, 300, hardback of ER21 - Pledge £50 or more
- Reward No. 7 - This year we joined up with publisher Head of Zeus and presenter and critic Mariella Frostrup to create an anthology of erotic short fiction: Desire. Many of our authors feature and the book will be published on October 6, 2016. 2 erotic prints (see artists above) of your choice and library edition of ER21 - pledge £75 or more
- Reward No. 9 – Limited edition print of one of the Erotic Review's magazine cover, signed by the artist (there are several choices and 2 are shown above in the History of ER section) - a hardback copy of Desire, and a limited gold edition, hand numbered, 300, copy of ER21 - Pledge £250 or more
- Reward No. 11 - A gold, limited edition, copy of ER21. 1st edition hardback of Desire: 100 of Literature's Sexiest Stories chosen by Mariella Frostrup and the Erotic Review. An erotic lithographic print, limited to an edition of 10 copies, each signed and numbered by the artist, Sylvie Jones. – Pledge £500 or more
- Reward No. 12 - A gold edition of ER21; a 1st edition hardback of Desire: 100 of Literature's Sexiest Stories chosen by Mariella Frostrup and the Erotic Review. An original watercolour by Sylvie Jones (2 details are shown but there are 10 available so do contact us to see the rest) - Pledge £750 or more
Risks and challenges
There is always an element of risk when undertaking to publish a book of this nature, but we are an experienced team and are wholly confident that we can deliver our book on time and on budget for Valentine's Day 2017.
If for any reason there are setbacks, then we will keep you informed every step of the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)