Missed the Kickstarter? No Problem! Join the Adventure through our Website at www.DragonThronesGame.com
Feel free to Message us Anytime on Kickstarter or through our website.
July 7th - July 9th 2017
Bryn Mawr College "Castle Bryn Mawr"
Bryn Mawr, PA
All complete Game Theatre weekend!
"Game Theatre" is a new and specialized live action role-play (larp) hybrid combining larp with tabletop gaming mechanics, and theatrical experiences, to create an immersive social adventure.
Enter a thrilling realm of high medieval adventure at America's signature Gothic architecture campus, Bryn Mawr College. Travel to Castle Bryn Mawr to pledge your loyalty to one of the Grand Kingdoms of The Dragon Thrones! You will strive with your Kingdom team to unite all the Dragon Thrones under your divine crown, or, if Draconian, you will attempt to overrun the realm with your dragon/human hybrid Clan to once again rule the lands that were taken from your ancestors millennia ago.
Lore (Story) + Location Video
Dragon Thrones is a medieval fantasy inspired immersive weekend experience by The Game Theater. We've crafted a new universe where rival kingdoms are waging war over the magical and mythical Dragon Thrones. Each throne is imbued with the power of an ancient Elder Dragon, god-like beings who once ruled the realm of Cambria with their own race of Draconians, while humanity was relegated to being their lowly subjugated serfs and slaves. However, following a momentous revolution, humanity vanquished the Draconians and inherited their vast power, a power that is infused within each Dragon Throne.
Dragon Thrones uses a larp-hybrid system called "Game Theatre" to uniquely combine larp, social deduction, and a MegaGame together to tell a grand story of the return to war.
This immersive weekend experience also includes:
- thematic entertainment
- immersive installations for side quests
- a custom "escape room"
- "sandbox" scavenger hunt quests
- medieval university training in war & strategy, diplomacy, and lore.
- night role-play game missions (played in character)
- evening medieval "casino" card gaming for gold & prizes
As your customized character YOU will strive to achieve your various personal, team, and global objectives over an amazing weekend adventure!
Listen to our podcast with TireKickers Network about the Game!
Read the teaser Blog Post (from our Bryn Mawr writers) about the Origins of the story behind Castle Bryn Mawr and Dragon Thrones!
Never done something like this before?
No Problem! We have experienced staff to guide you. No experience needed! Dragon Thrones is for any experience level (even beginners). YOU choose what you want to do and how involved you want to be at every stage. We're just very happy to have you on board!
Trust that you will have an outstanding time building this new world with us. You will have many decision making opportunities as your "Role." Game Theatre is a unique social/event design that gives everyone meaningful choices for their own unique social experience. Game Theatre works for everyone, no matter their experience level!
We have a rich admiration of medieval fantasy, larp, social deduction & tactical gaming, and renaissance faires. Therefore, we decided to ambitiously combine all of these elements into one massive blockbuster Game Theatre experience.
Dragon Thrones is the result of an ambitious dream to create an all-inclusive weekend that tells an epic story through Game Theatre. We seek to forge lasting memories by having our valued players launch a new world with the stories they create and share.
Firstly, the Kickstarter community is one of the greatest contributors to creating amazing events. Being able to work together with Backers, listening to their feedback about what they love most about larp and gaming will help make this project even better.
The funding from this Kickstarter will help us begin purchasing props and booking entertainers. Moreover, as this Kickstarter gains backers, it will provide us the funding to expedite our production schedule. All funding will be immediately channeled into the sets (large props) that will compliment the location to transform an already majestic campus into a living, breathing fantasy realm.
Additionally, funding will allow us to cast and commit early to our Game Masters, performers, and staff that will be required to offer our player guests a truly all-inclusive weekend escape. Top staff is extremely important to have all game needs met, every question is timely answered, and every creative contribution by our players are honored and impacted into the story and game.
Your involvement will help shape the world of Dragon Thrones! Backing this campaign will allow you the first choice over the team allegiances and character roles. After the campaign, backers will be provided with full surveys to help create your characters, choose family kingdoms and other major customizable options to help shape the world you helped create.
Backers will be the first to know of all developments and bookings. We will also most likely send you surveys on what types of entertainment you'd like and storyline developments as well. Your feedback will include you in vital decisions that will be made while finalizing the weekend and the many epic experiences that will be had. In Dragon Thrones, YOU decide!
A short note on Pledge Level pricing: The Pledges in this campaign for "The Explorer", "The Adventurer", "The Hero", "The Lord/Lady", and "The King/Queen" are all LIMITED Early Bird Discounted Pledge Levels.
"The Explorer" $450
As a Highborn Explorer, you will Travel with your Family Kingdom to Castle Bryn Mawr to save the Realm or conquer it!
Includes EVERYTHING in "The Adventurer" pledge Below, except the following 2 differences:
1. The Explorer is a Double Occupancy room ticket. This means you and your friend can each get a ticket and room together, or you can be assigned to someone you meet during the weekend to room together.
2. Props or costumes are not included with this pledge. However, you will be loaned a simple costume piece that will display your family colors/crest
*See "The Adventurer" BELOW for all included features not listed above!
"The Adventurer" $575
(Highborn Early Bird Reduced Price Ticket)
As a Highborn Adventurer you will Travel with your Family Kingdom to Castle Bryn Mawr to save the Realm or conquer it!
- 3 Days, 2 Nights at Castle Bryn Mawr in the fantasy Realm
- Private Single Dormitory Room accommodations (shared rooms available upon request)
- 5 Full Meals, plus dine like nobility in the "Sir Thomas Hall": the Dragon thrones Medieval Hall!
- Customizable Character with unique objectives that will advance into future campaigns.
- Character development, objectives, and meaningful choices within the MegaGame to simulate the overarching war. (Help make decisions with your team that control troops/armies and diplomatic missions as well as heroes that are in the field!)
- The ability to make an impact on the MegaGame's direction through your own actions
- Custom Costume Item that represents your Kingdom/Faction/Family's Team
- Admission with your chosen group to the "Draconian Ancient Mage's Library": a Dragon Thrones Escape Room experience. (With in-game useful prizes!)
- "The Moon Board": an Immersive Installation Experience
- "Questing": The Bryn Mawr "Sandbox" side quests, medieval gaming challenges, and other immersive experiences that take place throughout the stone structures and picturesque grounds of the campus.
- Entertainment throughout the entire weekend including music, dancing, and other performance arts.
- Specialized Medieval University training classes, including diplomacy, strategy, dancing and more!
- The Grand Tournament: Cheer your Kingdom's live-action fighting hero to victory!
Everything in "The Adventurer" pledge level ($575) is included in "The Explorer" pledge level ($450) except for difference in room type and props/costumes inclusion difference. See notes in The Explorer above.
"The Hero" Pledge $725
As a Highborn Hero you will inspire your Family Kingdom at Castle Bryn Mawr either to save the Realm or conquer it!
Tier 1 Upgraded Ticket
Early Backer Kickstarter Pricing - Be a Hero in our world of Adventure.
The Hero receives everything featured for the Adventurer ticket plus these added features:
- Gain a Thematic Leadership role in the grand game!
- Gain additional "in game" starting resources.
- Gain a Larp weapon of your choice (types are TBD)
- A customized costume Tabard or Cloak to designate your family team allegiance.
Note: We do have double rooms available and can try to group players who are friends together if desired. Contact us for Information.
"The Lord or Lady" Pledge $875
As a Highborn Lord or Lady you will take responsibility over your Family Kingdom at Castle Bryn Mawr either saving the Realm or conquering it!
Early Backer Kickstarter Pricing - Become High Nobility in our world of Adventure.
The Lady / Lord receives all of the features of the Adventurer and Hero ticket plus these added features:
- Premium Royal customized costume Tabard or Cloak to designate your family team allegiance.
- Premium Larp weapon of your choice (types are TBD)
- Bottle of Dragon Thrones Mead
- Gain a Thematic Family Kingdom council seat!
- Larger private room in the Royal Wing (if human) or Draconian Ancient Stone Barracks (if Draconian)
- Be a Thematic adviser to the Queen / King
- Note: We may have Tier Two upgraded double rooms available and can try to group players who are friends together if desired. (Contact for information)
"The High Ruler - King or Queen" Pledge $1275
As a High Ruler you will Lead your Family Kingdom to Castle Bryn Mawr to save the Realm in your name or Conquer it under your rule!
Tier 3 Upgraded Ticket
Ultra Limited Ticket - Reduced Price on Kickstarter Only!
Rule your own Kingdom! Become a Queen or King, a Mercenary Leader, or High Wizard of your own faction in our world of Adventure in Dragon Thrones!
The High Ruler receives all the benefits of the preceding ticket levels plus these additional special royal features:
- Thematic Leadership of a family kingdom (Human or Draconian)
- Thematic Global council seat w/other Kingdom royalty
- Thematically work together and be assisted and advised by all the other roles/players
- Thematically start the game with control over one Dragon Throne for your Kingdom Team. (An ancient and magical item that gives you the power to rule!)
- Queen/Kingly premium costume piece to show your divine right!
- High table dinner seat with other royalty from the realm.
- Largest private corner room in the Royal Wing (if human royalty) or a room at the top of the Draconian Tower (if Draconian royalty)
Note: We may have Tier Three upgraded double rooms available and can try to group players who are friends together if desired as "Ruler Partners". Contact us for Information.
*Additionally, roles/skills/attributes are not classified by gender. As a historic women's college Bryn Mawr's design will allow us to give all players of all backgrounds the Adventure they choose!
Prop Examples for the above Pledges
Pledge Reward Comparison Spreadsheet
Comparison to other Weekend Getaways
A simple side-by-side comparison of Dragon Thrones and a normal Weekend 3 day - 2 night weekend vacation:
Hotel Pricing, Food Costs, Entertainment Costs, etc. Click the HERE to see a sheet comparing Dragon Thrones to other similar getaway vacations.
There's a lot to do! You choose to do as much as you'd like! Our "no pressure schedule" allows you to be involved in many things, or focus on your favorite features as you see fit!
Friday, July 7th
- 12:30 pm - 3:30 pm: Campus Room & Game Master check-in, Campus Exploration, Questing*
- 4:00 pm - 4:30 pm: Kingdom Team check in
- 4:30pm - 5:00pm: Questing*
- 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm: Medieval University Classes & Campus Exploration/Questing*
- 7:00 pm - 8:45 pm: Friday Dinner, Day 1 Ceremonies & Entertainment
- 9:00 pm - 10:30 pm: the War + Diplomacy + Espionage MEGAGAME begins! [rounds 1 & 2]* and Questing
- 10:30 pm - 1:00 am (Later if GM's stay up): First Evening in The Realm ("Night Missions" RPG, Medieval Tabletop Games, Casino etc.)
Saturday, July 8th
- 8:00 am - 10:00 pm: Breakfast and Questing
- 10:15 am - 10:45 am: Day 2 Grand Ceremonies in Sir Thomas Hall
- 11:00 am - 12:30 noon: MEGAGAME [rounds 3 & 4]* and Questing*
- 12:30 pm - 2:00: pm Lunch Armistice*
- 2:15 pm - 3:45 pm: MEGAGAME [rounds 5 & 6]* and Questing*
- 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm: The Grand Tournament in the Courtyard!
- 5:15 pm - 6:15 pm: Global Diplomatic Council Session* and Questing*
- 6:30 - 7:00: Questing*
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm: The Grand Sir Thomas Hall Dinner Feast!
- 9:15 pm - 10:15 pm: MEGAGAME [fast/advanced rounds 7 & 8]*
- 10:30 pm - 1:00 am (Later if GM's stay up): Saturday night at Castle Bryn Mawr ("Night Missions RPG", Medieval Tabletop Games, Casino, Midnight Ball etc.)
Sunday, July 9th
- 8:00 am - 10:00 pm: Breakfast and Questing
- 10:15 am - 11:15 am: MEGAGAME [FINAL fast/advanced rounds 9 & 10] and Questing Ends*
- 11:30 am - 12:30 pm: Closing Ceremonies in Sir Thomas Hall (Story Conclusion)
- 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm: Debrief (optional for players)
- 2:00 Final farewell! (last check outs)
Note: "Questing" includes our interactive features (i.e. Your Character development and objectives, Escape Room, Side Quests, interactive installations, scavenger/sandbox gaming etc.) These will be accessible during most hours. Any time slot marked * means additional features are available for sign up (note: final schedule subject to change).
You will enjoy a thematically stunning, historical landscape. You will be placed within alternate Gothic realty. Escape your everyday world through our towering stone portal at America's most stunning medieval campus.
Bryn Mawr College is a historic campus that has been long recognized as one of the most beautiful and exemplary in the nation. The college is set in a century-old suburb outside Philadelphia that offers a reasonable commute from all points in the Northeast (PA, NY, NJ, CT, MD, MA, RI, north VA). It's a 2 hour drive from New York City and a 30 minute drive from the Philadelphia international airport.
The campus was selected for its majestic stone buildings, which are the first examples of an architectural style that came to be known as "Collegiate Gothic". The grounds plans were laid out by the designer of New York City's Central Park and other campuses followed in this style. Our long-term partnership with the college has secured our prime summer weekend for Dragon Thrones. The architecture, accommodations, and amenities are excellent for a campus weekend and reinforce our belief that locations can inspire games.
At Bryn Mawr you will not only become immersed in the fantasy experience, but you will also be safe and comfortable at a top tier college campus. The amenities of modern times meets the look and feel of medieval times to provide an outstanding an all-inclusive weekend escape.
No matter the angle, Bryn Mawr captures you...
A campus filled with stonework and archways, towers and gargoyles await your arrival. Quest with us in these beautiful grounds.
Housing & Food
Tickets include all meals and lodging. Player accommodations will be divided between two dormitories: Erdman Hall (New Dorm) + Enid Cook Center and Rockefeller Dorm.
New Dorm offers single rooms in a modernist designed building with a minimalist temple-like common area with tapestry. These single units offer privacy. However, couples or friends can be booked in single units that are adjacent. Additionally, the Enid Cook Center (which adjoins New Dorm) will feature our royal accommodations. This dormitory features slightly larger rooms and a kitchen. Both of these adjoining dormitories feature a laundry center and sunny lounge areas that will offer additional space for interaction.
Rockefeller Dormitory offers historical accommodations. This dormitory was designed by John D. Rockefeller and features both single and double rooms. The unique feature is that no two rooms are the same. Rockefeller Dorm also features laundry plus wooden lounge areas for additional interaction.
Finally, Bryn Mawr's food was ranked as on of the "Top 10" collegiate dining experiences:
We cannot wait to meet our backers! Allow us to introduce you to Game Theatre:
"Game Theatre" is a specialized gaming system combining live action role-play (larp), board game mechanics, and theatrical elements to create an immersive social adventure.
In Game Theatre players are given character roles that are cast within an overarching plot (similar to larp). Players are also given meaningful choice-based objectives that create compelling socialization and storyline progression. Game Theatre utilizes a tier-based player objective design where players each have personal (individual questing), team (collaborative, or faction vs. faction) and global (entire game) objectives. This tiered system is strategically employed so players can pursue different courses of action, but always still have measurable influence on the game.
Where Game Theatre departs from many larps is that board game and card game mechanics are used to resolve objectives. Game Theatre choses mechanics with strong interactive features that can be successfully melded into a larp to create a larp-hybrid. Favored mechanics are social deduction/player voting, item exchange/resource allocation, area control, and classic card game mechanics. Game Theatre then scripts the role-play experience into a round based Megagame where player choices and actions must be made. This is how Game Theatre ensures that the gaming experience will generate outcomes. Just like a turn in a board game, in Game Theatre things will happen to players on a personal, team, and global level at set times. There is no direct player on player combat in Game Theatre, rather players compete (in character) through social strategy and decision-making. Game Theatre often uses player trust/deception, team-building, and materials measurement (money, resources etc.) to resolve conflicts and measure success.
Although a larp-hybrid, Game Theatre does encourage a degree of free-form role-play, where players can contribute their own side-plots into the game and pursue them using mechanics approved by the “Game Directors.” Game Directors, and players, will also launch into improvisational (interactive theatrical) scenes to summarize the status of the game and overall story. Similar to a staged play, Game Theatre always has an opening, middle, plot-twist (game mechanical change), and conclusion.
Your Character will be provided with the GAME THEATRE Objectives:
- (1) Personal Objectives - Progress your own personal goals for your own gains.
- (2) Family/Kingdom Objectives - Work towards the ends of your family. Help make your Kingdom the greatest in the land!
- (3) Global Objectives - Work towards the over-arching global objectives for you and your allied kingdoms! If you're the Humans you want to stop the Draconians from their full invasion. If you're the Draconians, you work together to invade and take back the lands that were once yours!
In addition, you will also be able to attempt Side Quests throughout the weekend.
- The Ancient Draconian Mage's Lair - The Escape Room Experience will give players the opportunity to complete its challenges for magical in-game prizes!
- The Night Missions - Tabletop RPG/Larp missions that are done in the evening hours. "Heist-Like" planning goes into them with your characters as a GM helps tell the story of its outcome while you and your team roleplays with them.
You choose to what degree you want to participate in the various features.
Dragon Thrones is an original epic story of rival Family Kingdoms in a troubled realm of Cambria. Each Kingdom is obsessively seeking global supremacy by striving to capture more powerful magic through gaining control over the Dragon Thrones of their competitors.
A millennia ago, Cambria was controlled by the ancient Draconians and their Elder Dragons. Intelligent, God-like, powerful creatures that supported the Draconians that worshiped them. They would defend them in battle and teach them ancient magics. After generations of humans were enslaved, the Draconian bloodlines began to weaken and co-mingle with the human kingdoms. Eventually, there were factions of sympathizers within Draconian culture that began arguing for human equality. Finally, one very powerful Draconian Mage, herself named Gitrix the Red, taught the bravest and strongest humans how to defeat the Elder Dragons. The humans rose up, formed a massive army and eventually after great losses, they defeated the Elder Dragons. Then, Gitrix took the remains of the Elders and formed them into talismans of great power and forged them into Thrones,which she awarded to each of the greatest of the human leaders. Each Dragon Throne bestowed great power for Kingdom leadership plus use of a great power once possessed by the Dragon that now was forged into the Throne.
Generations later the Family Kingdoms have forgotten their past and remain, at war, feuding over each High Ruler's insatiable desire to obtain all of the magics of the Dragon Thrones, uniting them into one supreme throne.
Now, with the rumored new "Draconian Invasion", High Rulers and important figures of the Kingdoms have been summoned to the great Castle Bryn Mawr for a summit by the most neutral and powerful ruler for a last chance at global peace. There will be no physical outward fighting between families and kingdoms at the Castle. However, the Kingdoms will still be engaged in war outside of the Castle walls... While the leaders are away, they will still command their armies to do their bidding.
Meanwhile, human greed has created a blind eye to the imminent threats... all in the realm be forewarned... Summer is Coming!
Pledge Your Allegiance!
Each family will have their own crest, a motto, and colors. But, more importantly, each family has inherited an ancient throne cast from a Dragon that contains timeless magical powers!
The Family Kingdom House Teams will be named after the historic streets if Bryn Mawr, PA! Including, House Whyndom, House Caversham, House Merio, and House (dare we say...) Lancaster! REAL locations to anchor and honor your prideful House Team!
Our Kickstarter backers will be able to have first selections over which Kingdom House they would like to join!
Kingdom Houses are influenced by our favorite houses of medieval fantasy.
Perhaps you will join The Lancasters...
With fire in your eyes you may want to join an ancient and powerful Draconian Clan such as Clan Talon!
The Moon Board:
The Ancient Draconian Mage's Lair: a Larp Escape Room
EntertainmentWith your backing we will book a variety of talent to provide entertainment and to offer additional "in game" features, such as clues and secret information to players.
About The Game TheatreAs an event company, The Game Theatre believes that compelled player interaction and thematic social adventure can be designed to bring together people from various backgrounds into one epic collective experience. Cohesive role-play, storied gaming and entertainment works masterfully together as powerful force of interpersonal discovery.
Thanks for your support and for joining us on a truly new type of adventure at Dragon Thrones!
Risks and challenges
Members of our team have done Kickstarter campaigns for tabletop board games before and have experience running and creating crowdfunding campaigns. The biggest news is, this event will run with minimal risk since we have already put down the deposit on the venue and are working with an outstanding team of professional Larpers, Performers, Carpenters, Planners, Role Players, and Entertainers. We are all extremely passionate about what we do and about creating an amazing event. And we will put our all into it.
We thank you for your support!
- (30 days)