What is this book?
The Trials of Renegade X is the sequel to The Rise of Renegade X. In the first book, Damien Locke, the 16-year-old son of one of Golden City's most notorious supervillains, finds out that he's also the son of the city's most beloved superhero and has to go live with him and his goody-goody hero family.
What people are saying about the first book:
"A snarky protagonist, laugh-out-loud quips and fresh twist on superheroes (who knew there could still be one?) make ... 'The Rise of Renegade X' a surprising hit." --The Seattle Times
"A witty tale that older teens will appreciate." -- Publishers Weekly
"Damien's voice is snarky and delightful; get ready to cheer for a new kind of hero." --Julie Kagawa, New York Times best-selling author of the IRON FEY series.
The Rise of Renegade X has also been optioned by Disney Channel Movies. You can read a longer description of the book and see more reviews here.
Why write a sequel? Why self-publish it?
The first book came out in 2010 and was published by Egmont USA. Since then, readers have been telling me how much they loved it and have been begging for a sequel. Up until recently, I thought there would never be one, because the publisher wasn't interested. I loved the book and wanted to write more, and my readers loved the book and wanted to read more, but without the publisher to, you know, publish it, it looked like we were all just out of luck.
But then I realized it didn't have to be that way. Going through the original publisher wasn't the only option, and self-publishing it means the book will not only come out faster (no two-year wait for it to hit the shelves), but it will also be more affordable, since I can set the ebook price.
As of now, The Trials of Renegade X is finished, edited, and ready for publication. The first book, The Rise of Renegade X, will be re-released very soon--both in ebook and paperback--though you can still pick up used hardbacks or get it at your local library.
Where will the funds go?
If this Kickstarter is successful, your pledges will pay for:
- Cover art by the amazing Raul Allen, who illustrated the cover for the first book
- Purchasing ISBNs
- Fulfilling incentives
- Fees for Kickstarter and Amazon
- Taxes (barf)
How does Kickstarter work?
When you make a pledge, you'll enter the amount you want to pledge and then choose your incentive. Kickstarter will then have you log in to Amazon, which handles all the payments. Amazon doesn't actually take any funds until the Kickstarter ends, and then only if the campaign is successful.
So if we don't raise the total amount, you keep your money, but nobody gets any of the incentives. Essentially, everybody loses. Which is why it's so important to spread the word! Even if you can't make a pledge, you can still help out by posting about this campaign on Twitter and Facebook (there are handy buttons at the top of this page), your blog, or just by telling your friends. Or your enemies. Whoever.
Who are these books for?
- Fans of YA novels
- Fans of snarky protagonists
- People who love supervillains
- People who love superheroes
- Boys AND girls
The suggested age level is 14+. There's some violence and references to/jokes about sex (okay, a lot of jokes about sex), but nothing graphic. I know both 10-year-olds and 80-year-olds who loved the first book, but who you feel it's appropriate for may vary.
The best way to see if this series is for you is by reading a sample chapter from the first book. (And if you've already read the first one, don't worry. I have a link to the sample chapter from the sequel waiting for you further down.)
What kind of incentives can I get?
Now that I have the rights back to the first book, The Rise of Renegade X, I'm doing all I can to republish it and put it back up for sale. But the good news is that, in the meantime, you can still get a copy through this kickstarter! ALL reward tiers now come with an ebook copy of the first book, The Rise of Renegade X!
- EARLY BIRD - You can get the ebook a whole MONTH before everybody else! That means a whole month of bragging rights and feeling extra awesome. You'll also become an honorary citizen of Golden City and get your superhero or supervillain name*, plus your superpower, listed in a special thank you section of the book. (You do have a hero or villain name, right??) *Note that I reserve the right to veto anything and have final say on what goes into the book. So, you know, nothing too inappropriate.
- EBOOK AND SWAG PACK - There's also a swag pack that will feature a sticker and bookmark with the Trials cover art on it, plus a button that says, "Superheroes do it with capes!" (based on a shirt Damien wears in the first scene of the book). The swag pack also comes with the ebook, and you get your superhero/villain name and superpower listed in the thank you section.
If you want a physical copy of the book to hug or put on your shelf and then wait a few years for it to turn yellow so you can sniff it for that old book smell (er, not that I do that or anything), then you have four options.
- PAPERBACK - The first option is the paperback. This includes the ebook, which will still be sent to you a month early, and you also get your superhero/villain name and power listed in the thank you section.
- PAPERBACK AND SWAG PACK - Like the paperback option, but with a swag pack. (Note that these will be mailed separately, since the paperback will come from the manufacturer and the swag pack will come from me). Also includes the ebook and your superhero/villain name and power listed in the special thank you section.
- SIGNED PAPERBACK - The second option is a signed, numbered, and dated paperback, which I will also emboss with a special seal, based on whether you're a hero or a villain (you'll have a chance to tell me this info after the Kickstarter, along with how you want it signed). You'll also get the swag pack, the ebook (delivered a month early), and your hero/villain name and superpower listed in the thank you section.
- HARDBACK - The third option is the hardback. This is a limited edition, signed, numbered, and dated hardback book. It will be signed and personalized, embossed with a special seal, and comes with the swag pack, the ebook (still a month early!), and your hero/villain name and superpower listed in the special thank you section.
Did I say four options? I actually meant six, but these last two are super limited.
- NAME A CHARACTER - You can get a minor character in the book named after you! This is your chance to become part of the Renegade X world! You can choose to be either a student at Heroesworth Academy or Vilmore University. You also get the special limited edition hardback, the swag pack, the ebook (delivered early), and your superhero/villain name and power listed in the thank you section.
- PLUSH CHARACTER - You get a plush doll of your favorite Renegade X character, crocheted by me! You also get the limited edition hardback, the swag pack, the ebook (sent to you a month early), and your superhero/villain name and power listed in the special thank you section.
Below are the Damien and Sarah dolls I made in the past (I no longer have them, since they were a gift), so you can see examples of my work:
What is The Trials of Renegade X about? (WARNING: this blurb is pretty spoilery if you haven't read the first one.)
Can a half villain ever be a full hero?
Damien Locke didn't choose for his supervillain mom to disown him – just because he sort of defied her and ruined her evil plans to take over Golden City – and he didn't choose for his superpower to be flying, a superhero ability that involves his least favorite thing: heights. But now that he's living with his dad's superhero family and enrolling at Heroesworth Academy, he's ready to embrace his new life, get his H, and finally belong somewhere. But belonging isn't as easy as signing up for classes, and Damien finds himself struggling to fit in more than ever.
Just when he's sure his fate as a hero has been decided, though, he gets a new villain power that he can't control. And things only get worse when he accidentally screws up one of his sidekick Sarah's gadgets, altering her personality and turning her into a crazed, anti-supervillain vigilante – leaving him no choice but to team up with her annoying superhero boyfriend if he hopes to have any chance of getting the old Sarah back, before she captures – or kills – another supervillain like him.
Risks and challenges
The risks for this project are very low. The book is already written, the cover art is almost done, and I have previous experience with self-publishing, so I know the process and what to expect. All that's left is for the book to be formatted and distributed. Granted, something could still go wrong and cause a delay, but I will do everything I can to keep that from happening and to make sure your incentives are delivered in as timely a manner as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)