What is this book?
The Betrayal of Renegade X is the third book in the Renegade X series. In book one, Damien Locke, the 16-year-old son of one of Golden City's most notorious supervillains, finds out that he's also the son of the city's most beloved superhero and has to go live with him and his goody-goody hero family.
What people are saying about the first book:
"A snarky protagonist, laugh-out-loud quips and fresh twist on superheroes (who knew there could still be one?) make ... 'The Rise of Renegade X' a surprising hit." --The Seattle Times
"A witty tale that older teens will appreciate." -- Publishers Weekly
"Damien's voice is snarky and delightful; get ready to cheer for a new kind of hero." --Julie Kagawa, New York Times best-selling author of the IRON FEY series.
Where will the funds go?
If this Kickstarter is successful, your pledges will pay for:
- Cover art by the amazing Raul Allen, who illustrated the gorgeous covers for books 1 and 2
- Publishing the book in hardcover
- Fulfilling incentives
- Kickstarter and Amazon fees, which come out to between 8% and 10% of the total amount raised
How does Kickstarter work?
When you make a pledge, you'll enter the amount you want to pledge and then choose your incentive. Kickstarter will then have you log in to Amazon, which handles all the payments. Amazon doesn't actually take any funds until the Kickstarter ends, and then only if the campaign is successful.
So if we don't raise the total amount, you keep your money, but nobody gets any of the incentives. Essentially, everybody loses. Which is why it's so important to spread the word! Even if you can't make a pledge, you can still help out by posting about this campaign on Twitter and Facebook (there are handy buttons at the top of this page), your blog, or just by telling your friends. Or your enemies. Whoever.
Who are these books for?
- Fans of YA novels
- Fans of snarky protagonists
- People who love supervillains
- People who love superheroes
- Boys AND girls
The suggested age level is 14+. There's some violence and references to/jokes about sex (okay, a lot of jokes about sex), but nothing graphic. I know both 10-year-olds and 80-year-olds who love the books, but who you feel they're appropriate for may vary. The best way to see if this series is for you is by reading a sample chapter from the first book.
What kind of incentives can I get?
ALL REWARD TIERS come with the ebook for The Betrayal of Renegade X, AND you get to read it as soon as it's done. That means you get to read it at least two weeks before anyone else. It also means you'll be getting two copies of the ebook from me--one without a cover that you get right away, and a second, finished version that includes the final cover art. This Kickstarter is also the only way to pre-order book 3.
And no matter what reward tier you choose, you get your superhero/supervillain name and superpower listed in the special thank-you section in the back of the book! Previous backers are welcome to use the name/power they came up with for book 2, or come up with something completely different.
Now, onto the list:
- $10 - EARLY BIRD - For backers who already have books 1 and 2 and just want the ebook of book 3. You get The Betrayal of Renegade X in the format of your choice (EPUB, MOBI, or PDF), and you get to read it BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! You also get your superhero/supervillain name and superpower listed in the special thank-you section of the book.
- $20 - ALL THE EBOOKS - Get all three ebooks in the series in the format of your choice, and read book 3 a few weeks early! You also get your superhero/supervillain name and superpower listed in the special thank-you section of the book.
- $25 - PAPERBACK - You get a limited-edition signed, numbered, dated, and embossed paperback of book 3, plus all three ebooks, and your hero/villain name and power listed in the special thank-you section
- $50 - TWO PAPERBACKS - You get two signed, embossed, and dated Renegade X paperbacks of your choice. Any copies of book 3 will also be numbered. Have a friend you think would like the books? Get book 1 for them and book 3 for yourself! Already have book 1? Get book 2 and 3. You also get all three ebooks in the format of your choice, plus your superhero/villain name and power listed in the special thank-you section in the back of the book
- $75 - ALL THE PAPERBACKS - Get all three signed, dated, and embossed paperbacks--book 3 will also be numbered--as well as all three ebooks and your hero/villain name and power listed in the special thank-you section of the book.
- $75 - HARDBACK - Get a limited-edition, signed, numbered, dated, and embossed hardback copy! Plus you also get the ebooks and your hero/villain name and power listed in the special thank-you section.
- $110 - TWO HARDBACKS - You get two signed, embossed, and dated Renegade X hardbacks of your choice. Any copies of book 3 will also be numbered. If you've already got one hardback and need to complete your collection, this is for you. Or if you want to get one hardback for yourself and one for a friend, you can do that, too. Also comes with all three ebooks, and you get your superhero/villain name and power listed in the thank-you section.
- $150 - ALL THE HARDBACKS - Get signed, dated, and embossed hardback copies of all three books. Book 3 will also be numbered. Includes all three ebooks and your superhero/supervillain name and power listed in the special thank-you section of the book.
- $150 - NAME A CHARACTER - You get a minor character in the book named after you! You also get the signed, dated, embossed, and numbered Kickstarter edition hardback, the ebooks, and your superhero/villain name and power listed in the special thank-you section of the book. Note that this tier is EXTREMELY LIMITED!
- $300 - ANNOTATED HARDBACK - You get a one-of-a-kind hardback copy of The Betrayal of Renegade X, with handwritten notes and drawings from me on every page. Also comes signed, embossed, dated, and numbered, and includes all three ebooks and your hero/villain name and power in the special thank-you section
UPDATE: Stretch Goal!
Good news: we're close to our goal already! If we make it up to $3,000, I'll write a short story HOLIDAY SPECIAL about Damien and friends, and backers get to vote for which holiday I write about. All reward tiers will come with an ebook copy of the story.
My ultimate stretch goal would be to raise enough to also produce the second audiobook. That would be $5,500 total for the campaign, which is still a long ways off, but I've got some exciting stretch goals for the milestones in between. Any extra funds raised by the campaign will go toward producing the audiobook--there'll just be a much longer wait before it comes out.
UPDATE: Stretch Goal #2
We've reached the first stretch goal, which means everyone is getting the holiday special! I'm so excited for this!!! And if the kickstarter gets up to $3,500, ALL REWARD TIERS will include a set of three 4x6 postcards, featuring the cover art from each book. (So one postcard will have the cover art from book 1, the second postcard will have the cover art from book 2, etc.) You'll also have the option to get these signed and/or personalized by me, or just left blank if you prefer.
I'm still working out the details on some more stretch goals, so hopefully I'll be able to announce those soon as well.
UPDATE: Stretch Goal #3
We've met stretch goal #2, which means postcards are go! And I'm super excited to announce that if the kickstarter gets up to $4,000, I will write and illustrate Damien's Guide to Golden City. This will be a tour/travel guide of Golden City, as only Damien can tell it. Expect lots of snark and hilarious anecdotes about all your favorite characters. This will be in ebook format and included with ALL REWARD TIERS.
UPDATE: The Top 40 Backers Get The Rise of Renegade X Audiobook
I've been talking with ACX, the distributor for the Renegade X audiobook, and they've agreed to give me some extra promo codes for downloads through Audible! This means that the top 40 backers are also getting a copy of The Rise of Renegade X audiobook!
What does this mean for you? If you're one of the top 40 backers--going by pledge amount--then you'll get a code from me that you can use at Audible.com to download a copy of The Rise of Renegade X audiobook for free.
Unfortunately, these only apply to backers in the US or the UK. And if you're in the top 40 and already have the audiobook, you'll have the chance to opt out so someone else can have a copy. Or you can hoard more for yourself, or give your Audible code to a friend--it's up to you.
UPDATE: Stretch Goal #4
We're getting close to reaching stretch goal #3, and I'm super excited to announce that if the kickstarter reaches $4,500, ALL REWARD TIERS will get a 2 x 3 inch high-quality magnet featuring the full wrap cover of The Rise of Renegade X.
These will be durable, glossy magnets, like what you might find at a gift shop. You can see a sample of the type of magnets they will be below:
These are going to be really awesome, and with five days still left, we can make this happen! Keep spreading the word--you guys ROCK.
The series so far:
Sixteen-year-old Damien Locke has a plan: major in messing with people at the local supervillain university and become a professional evil genius, just like his supervillain mom. But when he discovers the shameful secret she's been hiding all these years, that the one-night stand that spawned him was actually with a superhero, everything gets messed up. His father's too moral for his own good, so when he finds out Damien exists, he actually wants him to come live with him and his goody-goody superhero family. Damien gets shipped off to stay with them in their suburban hellhole, and he has only six weeks to prove he's not a hero in any way, or else he's stuck living with them for the rest of his life, or until he turns eighteen, whichever comes first.
To get out of this mess, Damien has to survive his dad's "flying lessons" that involve throwing him off the tallest building in the city--despite his nearly debilitating fear of heights--thwarting the eccentric teen scientist who insists she's his sidekick, and keeping his supervillain girlfriend from finding out the truth. But when Damien uncovers a dastardly plot to turn all the superheroes into mindless zombie slaves, a plan hatched by his own mom, he discovers he cares about his new family more than he thought. Now he has to choose: go back to his life of villainy and let his family become zombies, or stand up to his mom and become a real hero.
Can a half villain ever be a full hero?
Damien Locke didn't choose for his supervillain mom to disown him — just because he sort of defied her and ruined her evil plans to take over Golden City — and he didn't choose for his superpower to be flying, a superhero ability that involves his least favorite thing: heights. But now that he's living with his dad's superhero family and enrolling at Heroesworth Academy, he's ready to embrace his new life, get his H, and finally belong somewhere. But belonging isn't as easy as signing up for classes, and Damien finds himself struggling to fit in more than ever.
Just when he's sure his fate as a hero has been decided, though, he gets a new villain power that he can't control. And things only get worse when he accidentally screws up one of his sidekick Sarah's gadgets, altering her personality and turning her into a crazed, anti-supervillain vigilante — leaving him no choice but to team up with her annoying superhero boyfriend if he hopes to have any chance of getting the old Sarah back, before she captures — or kills — another supervillain like him.
The Betrayal of Renegade X:
Damien thinks he has the whole hero thing figured out—he's getting good grades at Heroesworth and acing all his missions—at least until he zaps an unarmed bad guy he believes tortured and murdered children. It turns out the “bad guy” was actually a superhero working with the school. The mission was staged, and Damien blew it.
Now his best friend refuses to work with him, his dad is considering getting him professional help, and everyone's questioning whether or not he has a future as a hero—including his grandpa, who will do anything to ensure Damien's future lies in villainy. His grandpa creates a villain organization called the Truth, intent on exposing the way heroes really treat villains. But when the Truth launches its plan and the whole city erupts in chaos, Damien is caught between the opposing sides, and his future is anything but certain.
With heroes and villains bent on destroying each other, it's up to him to do whatever it takes to stop the fighting, even if it means betraying the people closest to him.
Risks and challenges
The risks for this project are very low. The book is almost finished, and will be done soon after the Kickstarter ends, if not before. The cover art will be done by the same cover artist I've worked with in the past, and I've self-published before, so I know the process and what to expect. Of course, something unforeseen could still happen and cause a delay, but I will do everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen and that you get your incentives as soon as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)