You may be unaware, but there are hundreds of thousands of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) who are having a hard time, losing faith over difficult history, conflicting teachings, and differing opinions on social issues. Elder Marlin Jensen (Former Church historian) noted, "The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve realize that maybe since Kirtland, we never have had a period of, I'll call it apostasy, like we're having right now"
This podcast was created to help these Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) who have a hard time in Church dynamics and who want and desire to find faith in the restored gospel again. They may be going through a difficult faith transition, desiring to think deeper about the Church and issues within it, or may simply want to learn more about the gospel. This podcast leads with faith and encourages people to grow their testimony of the gospel and lead with faith but it also doesn't sidestep the difficult issues and the pain felt by many who have a hard time. The podcast has grown remarkably and currently gets 50,000 feed hits a month. We have interviewed well known LDS Members such as Brad Wilcox, Mike Ash, Brian Hales, Steven Harper, Mark Ashurst-McGee, and many others
The Podcast was started 2 years ago on very little funding or equipment and a handful of listeners and currently has over 13,900 unique IP listens each month and about 1,700 unique listeners to each episode that with very little advertising or marketing. The problem is that my website is limited and my equipment is amateur. Knowing there are hundreds of thousands of members having a hard time and my podcast only within earshot of a few has encouraged me to broaden my scope and improve my visibility. These funds will be used to accomplish 4 objectives
1 - create a brand new website separate from podbean to allow better design capability and viability and personal control.
2 - Finance the setting up of a 501 C 3
- a Listener is a lawyer and willing to do this at a a discount (300.00 his charge, $125 for state filing for LLC, and Federal filing approx $125)
3 - finance marketing in dense LDS populated areas to get the podcast visible. Specifically Deseret news and Salt Lake Tribune
4 - purchase a top notch mic, mixing board, and video recording equipment to allow for some video episodes
In the end this podcast is about helping LDS who might find themselves on in a faith transition to feel more accepted, loved, and encouraged to lead with faith. http://mormondiscussion.podbean.com My goal is to create a viable podcast and connected website that will allow it reach to significantly increase. $3,000 gets this ball rolling strongly in that direction and anything more is icing on the cake.
- Travel to willing wards and stakes to put on training and have conversation about how to better tackle this issue (I have already done this 3 times at my own expense)
- Work with other companies that have faith promoting products to put them within reach of the listener.
- Subscription memberships to the podcast that allows you to listen early to episodes months before the public
- free link on the site and mention in the episodes for a year to lifetime
- Branded Hats and shirts
Risks and challenges
What stands in the way of this project being a success? Only one issue even comes close to standing in my way.
- Market is limited in that we are talking only Mormons for the most part. Many mormons could care less about deeper issues of history, theology, and culture. There are only so many people who desire to both delve deeper into Mormonism and who also want to lead with faith within the mormon church's membership. That said, I know those in this market are in the hundreds of thousands and we have only reached a drop in the bucket. My listenership has doubled every 4-6 months and I see no reason for that to level off in the near future.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)