About this project
Check out the hands on review by Engadget - click the image below.
Resting on your temporal bone, Damson Headbones wirelessly transmit audio to your inner ear while keeping your ears clear to hear what is going on around you. Yet also allow you to shut off background noise when you need.
They are Bluetooth enabled bone conduction headphones which sit just in front of the ear, on the temporal bone. They utilise the acoustic properties of the human skull and its natural ability to work in tandem with the inner ear by sending audio vibrations to the inner ear, maximising the sensory experience of sound and music, whilst minimising the likelihood of hearing damage.
Headbones take advantage of Damsons Incisor Diffusion Technology (IDT), which has proved to be a huge success and is found in the popular Damson Twist and Damson Jet wireless speakers already on sale today.
Make no bones about it... Headbones are here to shake up the headphone market. This product will change the way you listen to music while you're on the move.
*** UPDATED: Headbones will now ship with a 3.5mm line in and a 3.5mm line out Jack.
Line In Your music player won't have to have Bluetooth to use the Headbones.
Line Out You can use your favourite ear buds with the Headbones or the included buds for isolation, the bone conduction is switched off and your Headbones become a Bluetooth wireless receiver.
Headbones includes a built in microphone (just under the driver on the right hand side) which allows you to make and take calls.
Unlike any other headphone device that allows the same function, this also allows you to #HearEverything around you while on the call. So you can safely take calls when running or cycling.
If your vehicle doesn't include a Bluetooth kit, Headbones can act as one. This would be ideal for Taxi drivers, or couriers, where they need to keep their ears free to hear everything around them but also make/take calls without broadcasting them to people in the cabin.
To activate an incoming call just press the call button located on the right hand driver.
To create a product that is truly adaptable to your life:
- Listen to music safely during the activities you enjoy
- Cancel out background noise when you want to
- Stylishly designed and comfortable to wear
- Activities where you wouldn't use traditional headphones for safety reasons
- Listening to commentary whilst actually being at the game and enjoying the atmosphere
- Working in an office and still able to answer the phone/hear the boss call you
- Protecting your hearing. Headbones bypasses your ears most sensitive parts
- Those who are unable to wear or use traditional over or in ear headphones
We have had a number of questions asked why we are different to other bone conduction technology headphones on the market. Here are some of the reasons we are different and why you should back us.
- Better sound quality
- Lower sound bleed - less irritation to others around you
- Dual Functional - Use Headbones as a Bluetooth receiver with your favourite headphones or use them with our Bone conduction driver to hear everything.
- Better design.
- Flexibility of design allows for Headbones to fit most adult head shapes
- Better battery life
These are just some of the reasons why Headbones should be your first choice in bone conduction.
- Driver type: Incisor Diffusion Technology - micro vibration driver
- 3.5mm Line in - cable your MP3 player
- 3.5mm Line out - Headbones act as a Bluetooth receiver allowing you to use your own favourite headphones.
- Bluetooth: Version 4 CSR APT-X Lossless
- Battery type: Built in Lithium Ion
- Battery size: 320mAh
- Playback time: Up to 10 hours (bone conduction) 20 hours Headphones.
- Standby time: Up to 300 hours (12 days)
- Built in microphone: For Handsfree calls
- Support for two simultaneous connections: Yes
- Auto switch for call answering: Yes
- Water resistant: IPX5 supported
- Frequency response: 60hz - 20khz
- Cables: Micro USB for charging
- Protective Case: Glasses style case for protective storage and pouch for ear buds.
- Weight: 80g (2.8oz)
- Warranty: Two years excluding battery (one year)
Proven Technology - Headbones take advantage of Damson's Incisor Diffusion Technology (IDT). IDT avoids the use of a traditional "cone speaker" by replacing the diaphragm with "teeth" (or incisors), allowing the sound to radiate through the surface the driver is placed upon. In the case of Headbones that surface is the temporal bone, and the sound from the driver inside Headbones is transferred to the inner ear.
The advantage of the unique IDT technology that Damson utlises in the Headbones also has serious positive implications for the hearing impaired. By utilising IDT to send vibrations through the skull to the cochlea, Headbones bypasses the outer ear and ear drum. This allows people with some hearing impairments to be able to listen to audio, by delivering the sounds directly to the inner ear which are then converted and sent to the brain.
Headbones follows a natural progression from our existing products which use Incisor Diffusion Technology to amplify sound by using surfaces. We set ourselves a challenge to create some wearable headgear that would incorporate this technology.
You aren't backing a project that "may" work. You are backing a project that is production ready and will be delivered this your - with your backing.
A limited edition model finished in carbon fibre. Limited to 1000 pairs of Damson Headbones. The special edition will also be printed with the message "Limited edition model 1 of 1000" which makes them truly unique. Images are available via our website. Click the link above.
With your help and pledges we will make this great, unique, product a reality that will ship and be enjoyed in 2014.
Now everyone can enjoy their music. Anywhere. #HearEverything
At this stage we don't want to get distracted by stretch goals that may delay the shipping date - we are committed to delivering this in October.
However we have considered one.
A Childs version.
Parents are naturally concerned about exposing their child to prolonged use of traditional headphones for fear that it will cause damage to the child's still developing ear. Not only that but it also gives the child a great excuse to fein "I didn't hear" when asked to do something.
Headbones overcomes both of these issues. Parents will be able to let their children listen to personal audio through headbones without fear that it is damaging sensitive ear parts. Parent child interaction will no longer be the same when a child is listening to person audio; no more grunts or vacant stares, or even excuses - they're ears are open to #HearEverything. No excuses!
If we successfully achieve funding we will develop a range of Headbones styled specifically for children.
A Charitable donation - to really help everyone #HearEverything
Through our other products which are based upon the same technology as Headbones we have been touched by the impact these can have on individuals who suffer from hearing impairment or autism. For people with hearing impairments, simply, Headbones will allow 3 of the 4 most common ailments to be treated. In Stereo.
For those who suffer from Autism, with Incisor Diffusion Technology something occurs that triggers a response in their brains and stimulates them to interact. We have received calls and emails from parents/carers who have thanked us for developing technology that has made a clear impact upon their child.
Watch the video below to gain an understanding of how this campaign with it's Charitable donation will help those who may not be able to enjoy music like you may be able to.
If we can successfully achieve funding up to a certain level we will be making a charitable donation to US and UK based hearing deaf and autism charities. If we hit the level we need to achieve this we will be donating product to these charities that would be equivalent to 5% of the total amount we ultimately receive pledges for.
As soon as we achieve our funding goal of £50,000 we're going to be adding NFC as a feature benefit to Headbones in all reward categories that include a pair of Headbones as a no additional cost extra.
Make your choice and change your colour. Don't like the red/black combination. Now you will be able to choose Black/Black or Black/Grey.
Colour me up (or down!).
Unlock this at £65,000 - For those that like their music in high quality. APT-X will be added to every pair of Headbones. Apt-X delivers near lossless audio quality over Bluetooth. Great for those who want to enjoy the highest sounding audio at the same time as they #HearEverything.
As mentioned in our campaign above once we have passed £75,000 we can actively start developing and designing the Children's version. This isn't just a case of "miniaturising" the current design it is reworking it completely which involves a completely new design altogether. As soon as we hit £75,000 we will be investing the resources to begin this process.
The charging case will offer the following capabilities:
- 1100MaH Battery provides over 3x more juice to Headbones
- Pass through charging - Charge Headbones while they sit in the case
- Pass through charging for Smart phones for when they're running low and Headbones isn't
Risks and challenges
In reality we have genuinely carried out the majority of our research before we have got to the stage of launching on Kickstarter. We have seen some of the other projects and failed delivery dates and don't want to do this.
Currently the only three risks that we can predict are as follows:
1. An issue with tooling that may cause a delay. At this stage we do not expect any issues and will commence tooling as soon as we hit our goal. If this happens quickly it provides a "buffer" should problems be encountered.
2. Components. The drivers are not widely available and have a certain manufacturing lead time. As with 1. As soon as we achieve funding we will be placing orders for key components.
3. Demand - Not being able to satisfy the expected high demand for this product. We have carefully selected our manufacturing partner to ensure that production supply can meet demand without impacting upon the high QC standards we employ.
Want to add an extra item to your reward? Or perhaps you’re not finding a reward level that perfectly suits you. Either way, you can add any number of additional items to your reward with our Add On Menu.
How to add items to your reward:
1. Click “Back this project” and pick one of the rewards. Every backer can pick one and only one reward. If you only want to order from the Add On Menu, pick the £2 reward.
2. Look at the Add On Menu in the project description above. Find the item(s) you want to add (note you can only add Headbones if you have already pledged). Increase your reward by the corresponding amount. International backers - If you are choosing Damson Twist or Damson Jet then you will need to add an extra £15 for shipping with these products. If you are shipping to an address in the UK or US you don't need to add anything for shipping.
3. That’s it, you’re done for now. No need to do anything else until our funding period ends.
To add or remove items from your pledge after your initial visit you can simply return to this Kickstarter page and click "Manage My Pledge."
In the weeks following the end of the funding period, we will send every backer a survey. In that survey you will tell us which specific items you want to add on to your reward. You will also give us your shipping details.
Yes they are, as we designed them with outdoor activities in mind we wanted to ensure they would be water resistant. They will be rated to IPX5.
IPX5 is the grade at which a device continue to function when directly subjected to 12.5 L of water per minute from all directions using a 6.3 mm inside diameter nozzle at a distance of approximately 3m for at least 3 minutes.
We already have a US based warehouse. We do not want to over charge for shipping but Kickstarter doesn't allow us to be specific. In the £50 reward category we have to charge shipping for those outside US/UK otherwise we will end up losing a lot of money. But as we have received a lot of comments about shipping in the US we will refund shipping charges to those who live in the US. We have also removed shipping for all other rewards. We want this to be a successful campaign so we really want to encourage everyone to pledge and not have shipping as a reason why people won't make this project a reality in 2014.
At some point or other everyone wears glasses. Either just to see, or to read but unless you're a vampire and never go out in the sun, Sunglasses! The reason we fitted the flex cord was to accommodate this very issue. Not only is everyone's head shaped differently (unless you're an identical twin) but we pretty much all wear glasses of some form. The flex cord is designed to allow you to mould the ear piece over your ear and comfortably around glasses so you have a snug natural fit that doesn't affect either comfort or performance.
Here's a link to view some images - please ignore the red colour on the arms, that it only so it highlights the ability to mould the arms, not the final version colour. http://bit.ly/1pA7aYL
At this level we will donate one pair of Headbones to one of our UK or US charities which will allow others to benefit from the use of Headbones. The other will be shipped to you.
No. We tested this and could find no real use case as to why you would want both operating simultaneously. We also found that battery life could be extended when listening through 3.5mm headphones and cutting off IDT.
ever sat next to someone who's headphones leak and you can hear almost all of the music that you're listening to. This is something that has happened with previous bone conduction headphones. We have worked hard to ensure ours have minimal sound bleed (or leakage) so you enjoy your audio but the world around you doesn't.
Yes they can.
Support this project
- (30 days)