Project BRIGHTdriver-we make driving fun again!
Project BRIGHTdriver-we make driving fun again!
We're creating interactive audio games that you can play while you drive. We are as safe as the radio, social, and fun!
We're creating interactive audio games that you can play while you drive. We are as safe as the radio, social, and fun! Read more
About this project
Friends-24 hours to go before our campaign closes. If you are looking for a better driving experience, look no further!
What’s your drive like today?
If you're like us, you drive the same roads every day, and the best things on your smartphone aren’t safe in the car! We wanted something more on our drive; so we created BRIGHTdriver.
BRIGHTdriver is your smart passenger, based on a totally new genre of gaming that's designed for the car. It combines the best of mobile technology, gameplay, and voice recognition, optimized for hands-free, in car use.
BRIGHTdriver is an app for your iPhone. Simply start before you begin driving and BRIGHTdriver will run audio games that you can play while driving solo, or with passengers, all hands free. You can even compete against your friends who are driving on their own!
Some of the best minds in the business have come together to support this project: From amazing game companies like Harmonix, Hasbro, and Turbine, to innovative technology companies, like PayPal, to interface experts from the MIT Media Lab.
We’re ready for production, but we need your help. We can’t get BRIGHTdriver into your car without YOUR SUPPORT! With your help, we can make the car a better place.
Thanks! Matt & Jacob - Chief Commuting Officers
We are part of the Kicking It Forward movement: http://kickingitforward.org
With Your Help:
$23,500 will allow us to get the last mile of development, cover the costs of our sound and game design work, and finish our first games for the car. We will run a closed beta for Kickstarter Backers Only. Backers will be able to provide direct feedback on making final improvements to the game before a public launch.
Thank you + Ways to get involved
We are grateful for the support you can offer in getting BRIGHTdriver off the ground. Giving at any level to our campaign sends a signal to the world (not to mention car companies) that you want something better for your drive. We also have great rewards as a benefit of your contribution.
We are excited about growing the BRIGHTdriver community! You can also help us spread our message online and offline to your friends and families.
We have created two games to launch the BRIGHTdriver app, and we have many more in development.
Game #1 Volley: Turn your drive into a quiz show with Volley. Our trivia game is multiplayer and, similar to Words with Friends, is turn based and asynchronous. With Volley, if you don’t like a question or want to stump your friend, you can pass on the question and make your friend answer it. But watch out! If your friend is correct, they get double points.
Game #2 Odyssey: Your morning drive just got more exciting! Using information about your location, length of your commute, and smoothness of your drive you will complete adventures ranging from traversing the Oregon Trail to making your mark on the Moon!
How Does BRIGHTdriver Work?
BRIGHTdriver is an iPhone application that can be used in the car. Setting up BRIGHTdriver is as easy as downloading the app onto your phone. All software updates are wirelessly transmitted to BRIGHTdriver. The app can connect directly to your car’s Bluetooth, connect to your car stereo through an auxiliary jack or FM transmitter, or play directly from your iPhone. BRIGHTdriver is built on three key features.
1. Smart Drive Status: We use the GPS in your phone to assess road conditions. Whether you're in a stressful situation (city traffic) or are on the highway, we modify the game pace to provide the safest interaction possible.
2. Voice Recognition: We utilize an on-board voice software to provide you with a seamless experience. There are no errors or delays in recognitions, because everything runs on your phone.
3. Real-Human Interaction: All audio recordings are from our voice-actor Holly Cruz. Say goodbye to the robotic voice! We want your experience to feel as real as a conversation with a passenger.
$1: Good CARma! Our best wishes for light commutes and stress free road trips for eternity. Receive all the latest progress on BRIGHTdriver and notable mention on our website & Facebook page!
$5: Reserve your username for BRIGHTdriver. It's like having a custom vanity plate without the cost. Previous reward included.
$10: Join our wild ride, literally! You will get early access to our application (Kickstarter supporters ONLY), both of our games (driving game and trivia) and the chance to share your access code with up to 3 friends so you can play together. Be the savior of your friends' commutes or surprise them for the holidays! All previous rewards are included.
$35: Birthday Package. It's your birthday and we want to celebrate with you. Your present is early access, a BRIGHTdriver bumper sticker to represent on the road and a special shout out ON your birthday (in the BRIGHTdriver game) from our voice actress/sound designer Holly. All previous rewards included.
$75: Commuter Package: For the truly dedicated road warrior! Receive a universal iPhone mount for easy access on your drive. We love ours so much we wanted to share it with you. You will also receive all previous rewards.
$95: BRIGHTdriver Fan Package: Want to talk to your Chief Commuters? Receive a personal call from the BRIGHTdriver founders, a sporty BD T-shirt, and all previous rewards (excludes car mount).
$145: Producer Package. Vote on the next game we produce. We have some amazing games in the pipeline! Tell us what you want next for the car. All contributors will receive producer status on our website and credits for co-producing the game. All previous rewards included.
$295: Trivia Package: For the trivia buffs out there. You get to pick a trivia category that we will develop for our first game, Volley. You name it, Star Wars, Persian Cuisine, Neil Diamond Hits, whatever! Receive all the rewards above.
$895: Actor Package. Become an instant celebrity! Your voice will be included in Odyssey, the driving game. We will work with you on script and recording. Share your soul awakening voice with drivers everywhere! All previous rewards included AND an invitation to our launch party.
$5000: The Elite Angel. We'll take you and a friend to a private dinner prior to our launch party. Dine in style with our inner circle of legendary game advisors, developers, and designers. As if that's not enough we will love you forever and all previous rewards are included. Party guests you will meet include experts from: Harmonix; MIT Media Lab; Gamesville/Lucky Labs; Lucasfilm Games; 38 Studios; WB/Turbine; Hasbro; PayPal; Game Show Network.
Risks and challenges
Every project has its challenges and this is no exception. Below are a list of the top challenges we forsee and how we are tackling them.
1. Making a great game: it takes skill, creativity, and lots of iterations to make a great game. Fortunately, we have brought on top notch game designers, with pedigrees from Harmonix, Turbine, and Hasbro to advise us on what makes a great experience. We have also experimented a LOT over the last year to find what works for the car and what resonated with our testers.
2. Audio Interaction: Keeping audio consistent on our interactive voice system is a tricky technical endeavor. Drivers shouldn't have to accept errors when in the middle of a game (if you've used Siri, you know what we mean). We are currently using a robust open source platform that is fully downloaded to one's mobile device and minimizes connection to the cloud.
3. Safety: We want you to have a great time, and to do so safely. We have designed our platform so that it is as safe as the radio. We let drivers control the pace of the game, allowing them to stay focused on the road, and pause when they need to. Also, harnessing the power of the phone’s GPS to assess the road, we deliver a dynamic experience consistent with driving conditions.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)